• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

No but I have a good idea of what it includes

care to expand?

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/knights-notepad/os-ucf-espn-matches-nbc-offer-big-east,0,967044.post

Not an ideal source but I haven't seen anything else more solid yet.

Seems like ESPN technically met the offer but isn't really offering an option for prime-time network broadcasts.  Not sure if that technically meets the same spirit of the initial offer.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

I can speak from personal experience that I have never, am not now, nor do I believe that I will ever be a fan of Duke or UNC football, although I grew up in Charlotte and followed their basketball programs since I was in high school (mid seventies). I really honestly don't believe that being a fan of a school YOU DID NOT ATTEND in x-sport necessarily generates fandom for y-sport. If anything, I would be inclined to say that football probably gens more basketball interest, because for a lot of people, the only basketball they care about kicks off in March. 

Youve got to remember here at USF & the Carolinas you are talking about the South and college football is a world of difference between here and up there.  You wouldnt have to like Duke or UNC football when NCST is winning.   Football does not generate basketball interest in New England.   UCONN's football move to FBS doesnt predate USF by much but somehow they have a top 50 football fanbase?  Their alumni alone wont do that. 

They have had significant major college sport success in BB.   There is also no professional sports team in CT anymore and UCONN football is the top football program in the six state new England area and arguably New York as well.  Who were all the people up their rooting for before UCONN?  UMASS?  Rutgers? (BC and Cuse to some degree)  Cmon when they went to the Fiesta Bowl a couple years ago people paid attention. To have a top 50 fanbase they are pulling non-alumni fans in, Id argue in part based on recognition from basketball success.

IIRC, the main publicity UConn got for going to the Fiesta bowl was a consensus that they didn't belong because they had 4-5 losses. And then they got routed. Not much good publicity from that.  And i am very sceptical about the notion that they have a top 50 fan base.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

:facepalm:

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

I think you make a good geographic-environment point. Given that there is no - for all practical purposes - football up north, that same 'fan interest formula' has no application down south. In some instances, basketball is an interesting aside between the bowl game and spring practice. And if you'll recall, Uconn got attention, and none of it good. It's one thing to be interested in a team from a fan perspective and quite another to view it as a gruesome car wreck that you just can't turn away from (a humiliating loss on the field coupled with a financial loss of greater than $1.5M). 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Now Aresco goes to the universities for a vote. Praying we tell ESPN to F OFF.

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=8972975

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

Now Aresco goes to the universities for a vote. Praying we tell ESPN to F OFF.

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=8972975

No doubt on telling ESPN to F off. I thought the NBC deal was a joint NBC/CBS deal that would have paid almost $30 million per year? I thought I'd read upwards of $25 mill from NBC for football only and another $3 or $4 mill from CBS for basketball. Given that, I don't get how ESPN offering $20 mill for football and basketball combined is even close to "matching" the NBC offer (and that's not even counting the exposure disparity).

We need to reject ESPN on principle. If USF manages to flee the BE, then who cares. If we're stuck in the BE, let's at least try to pair up with a network that hasn't actively tried to destroy or devalue the conference every single day for the past 3 or 4 years. Either scenario, F ESPN.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

As suggested a few days back, ESPN matches to deprive competitors of inventory and sticks the BE in the closet to collect dust.  I like our chances better with NBC.  The way things have gone lately we will somehow end up with the worst overall deal being offered.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

As suggested a few days back, ESPN matches to deprive competitors of inventory and sticks the BE in the closet to collect dust.  I like our chances better with NBC.  The way things have gone lately we will somehow end up with the worst overall deal being offered.

OH NO. The nBE has become the 100mpg carburetor!!

• Upvote 1