• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The luster has already worn off

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

Running and passing at will?  The Bucs only threw for 215 yards the ENTIRE GAME despite DOMINATING on defense and ripping the heart out of the Raiders.  Have you ever played a sport in your life?  Especially in a football of that magnitude and the QB, your leader, is completing more passes to the other team than his WRs?  Yeah, I'd like to see that defense execute at a high level!  lol

Using that game at all to point at that defense is laughable with the absolute massacre the Bucs were dishing out.  Not too mention the Raiders were up against the Coach from the SEASON BEFORE who had every answer bc he installed all the schemes and new what they were doing in every facet of the game. 

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Running and passing at will?  The Bucs only threw for 215 yards the ENTIRE GAME despite DOMINATING on defense and ripping the heart out of the Raiders.  Have you ever played a sport in your life?  Especially in a football of that magnitude and the QB, your leader, is completing more passes to the other team than his WRs?  Yeah, I'd like to see that defense execute at a high level!  lol

Using that game at all to point at that defense is laughable with the absolute massacre the Bucs were dishing out.  Not too mention the Raiders were up against the Coach from the SEASON BEFORE who had every answer bc he installed all the schemes and new what they were doing in every facet of the game. 

Would you rather I put up the game he coached against Ryan Leaf? And Michael Pittman ran for 124 yards too. I'd call putting up over 300 total yards on a top 10 defense with a middle of the pack offense pretty good. 

Edited by slick1ru2

Slick, logically your argument is so flawed it's not even funny.  I like you Slick, but you are so pro Holtz, that you are jaded now my friend.

Go ahead list that Ryan Leaf game and watch what game I post after you which will make you look pretty silly.

Would you rather I put up the game he coached against Ryan Leaf? And Michael Pittman ran for 124 yards too. I'd call putting up over 300 total yards on a top 10 defense with a middle of the pack offense pretty good. 

Slick, THE OFFENSE TURNED IT OVER 5 TIMES AND LOST THE TIME OF POSSESSION BATTLE BY 15 MINUTES!  LOL  How many games in the NFL do you see with a TOP that drastic?  Look at those games and I'd bet that 300 yards is on the LOW end of the numbers put up on those defenses. 

Slick, logically your argument is so flawed it's not even funny.  I like you Slick, but you are so pro Holtz, that you are jaded now my friend.

Go ahead list that Ryan Leaf game and watch what game I post after you which will make you look pretty silly.

Pro Holtz? Nope. Just anti jerk. Much said about him was personal and not at all called for and should never have been posted. The guy is gone, best of luck, next. I just don't see much up side on this hire. Sorry. But I really hope it works out because its a new beginning for him and USF. He may be like Petrino, who knows? Much more successful at this level.

Edited by slick1ru2

Pro Holtz? Nope. Just anti jerk. The guy is gone. I just don't see much up side on this hire. Sorry. But I really hope it works out because its a new beginning for him and USF. He may be like Petrino, who knows? Much more successful at this level.

You and I are both Bulls so I don't want to drag this out as at the end the day, we both hope he's successful.  I live and breathe the NFL so I like to think I have a pretty good handle on it.  USF is the only college team I really follow.  Outside of USF, I watched may 3 games all season, yet when it comes to the NFL, at the minimum I study the stats of EVERY game EVERY week and have done so for years, followed the drafts to the point I actually attend the Senior Bowl practices which are here in Mobile where I spend quite a bit of time talking to many of the head coaches, DCs and OCs.  Any will tell you, OAK is a black hole that will kill any career and Cincy isn't far behind.  To have any success at those places is a friggin miracle.

Pro Holtz? Nope. Just anti jerk. The guy is gone. I just don't see much up side on this hire. Sorry. But I really hope it works out because its a new beginning for him and USF. He may be like Petrino, who knows? Much more successful at this level.

You and I are both Bulls so I don't want to drag this out as at the end the day, we both hope he's successful.  I live and breathe the NFL so I like to think I have a pretty good handle on it.  USF is the only college team I really follow.  Outside of USF, I watched may 3 games all season, yet when it comes to the NFL, at the minimum I study the stats of EVERY game EVERY week and have done so for years, followed the drafts to the point I actually attend the Senior Bowl practices which are here in Mobile where I spend quite a bit of time talking to many of the head coaches, DCs and OCs.  Any will tell you, OAK is a black hole that will kill any career and Cincy isn't far behind.  To have any success at those places is a friggin miracle.

I used to spend more time on it. I used to Tweet back and forth to several retired NFL players.  I put that Super Bowl up because it is easy to find and he was the DC, no matter what the outcome. I'll have to go on Twitter and see what some of the former Bucs think about it. But regardless. Its apples and oranges now.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

Still excited. Can't wait for the spring game. Can't wait for August 31st. Can't wait for the schedule to be released, so I can finalize my travel plans for the Michigan State game. Have already flagged my seats for next year. Ya'll keep jumping off the bus. That way I'm guaranteed what I want. :D

• Upvote 1

What are the chances the Big East has a TV deal next year that includes a way for those of us not in Tampa to see the Spring game?

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,370

So first it was all offense and no defense, and now it's one guy who made them a top 10 defense. I'm sure the D Coordinator just sat there with his thumb up his ass for 4 years. Keep reaching for those straws, Dude. How about you admit you're wrong for a change, dude.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His raiders defense was STACKED. It should have been a number 1 defense.  HoF DB  Rod Woodson, Bill Romanowski (solid veteran LB), Charles Woodson (multi Pro Bowls), and Trace Armstrong (highest sacks in NFL 2000, multiple pro bowls).  And if you actually watched the Bucs Raiders Super Bowl, the Bucs offense at one point scored 34 unanswered points. Gruden had nothing to do with the defense so it wasn't like they knew the defensive plays. The Bucs offense was ranked 18th.  You're the one that's wrong dude. He only has a decent defense when its stacked with super stars and pro bowl players. When he doesn't, his defenses are middle of the pack...at best.

Just to clarify a few things... I remember Trace Armstrong when he played for the Dolphins until 2000 (the team he led the league in sacks with, not the Raiders). He got injured not long after he joined the Raiders and was never the same thereafter. He was in his mid- to late-30s by that time. Bill Romanowski was in his late 30s by the time he got to the Raiders and was WAY over his prime. Rod Woodson was still solid and got to the pro bowl one of those years but he was also in his late 30s and not the same player he once was. Charles Woodson was really the only player who was in his prime and a consistent pro bowler during Bresnahan's tenure. It seems to be that Bresnahan had an old, veteran group and still managed to hold it together.

Also, the assertion that Gruden knew nothing of his former team's defense is preposterous.