• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Official Assistant Coaches Thread

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

^ I'm concerned CWT is using a good 'ol boy network like Holtz did. It wasn't obvious at first with CSH either.

That said, he has my "trust" for the moment.

I'm sure CWT will be relieved to know that ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

I as well am more interested int he Defensive side of the ball. Defense wins championships. And this past year, the defensive was well......................whats the word I am looking for................Poor. Just leave it at that.

Personally I would like to see Shannon in Tampa. My only concern there is, can we afford him? I do not think any of us can answer that specific question.

My top 2 guys I would like to see there as DC are either Shannon or bring Wally home.

The ability to afford Randy Shannon would not be one of my top concerns about Randy Shannon coming to Tampa as defensive coordinator.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

You do not hear me complaining. I'm sure some of you probably expected me to blast these hires. Well I cannot complain with these hires. If he truly is the coach I want him to be than the offensive coordinator really has no pull. He seems like he runs his own offense and he will call the plays. The coordinator will only make suggestions for audibles. Most really good head coaches play this way. I too am more worried about who he hires on that side of the ball. Defense. He was a qb. He needs a good DC. I think the hire of randy shannon would be ideal. You look at his options. He needs to prove himself before becoming a head coach again IMO. If he goes to FSU he inherits a great defense what kind of change can me make? If he comes into USF he gets a 100th ranked defense. He can look like a hero and virtually be sent to the top of list for another job. I'm okay with being that stepping stone. He can instantly bring us recruits we had no chance at. We need that hire.

This

Agreed although I'll note that Shannon can't go to FSU because they've hired Ken Pruitt as their DC. It was official yesterday or the day before.

It's not Ken Pruitt, it's Jeremy Pruitt ... and for all those concerned about where our assistant coaches are coming from, Pruitt was coaching high school football 6 years ago when Saban made him his Director of Player Development ... moved him to DB coach the next year. I'm sure if you check out most major programs, they're littered with asst coaches that come from lower levels and succeed. Stop being so ******* worried about where they're coming from and wait to see how they actually do at this level ... I fully realize this requires some degree of patience and that I'm basically pissing up a rope with some with this suggestion ...

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

You do not hear me complaining. I'm sure some of you probably expected me to blast these hires. Well I cannot complain with these hires. If he truly is the coach I want him to be than the offensive coordinator really has no pull. He seems like he runs his own offense and he will call the plays. The coordinator will only make suggestions for audibles. Most really good head coaches play this way. I too am more worried about who he hires on that side of the ball. Defense. He was a qb. He needs a good DC. I think the hire of randy shannon would be ideal. You look at his options. He needs to prove himself before becoming a head coach again IMO. If he goes to FSU he inherits a great defense what kind of change can me make? If he comes into USF he gets a 100th ranked defense. He can look like a hero and virtually be sent to the top of list for another job. I'm okay with being that stepping stone. He can instantly bring us recruits we had no chance at. We need that hire.

This

Agreed although I'll note that Shannon can't go to FSU because they've hired Ken Pruitt as their DC. It was official yesterday or the day before.

It's not Ken Pruitt, it's Jeremy Pruitt ... and for all those concerned about where our assistant coaches are coming from, Pruitt was coaching high school football 6 years ago when Saban made him his Director of Player Development ... moved him to DB coach the next year. I'm sure if you check out most major programs, they're littered with asst coaches that come from lower levels and succeed. Stop being so ******* worried about where they're coming from and wait to see how they actually do at this level ... I fully realize this requires some degree of patience and that I'm basically pissing up a rope with some with this suggestion ...

Right Jeremy Pruitt, not Ken.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Days Won:  0

Head coaches are going to bring in assistant coaches they've either coached with before or have some sort-of connection to. This happens 90% of the time when coaches go to another school: They bring at least half of their previous staff and hire coaches they're familiar with from the outside. Coaching is all about connections. You can go on and on and on about how Shannon or Weinke or any others could be a perfect fit for our program, but if CWT doesn't know them well, the likelihood of them coming here is greatly diminished. Of course, there are exceptions, but most of the time coaches bring in people they know.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Head coaches are going to bring in assistant coaches they've either coached with before or have some sort-of connection to. This happens 90% of the time when coaches go to another school: They bring at least half of their previous staff and hire coaches they're familiar with from the outside. Coaching is all about connections. You can go on and on and on about how Shannon or Weinke or any others could be a perfect fit for our program, but if CWT doesn't know them well, the likelihood of them coming here is greatly diminished. Of course, there are exceptions, but most of the time coaches bring in people they know.

It happens in real life all the time. If you have two people applying for a job reporting to you, would you hire the person you've worked with before and you KNOW they will get the job done, or hire someone you don't know? It naturally happens more in the coaching profession because there are a lot less jobs nationwide.

The difference is that when someone is hired for an accounting job there aren't fans on a message board critiquing the hire.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Not what you know, but who you know.