• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach T at the game tonight

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Gotta say, for a holiday time game, I like what the students are up to. Now, a ringleader group gives a signal before free throws and the whole section yells "Horns Up!" Then they put up the hand sign to support the free thrower.

Actually, I believe it's the band that is the ring leader for yelling that. It was Sunday for the Nebraska game. I didn't go to tonight's game due to work but did watch it on television.

Any idea why they stopped doing it late in the game?

I think it stopped because of the whole colliding of the Student Section's "Horns Up" & the band's "Bulls Up". Rumble had it in the beginning and could be heard clearly on tv, but then it started to sound like "asdfaigj up" because of the two words [which was quite funny and surprising". All in all, I think it was a decent turnout [from what I saw on tv] for the students on a Tuesday Night and on holiday break. Remember, housing on campus is closed.

Its always been "horns up" for as long as I can remember. It was always just one or two people saying it. Then the band decided last year to start taking it and saying "bulls up". We politely told them several times that it was "horns up" to which they gave us smart ass remarks. Since then its always been a battle between the two sides to say it louder than the other (especially at women's games when its so empty). So now we have about 5-8 people yelling "Horns Up" loudly. That's why both sides are on opposite sides of the student section.

As for the "boing, boing, woo" chant. We usually save it for when we are winning big and the game is starting to drag out (like towards the end last night, although only the band tried to do it).

We do need for cheers. We only have a few good ones, and the few other that the cheerleaders do are horrible (ie. Bulls, take it to the hoop)

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

Amazing that the band won't get on the same page as the students.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Are we seriously discussing the band at basketball games?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Are we seriously discussing the band at basketball games?

Bands can be a key component at basketball games ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Gotta say, for a holiday time game, I like what the students are up to. Now, a ringleader group gives a signal before free throws and the whole section yells "Horns Up!" Then they put up the hand sign to support the free thrower.

Actually, I believe it's the band that is the ring leader for yelling that. It was Sunday for the Nebraska game. I didn't go to tonight's game due to work but did watch it on television.

I think it stopped because of the whole colliding of the Student Section's "Horns Up" & the band's "Bulls Up". Rumble had it in the beginning and could be heard clearly on tv, but then it started to sound like "asdfaigj up" because of the two words [which was quite funny and surprising". All in all, I think it was a decent turnout [from what I saw on tv] for the students on a Tuesday Night and on holiday break. Remember, housing on campus is closed.

Its always been "horns up" for as long as I can remember. It was always just one or two people saying it. Then the band decided last year to start taking it and saying "bulls up". We politely told them several times that it was "horns up" to which they gave us smart ass remarks. Since then its always been a battle between the two sides to say it louder than the other (especially at women's games when its so empty). So now we have about 5-8 people yelling "Horns Up" loudly. That's why both sides are on opposite sides of the student section.

As for the "boing, boing, woo" chant. We usually save it for when we are winning big and the game is starting to drag out (like towards the end last night, although only the band tried to do it).

We do need for cheers. We only have a few good ones, and the few other that the cheerleaders do are horrible (ie. Bulls, take it to the hoop)

One thing I fondly remember from the days when a good amount of students actually did care about hoops (pre football) was the orchestrated responses to the visiting team player introductions. Only one I distinctly remember was "Who cares!" ... Turning their backs and reading the paper was also a good one. Stupid things but when done by a full section or two was nice. Other thing I remember was the Farrah Fawcett poster ... and "**** you" to those saying "Who??"

One thing I fondly remember from the days when a good amount of students actually did care about hoops (pre football) was the orchestrated responses to the visiting team player introductions. Only one I distinctly remember was "Who cares!" ... Turning their backs and reading the paper was also a good one. Stupid things but when done by a full section or two was nice. Other thing I remember was the Farrah Fawcett poster ... and "**** you" to those saying "Who??"

We still do the turn around thing during lineups and say "Hey <insert players name>, YOU SUCK!". Still not enough students do it to make it noticeable.

Plus when the opposing team shoots free-throws a few people have a nice little system going. When they make it: "You still suck!". When the miss the 1st: "You DO suck!". When the miss both: "You REALLY suck!".

Big head posters will likely start appearing once the new semester starts. Word is the Titanic will make an appearance.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Let's hope a little of Willie T rubs off on the roundball players as well.

Stan's a great coach, but doesn't show his passion. If Tags is in the house, it might just ratchet up the emotion for everybody.

Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but the second half was more upbeat...

First off I'm pretty sure the basketball team didn't take notice of Willie Taggart. I mean it's not like Nick Saban, Les Miles, Urban Meyer, or some other famous accomplished Head Coach was in the building.

Secondly, Stan has shared the same athletic department(Arkansas) with a rah rah, promise everything, used car salesman football coach before, so Taggart is not going to effect his approach to coaching.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Stan's a great coach, but doesn't show his passion.

Stan was showing some serious passion going into the halftime of the basketball game. This wasn't shown on TV, but I think he was chewing out one of his players for allowing Youngstown's guard to score 14 points so easily in the 1st half. They walked back into the lockeroom very quickly, but I think it was Jawanza Poland or Martino Brock getting the brunt of Heath's ire.

Stan was showing some serious passion going into the halftime of the basketball game. This wasn't shown on TV, but I think he was chewing out one of his players for allowing Youngstown's guard to score 14 points so easily in the 1st half. They walked back into the lockeroom very quickly, but I think it was Jawanza Poland or Martino Brock getting the brunt of Heath's ire.

It was Jawanza. He was getting chewed out because he let YSU's guy get the corner and make that last basket before the half. There were a number of four letter words getting dropped by coach.

I'm sure halftime was very spirited to say the least. But Stan has always been the type of coach who is very calm and collected when on the court. You will rarely see him scream.

Edited by outrunner

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

It was Jawanza. He was getting chewed out because he let YSU's guy get the corner and make that last basket before the half. There were a number of four letter words getting dropped by coach.

I'm sure halftime was very spirited to say the least. But Stan has always been the type of coach who is very calm and collected when on the court. You will rarely see him scream.

Thanks for the inside info. Glad to know he's got a temper when necessary.