• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Official Assistant Coaches Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Okay... I thought they were going to fire the new guy they got. Haven't caught up with the Hogs lately.

Well, if it's a DC job, I don't see how USF wouldn't be a better job! I fee much better about it now.

How would the USF DC job be better than almost any SEC DC job? SEC generally rules the roost when it comes to defense. I'm sure he'd love to come back "home" to Florida and he's very familiar with recruiting the area, but our advantages end there. We can't compete with Arkansas when it comes to facilities, pay, conference stability, and professional opportunities. Kids just want to play in the SEC. I'm more worried about it since they haven't named a DC yet.

I'd say the only reason is that he'd be back home in FL, and not in that shizhole Arkansas.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

Oh, I thought Arkansas was still looking for a DC. I can't see why he'd go to Arkansas for that unless Ash is a season or two away from leaving and Bielema promised Shannon the DC job. Other than that, I think it'd be a mistake for him to go.

Edited by TheUpperHand

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Okay... I thought they were going to fire the new guy they got. Haven't caught up with the Hogs lately.

Well, if it's a DC job, I don't see how USF wouldn't be a better job! I fee much better about it now.

How would the USF DC job be better than almost any SEC DC job? SEC generally rules the roost when it comes to defense. I'm sure he'd love to come back "home" to Florida and he's very familiar with recruiting the area, but our advantages end there. We can't compete with Arkansas when it comes to facilities, pay, conference stability, and professional opportunities. Kids just want to play in the SEC. I'm more worried about it since they haven't named a DC yet.

I'd say the only reason is that he'd be back home in FL, and not in that shizhole Arkansas.

This .... Tampa > Fayetteville

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

That, and the recently established fact that it's a DC job at USF vs. a potential position coach at Ark ... kind of a no-brainer imo.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

That, and the recently established fact that it's a DC job at USF vs. a potential position coach at Ark ... kind of a no-brainer imo.

Several SEC schools pay position coaches more than we have ever paid a coordinator. And the gap between the Big East and SEC is only growing. Our assistant salary pool is not even sustainable if the conference devolves into CUSA

Right now we look to have a pretty sizable amount of money for a DC but its only going to be on scale with what an SEC school could pay to have a very valuable position coach. If the money is close would you want to have more or less responsibility from your job?

It really is going to come down to where Shannon is trying to go with his career. He could jump from SEC position coach to SEC DC and see the same pay as if he goes from USF DC to a non-BCS head job or USF DC to SEC DC.

I don't see it as a no brainer at all.

If he takes a DC job here and we do well, then there's no reason someone won't try to steal him away as a HC for a major program. This isn't some new up and comer DC we're talking about, it's Randy Shannon. Why should he take an SEC posistions coach over the Big12 positions coach he has now?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

If he takes a DC job here and we do well, then there's no reason someone won't try to steal him away as a HC for a major program. This isn't some new up and comer DC we're talking about, it's Randy Shannon. Why should he take an SEC posistions coach over the Big12 positions coach he has now?

Easy.... SEC>>>B12

You wanna talk HC? Ok that's different. But a position coach? I disagree.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

he'd take it for the same reasons he'd take the USF DC job. its a step up, and more money. The SEC is king and TCU is just an also ran in the Big 12 anyway.

when is the last time a Big East coordinator landed a head job at a major program outside the conference? From what I've seen recently the major programs are having no problems hiring the Big East Head coaches. Our best coordinators recently have left to take the same roles at Iowa St and Texas A&M. We even had an OC leave to be the QB coach at another team in the conference a few years ago.

I do not see Randy Shannon as an exception when his only extra claim is that he has already failed as a head coach. We didn't even want retreads like Tommy Bowden and Fulmer here and they had much more success than Shannon. A major program simply will not allow it.

Edited by slowdown

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

How? SEC... especially on the defensive side is much better than any B12 program... higher salaries and more notoriety.