• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Aresco's Big East Plan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

What, in the history of USF football, makes anyone believe that we'll be one of the best of any conference? Yes, we've won some "Name" games. So has a bunch of other,smaller, schools. We've laid big ones almost every season in football and basketball.

I'm sorry, but USF has research dollars and NOTHING ELSE but a large TV market and even larger ego to offer. When USF grows up and learns how to compete in the upper echelon of college sports we'll get to play. Until then we all sound like a bunch of whiny-ass school kids.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

If Aresco was Commish back when the Providence Mafia put Meatball Marinatto in place. Oh what would have been.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

We've had our moments (Auburn, FSU, Notre Dame, Clemson, UM, etc.) but I agree we haven't really accomplished much of anything yet. Even UCiF, as crappy a program as it is, has won C-USA before. I'm hopeful that we can one day (hopefully soon) win the watered-down Big East and make the conversation about whether we have or should have a place at the "Big Boys" table meaningful again.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

http://ajerseyguy.com/

1. Sell Big East name to C7

2. Add ECU all sports

3. Add western teams such as either Air Force, BYU, Nevada, UNLV or Fresno. Go to as many as 16.

4. Possibly go all sports in the western division.

5. Rename Big East

That's not a bad strategy.

I agree, its a very good idea.

This is what we could be looking at...

Eastern Division:

(1) Cincinnati (-)

(2) UConn (-)

(3) South Florida (-)

(4) Central Florida (2013)

(5) Temple (-)

(6) East Carolina (2014)

(7) Tulane (2014)

(8) Navy (2015)

Western Division:

(1) Memphis (2013)

(2) SMU (2013)

(3) Houston (2013)

(4) Boise State (2013)

(5) San Diego State (2013)

(6) Air Force (2014-15 -- My Prediction)

(7) Nevada (2014-15 -- My Prediction)

(8) UNLV (2014-15 -- My Prediction)

I would prefer BYU, but I don't see "Conference America" being able to lure them into the fold... if anything BYU and the PAC or Big12 will eventually join together. This is just my opinion. Personally I think that Aersco needs to put on a full court press to bring in BYU. Having BYU and adding two of the service academies brings with it much needed history and prestige in football that this conference is missing. On the basketball side we have plenty of prestige, even without the seven catholic schools, but lack prestige on the football side since we lost Cuse, WVU, and Pitt.

Prestige does not mean that they are good, it just means that they used to be good, perhaps they have a few out dated national championships, and have been around for a while.

If we can't get BYU then it might hurt us some since we lack that cornerstone school that can anchor the conference together. Personally I would not mind having UNLV and Nevada since its an excuse to vacation in Reno and Vegas.

Edited by Bubba Bull

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686

I like it Bubba Bull. This is the kind of conference that, if given a decade or two to develop, will eventually become a "major" conference and probably improve its "access bowl" participation down the road. It also would get a decent TV contract (my speculation). In the meantime, it'd be fun to watch.

Again, I'd PREFER to be in a Power 5 conference. But this would be a good plan B.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

any conference with ECU and UCF rhymes with gay..... sorry I couldnt resist.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

what I really want to know is will we have to wait to get an autobid to the NCAA Basketball tournament?

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  197
  • Days Won:  0

I do not know the answer to this but it is probably worth discussing, if the Big East is imploding and Uconn and Cincy are looking to form a new league what if less = more?

Do we need 16 teams in a league, would 10 or even 8 suffice. Are these watered down teams we are adding not really bringing anything to the table. How much revenue are they really adding at the expense of having poor quality. They Big 12 certainly feels that 10 is a fine number for them unless a marquee program joings that makes sense. They have sacrficed a championship game. I just do not know.

What if a league formed of just the old Big East remaining teams and the new teams that were offered first?

1. Uconn

2. Cincy

3. USF

4. Temple

5. UCF

6. Houston

7. SMU

8. Boise State

9. San Diego State

Only add a 10th team if it made sense, try to get BYU to join.

I really do not know if less would work for us, but I thought I would throw it out there.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I do not know the answer to this but it is probably worth discussing, if the Big East is imploding and Uconn and Cincy are looking to form a new league what if less = more?

Do we need 16 teams in a league, would 10 or even 8 suffice. Are these watered down teams we are adding not really bringing anything to the table. How much revenue are they really adding at the expense of having poor quality. They Big 12 certainly feels that 10 is a fine number for them unless a marquee program joings that makes sense. They have sacrficed a championship game. I just do not know.

What if a league formed of just the old Big East remaining teams and the new teams that were offered first?

1. Uconn

2. Cincy

3. USF

4. Temple

5. UCF

6. Houston

7. SMU

8. Boise State

9. San Diego State

I really do not know if less would work for us, but I thought I would throw it out there.

I see what you mean, but if we are going to remain relevant in the super-conference era then we will need a super-conference.

The main reason why the Big East imploded was because it believed that less was more, while every other conference went for excess at our expense.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251

1. Uconn

2. Cincy

3. USF

4. Temple

5. UCF

6. Houston

7. SMU

8. Boise State

9. San Diego State

For football maybe, but I doubt SDSU would be all that interested in flying their smaller sports across the country for a regular season matchup.

The ONLY way this works out is if they create a 7-8 team western division.