• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A New Direction

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

60 years ago boxing and baseball were by far the most popular sports. Now they are meh

Junior Seau's wrongful death suit is like the early wrongful death suits against tobacco companies. . . It'll be laughed out of court but still leave its mark. There'll be an onslaught of suits.

I'm calling it now. There'll be almost no high school football in 20 years when the worm turns on these lawsuits. Football is AT ITS PEAK.

The true new direction is away from football and to another sport or pursuit. . . . Perhaps even academics (which never goes out of style).

Edited by Carolina_Bull

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

my out of the box idea is:

promotion an relagation...

Have the big 5 conferences aligned regionally to lesser conferences that are more of a 2nd division....

Bottom 4 teams from the big 5 drop, top 4 from the 2nd division move up.... This way it ALL comes down to success on the field.

And why would the gang of four agree to this?

they would never agree and this would never come to fruition.

but it would be the best system

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

my out of the box idea is:

promotion an relagation...

Have the big 5 conferences aligned regionally to lesser conferences that are more of a 2nd division....

Bottom 4 teams from the big 5 drop, top 4 from the 2nd division move up.... This way it ALL comes down to success on the field.

I did this back in 2010, in a complete NCAA realignment. Waaaaaaaayyy too much time on my hands back then, LOL

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?/gallery/image/63-realignment/

This is actually a great idea, one ESPN had a couple years back also. They had 4 16 team conferences and the bottom two for each conference was deregulated and the top2 from each conference was regulated. I think they had it set up wher eyou played 8 teams w/in your conf, 4 outside and 1 from the lower conference. Of course USF wasnt in the top 64 with this either.

Are you able to see the image? I can't either :(

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Form a new league....  have the new league play the other league for the national title...

Form a new league....  have the new league play the other league for the national title...

Oooh, and maybe play in the Spring, too???

The ole ballcoach might even return to Tampa, too??

Edited by charsibb

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766

Not really worth it.   You don't see national televised minor-league baseball games on TV.  Nor do you see many FCS or division II college football on TV.  People want to see the best athletes and the highest level of competition--and that's what they pay for. 

I do agree we should try a new direction which is WINNING.  A winning tradition will cure all problems in the long run.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The only time D-III/D-II/FCS gets television time is playoffs. Because Lenoir-Rhyne v Wingate is not gonna draw what an Ole Miss v Clemson game would draw. Winning cures dang near everything, but I think we're gonna be seeing the football world from the back seat for a long, long, very long time. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  14
  • Days Won:  0

The USFL and the XFL think it would work.

I agree with WoolyBully, winning cures everything. And, if we had been doing more of that the past few years, we could be in a much better position.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

I agree with WoolyBully, winning cures everything. And, if we had been doing more of that the past few years, we could be in a much better position.

The USFL DID work...until Trump got involved, then when Bassett (owner of the bandits that fought to stay in the Spring) died, Trump took control and tried to complete with the NFL in the Fall. They were developing quite the following in the Spring. Had they stayed there, IMO they would still exist.

The USFL DID work...until Trump got involved, then when Bassett (owner of the bandits that fought to stay in the Spring) died, Trump took control and tried to complete with the NFL in the Fall. They were developing quite the following in the Spring. Had they stayed there, IMO they would still exist.

I agree completely.

Trump sucks.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Not really worth it.   You don't see national televised minor-league baseball games on TV.  Nor do you see many FCS or division II college football on TV.  People want to see the best athletes and the highest level of competition--and that's what they pay for. 

I do agree we should try a new direction which is WINNING.  A winning tradition will cure all problems in the long run.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The only time D-III/D-II/FCS gets television time is playoffs. Because Lenoir-Rhyne v Wingate is not gonna draw what an Ole Miss v Clemson game would draw. Winning cures dang near everything, but I think we're gonna be seeing the football world from the back seat for a long, long, very long time. 

why do people care so much about how much money their program is bringing in. I'd rather be d-1aa and play for championships then to be on the bottom of the totem pole at a higher level.