• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

IT'S OFFICIAL: Ron Cooper new Asst. HC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I hope that JP knows something we don't.

Justin Pawlowski â€@CommishOnline

If #Bucs DBs coach Ron Cooper ends up at #USF as I believe he will, that would mean 3 assistant coaches for Bucs have "gone back to college"

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Hem, on 10 Jan 2013 - 13:28, said:snapback.png

Bull Martin, on 10 Jan 2013 - 13:26, said:

snapback.png

Hem, on 10 Jan 2013 - 13:18, said:snapback.png

Bulliez, on 10 Jan 2013 - 13:13, said:snapback.png

@CommishOnline: I'm hearing that #USF could be hiring #Bucs DBs coach Ron Cooper as assistant head coach. Could happen today, but not official yet.

I'd be happy with that hire. Even though the DBs were horrible this year, I wouldn't place the blame soley on Cooper.

Yeah, but he's got a lot more recent college coaching experience than Bresnahan.  Coached some great secondaries at LSU.  Even if he's not a noted recruiter.

Right. I totally agree, I was just getting ready for the "OH MY GOD THE BUCS DBS ARE THE WORST IN THE NFL" posts.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Hem, on 10 Jan 2013 - 13:28, said:snapback.png

Bull Martin, on 10 Jan 2013 - 13:26, said:

snapback.png

Hem, on 10 Jan 2013 - 13:18, said:snapback.png

Bulliez, on 10 Jan 2013 - 13:13, said:snapback.png

@CommishOnline: I'm hearing that #USF could be hiring #Bucs DBs coach Ron Cooper as assistant head coach. Could happen today, but not official yet.

I'd be happy with that hire. Even though the DBs were horrible this year, I wouldn't place the blame soley on Cooper.

Yeah, but he's got a lot more recent college coaching experience than Bresnahan.  Coached some great secondaries at LSU.  Even if he's not a noted recruiter.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Raheem Morris is the associate or assistant head coach for the redskins and he is the db coach.

Our DC doesn't seem to have head coach experience. Cooper does. That is why he would be the assistant head coach.

Interesting you mention Raheem... I live in DC and follow the Skins; there was a huge power struggle this year between Haslett and Raheem, resulting in Shanahan giving Raheem play calling responsibilities in the 4th quarter (instead of Haslett). No idea if the structure you mention contributed to that.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/9/19/3356874/source-raheem-morris-called-the-defensive-plays-in-the-fourth-quarter

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

USF is working on this now. Remember, nothing is official yet, but the hope is that they get it done and have Ron Cooper as the assistant head coach. I asked if he'd be the DBs coach and could not get any confirmation other than him being assistant head coach. I would assume he'd coach DBs as well, but that's just an educated assumption.

Hiring someone as Asst. HC and DB coach seems like a strange setup to me when you have a newly hired Defensive Coordinator in the mix as well... recipe for a power struggle.  I'm interested to see how this plays out.

-------------------------------------------

It happens all the time.  Some teams have an Assistant Head Coach plus an Associate Head Coach, and neither is the OC or DC.  It is a way to give them an extra title so they can get more money.  Basically, Taggart is hiring two high powered defensive assistant coaches.  If they can work together, this is like a dream team of coaches on the defensive side.  Add in a couple of you and aggressive recruiters, and you can't ask much more from this staff.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

If #Bucs DBs coach Ron Cooper ends up at #USF as I believe he will, that would mean 3 assistant coaches for Bucs have "gone back to college"

-------------------------------------

Technically, but Ron Cooper is a long time college coach who only spent this past season in the NFL.  Not the same thing at all as Breshnahan (sp?).

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

-------------------------------------

Technically, but Ron Cooper is a long time college coach who only spent this past season in the NFL.  Not the same thing at all as Breshnahan (sp?).

I think he means 3 assistants with the Bucs will have gone back to the college ranks. Ron Turner to FIU, Ron Cooper to USF and not sure who the third is.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

No official word yet Toro....lately with how these hires are going, I'll be happy when there is an official announcement.

And feardabull, sorry about the name calling...I just can't take the stupidity around here lately and thought you were serious.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Regardless, if we actually land Cooper, I'll be ecstatic. This guy has coached two Thorpe award winners at LSU as well as the Honey Badger. His track record prior isn't quite as good, but perhaps he finally gets it. This could be a huge, huge home run hire...he's miles more talented at coaching than the previous crap we've had coaching the secondary (cough...Rick Smith...cough). 

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Rick Smith carried the assistant head coach tag in addition to being DBs coach under Holtz. And the third Bucs assistant would be WRs coach P.J. Fleck, now head coach at Western Michigan ...