• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Boise State shakiness rumors persist

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  15
  • Days Won:  0

Hey Bulls Fans thought I'd stop by now the season was over and help clear up a few things and probably muddy the waters some as well. It was a tough year for you all as you had to suffer Skipper one more season, but I think Taggart is a gem. Give him a little time to recruit and build things because his schemes are sound and just needing talent to make USF into something very special.

As for BSU (of which I am just an alumni with very limited connections) but BSU has been pretty straight forward in all the conference realignment mess to date. They just want what is the best place, both short term and long term, for their athletics. The football only invite was tenuous at best and with the addition of ECU and Tulane it lowered the chances that an all sport western division was going to happen. Then add in the defections to other conferences and the exodus of the C7, I believe that the dollars we're talking about for the new television contract just evaporated. The new Big East doesn't have any "star power" left to generate big bucks. BSU can generate ok, but let's be honest, BSU is still more of a curiosity than a national power. Especially in terms of media revenue.

That being said, BSU has to do what is best for BSU. The MWC just announced a reworking of its media contract and it would be open to full renegotiation if additions of BSU and/or BYU were to return. So let me use an analogy then to explain it. If you have two potential dates to the prom, and you're not "in love" with either, you weigh your options. Who's sexier? Who's going to take you to the most expensive restaurant? Who's got the nicest car? For BSU to hint at wanting "everything" then that’s not a factor of BSU being greedy, just assessing what each "date" is willing to give you. You never open a negotiation with your bottom line, you can leave too much on the table if you do that.

With college football as it is right now, the Big 5 and everyone else, BSU is just making sure it gets the best possible deal out of a crappy hand. Wouldn’t you all do the same if you could?

As for BSU and Petersen, Coach Pete has turned down or not interviewed formally with UCLA, Stanford, Arky, Wisconsin, UNC, Ole Miss, Cal, Arizona, Washington, Texas Tech, and USC. The only school that appears to be an open threat to “steal†him is Oregon….. He has deep ties there.

While BSU may have only turned D1 in 1996, we have won consistently at all levels. 388-147-2 including national titles at every level of competition (except D1… yet). Winning is not new, however, I’ll be the first one to tell you that achieving what we have since turning D1 is mind numbing to any older Bronco fan. I got to pinch myself when I hear us compared to UW, Alabama, USC, or UF on any level. It has been a helluva ride.

Good luck, Bulls, may we soon play each other on the field….

Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year.

Edited by Bronco69

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

And you know what happens? The two girls start talking to each other and realize that the guy isn't Florida or Alabama and they both can do better.

Boise needs to be very careful. They have a bit of leverage, but the Smurfs don't exactly have the hugest national following.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

I think those are some very valid points from someone with ties to the program. The last losing year they had was back in '97, and with a 72.4% winning record since '68, that's not bad (second only to Nebraska!). However, it's Boise. Idaho. And I think the peak was beating Oklahoma. Not that I think they could beat Oklahoma with any regularity, but it's still a high water mark. The more I read about conference realignment, the more it seems to me that anything but the P5 is just one giant stew of teams hoping for an invite. I don't see where going the BE or MW is anything more than six of one, half a dozen of the other.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  15

I agree whole heartedly about where BSU really ranks. Anyone that does not wear blue-colored recognizes BSU is in no better a position long term than everyone looking in at the Big 5. Eventually, it will be the Big 4 of 16 teams and everyone else.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436

I agree whole heartedly about where BSU really ranks. Anyone that does not wear blue-colored recognizes BSU is in no better a position long term than everyone looking in at the Big 5. Eventually, it will be the Big 4 of 16 teams and everyone else.

Congratulations on the Maaco Bowl win.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Fo' sho'

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204

I think those are some very valid points from someone with ties to the program. The last losing year they had was back in '97, and with a 72.4% winning record since '68, that's not bad (second only to Nebraska!). However, it's Boise. Idaho. And I think the peak was beating Oklahoma. Not that I think they could beat Oklahoma with any regularity, but it's still a high water mark. The more I read about conference realignment, the more it seems to me that anything but the P5 is just one giant stew of teams hoping for an invite. I don't see where going the BE or MW is anything more than six of one, half a dozen of the other.

The system just means for those outside of the power conferences that the priority must be on winning. If you go 12-0 or 11-1, you have a real shot of getting in. With stronger recruiting, USF could be in good shape with this. But if more than one team can consistently do this then there will be more outcries for letting more teams from the lower tier in, reducing the power of the power conferences little by little.

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Let's get back at it:

http://www.ctpost.co...ain-4141130.php

Report: Boise State in talks to stay in Mountain West

Updated 7:59 am, Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Boise State is in talks with the Mountain West Conference about the Broncos staying in the conference instead of leaving for the Big East in 2013, according to an ESPN report.

The Mountain West announced on Friday it had restructured its current TV media rights deal with CBS. The restructured deal gives the Mountain West the right to sell packages of games to two other networks, which could mean millions more for current Mountain West programs.

If Boise State does decide to return to the Mountain West, San Diego State -- also ticketed to join the Big East in 2013 -- could join the Broncos as the league's 12th member. The Mountain West intentionally stopped at 10 programs, leaving the door open for both the Broncos and Aztecs to return to the conference. The conference could be able to split into two divisions and host a conference championship game.

The Big East, according to CBS Sports, has talked with Fresno State and UNLV about joining the conference for football only. The league is losing seven basketball-centric schools, but their exit won't become final until a gaggle of lawyers agree on the major talking points -- when the new conference can begin play, participating schools, the name of the league, sites for the conference tournament, terms of the television contract and so on.

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, no exit fee is expected for the seven, which includes Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Seton Hall, DePaul and Providence. Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Dayton, Virginia Commonwealth and Gonzaga have been mentioned as possible candidates to make it a 10- or 12-team basketball conference.

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Report-Boise-State-in-talks-to-stay-in-Mountain-4141130.php#ixzz2GBFb7aq3

Edited by Economics_Nerd82

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

^^^^ this would be Armageddon for the conference ...

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Acceptance stage reached.