• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The luster has already worn off

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

So first it was all offense and no defense, and now it's one guy who made them a top 10 defense. I'm sure the D Coordinator just sat there with his thumb up his ass for 4 years. Keep reaching for those straws, Dude. How about you admit you're wrong for a change, dude.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His raiders defense was STACKED. It should have been a number 1 defense.  HoF DB  Rod Woodson, Bill Romanowski (solid veteran LB), Charles Woodson (multi Pro Bowls), and Trace Armstrong (highest sacks in NFL 2000, multiple pro bowls).  And if you actually watched the Bucs Raiders Super Bowl, the Bucs offense at one point scored 34 unanswered points. Gruden had nothing to do with the defense so it wasn't like they knew the defensive plays. The Bucs offense was ranked 18th.  You're the one that's wrong dude. He only has a decent defense when its stacked with super stars and pro bowl players. When he doesn't, his defenses are middle of the pack...at best.

Just to clarify a few things... I remember Trace Armstrong when he played for the Dolphins until 2000 (the team he led the league in sacks with, not the Raiders). He got injured not long after he joined the Raiders and was never the same thereafter. He was in his mid- to late-30s by that time. Bill Romanowski was in his late 30s by the time he got to the Raiders and was WAY over his prime. Rod Woodson was still solid and got to the pro bowl one of those years but he was also in his late 30s and not the same player he once was. Charles Woodson was really the only player who was in his prime and a consistent pro bowler during Bresnahan's tenure. It seems to be that Bresnahan had an old, veteran group and still managed to hold it together.

Also, the assertion that Gruden knew nothing of his former team's defense is preposterous.

You could be right on all that but what was remembered about the Raiders of that time wasn't its defense, except for a couple of outstanding players, it was its offense with a hot QB and players like Jerry Rice. That's what got them to the Super Bowl, not the defense.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Slick, logically your argument is so flawed it's not even funny.  I like you Slick, but you are so pro Holtz, that you are jaded now my friend.

Go ahead list that Ryan Leaf game and watch what game I post after you which will make you look pretty silly.

Slick's whining because he is a Skippy apologist. Skip was 5 and 7 and then, 3 and 9 which is why he was shown the door. If he had been 7 and 5 and 9 and 3 he would still be here. USF is not a name brand with zero national buzz and will not get the front line coaching talent some on here unreasonably expect. Landing someone with NFL experience is certainly not a terrible thing and he has to be better than what we saw in 2012. Edited by Mission9

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Dang ... Hem vs. Reefster in one thread and Hem vs. slick in another thread ... people are getting pretty pugilistic lately.  

All I can do is  :popcorn:

WOO HOO, a pi$$ing contest and I'm NOT involved!

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Dang ... Hem vs. Reefster in one thread and Hem vs. slick in another thread ... people are getting pretty pugilistic lately.  

Ain't just me bro. As you can see, slick feels the need to fight with EVERYONE.

Slick, logically your argument is so flawed it's not even funny.  I like you Slick, but you are so pro Holtz, that you are jaded now my friend.

Go ahead list that Ryan Leaf game and watch what game I post after you which will make you look pretty silly.

Slick's whining because he is a Skippy apologist. Skip was 5 and 7 and then, 3 and 9 which is why he was shown the door. If he had been 7 and 5 and 9 and 3 he would still be here. USF is not a name brand with zero national buzz and will not get the front line coaching talent some on here unreasonably expect. Landing someone with NFL experience is certainly not a terrible thing and he has to be better than what we saw in 2012.

********. Total ********. You two are the ones that keep bringing him up. Maybe you two have a thing for him.

You couple of girls aren't "everyone".

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

You couple of girls aren't "everyone".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C'mon Slick, make it true. Fight with me too. Please? :roflmao:

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

So first it was all offense and no defense, and now it's one guy who made them a top 10 defense. I'm sure the D Coordinator just sat there with his thumb up his ass for 4 years. Keep reaching for those straws, Dude. How about you admit you're wrong for a change, dude.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His raiders defense was STACKED. It should have been a number 1 defense.  HoF DB  Rod Woodson, Bill Romanowski (solid veteran LB), Charles Woodson (multi Pro Bowls), and Trace Armstrong (highest sacks in NFL 2000, multiple pro bowls).  And if you actually watched the Bucs Raiders Super Bowl, the Bucs offense at one point scored 34 unanswered points. Gruden had nothing to do with the defense so it wasn't like they knew the defensive plays. The Bucs offense was ranked 18th.  You're the one that's wrong dude. He only has a decent defense when its stacked with super stars and pro bowl players. When he doesn't, his defenses are middle of the pack...at best.

-------------------------------

This is hilarious.  Half the group says the coach is terrible because when he had terrible players the defense wasn't statistically good.  The other half says that when the coach had teams that were good statistically it was only because of good players.  No matter what, the coach was bad.

The reality is that you need both.  But I don't think you'll see many schools with All-Americans or teams with All-Pros if they have bad coaching.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

What are the chances the Big East has a TV deal next year that includes a way for those of us not in Tampa to see the Spring game?

-----------------------------------------

I think you need to ask someone from TBP to Skype from their phone.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Slick's whining because he is a Skippy apologist. Skip was 5 and 7 and then, 3 and 9 which is why he was shown the door. If he had been 7 and 5 and 9 and 3 he would still be here. USF is not a name brand with zero national buzz and will not get the front line coaching talent some on here unreasonably expect. Landing someone with NFL experience is certainly not a terrible thing and he has to be better than what we saw in 2012.
 ********. Total ********. You two are the ones that keep bringing him up. Maybe you two have a thing for him.
Who was the one talking about Rattay getting hired at La Tech?

I am happy with the hire and was unable to say that 3 years ago.