• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart named USF coach?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

I like how the trolls come out after the announcement. Where where you all when we were talking about this 4 days ago? I support coach Taggart.

+1

We know who the trolls are

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Holtz was a run first type of guy but couldn't get the big backs he needed. BIG O line were becoming illusive as well. Hope Taggart can turn that around and quickly. We should have a head start on CUSA since we've been in the big east for so long. I don't want to hear excuses if he loses.

Holtz was not a run first guy. last year we led big east in rushing with scott. we still passed the ball 35 times per game on average. he was always pass first. holtz finally discoverd his TE 2 1/2 years into his tenure. Taggart likes to use TEs. don't need big linemen to run.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Was only on the board briefly last night. Just caught up on the 16 pages. My 2 cents. This is a bit of a risky hire but one that has great upside. Haven't watched WKU so don't know what type of O or D to expect other than some on here have said he likes a power running game. That scares me a little. How long does it take to recruit and develop offensive linemen that can run block? Some of the young guys on the O line showed some promise in run blocking so here's hoping.

Most fans should be happy with this since some twitter poll showed him as the fans choice. Some of the huge donors are happy with this. I'm good with it. My preference would have been someone known for putting together a high powered offense. Obviously you want to win games but, like USF basketball last year, I don't want it to be painful to watch while we're winning. 9 - 6 games just aren't entertaining. I'll take them if we have the 9 but would rather be watching a 42 - 35 game.

Some of my concern goes back to the topic I had started on recruiting. Does the fact that CWT is from the area guarantee getting top flight recruits from the area? Anyone can sign kids from Florida. But can you bring in the top recruits? Not saying he can't but not sure with the crappy conference if we are a destination resort. You lose that "when we win our conference you will be playing in a BCS game" sales pitch.

Part of what I like about the hire is that IF he has success we have a shot of retaining him. Some of the other names thrown out there like Davis and Petrino (don't believe he was ever in consideration) would be gone as soon as they got a better offer (Big 5 conference).

I just read something on his top recruiter that I assume will come with him. He was pulling in 3 stars to wku where he was up against middle tier bcs programs for them. it seems as though they had better offers than a lot of the guys Holtz was signing. I like Harbaugh's offense. You have to have a good running game to win in college. look at UF,FSU, and miami in the past. top notch nfl runners. he likes TEs and we have a couple that look real good. I think it's easier for lineman to run block and I believe ours showed they were better run blockers than pass blockers this year. every hire has risk. I think this guy is tailor made for this job.

Here is the bio on Ray Woodie, Taggart's recruiter mentioned above. http://m.wkusports.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=204864413&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=5400http://m.wkusports.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=204864413&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=5400

I don't see much risk in this hire, but rather the unknown at this level. I think we will know a lot about what to expect over the next couple of years by the coordinators and staff he brings in. Snyder was Holtz only good hire and keeping Scott, in my opinion was ok. The rest of his staff were not really proven to be successful at the BCS level. If he is smart, Taggart won't simply bring his buddies with him just because they were with him at WKU.

I don't see a downside to the hire. From all indications, recruiting should go up. Taggart had to recruit to Stanford. He knows how to recruit good students. Therefore, academic performance should continue to rise and improving upon the W-L record shouldn't be that tough.

For me, success will begin when he begins to form his staff. Then securing the recruiting class.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Confused as to why some people think we were going to go after some big name...wouldn't have some of the other schools looking for coaches go after Petrino, Davis or others? I haven't heard their names, nor were they hired. We are in a sinking conference, have had a couple miserable seasons and a wavering fan base. WT has getting a lot of hype for national outlets as an up and coming coach. This guy has fire and passion, just like our first coach. I say give him a shot, let him build his staff and get some recruites in here before all the critism and bickering

Confused as to why some people think we were going to go after some big name...wouldn't have some of the other schools looking for coaches go after Petrino, Davis or others? I haven't heard their names, nor were they hired. We are in a sinking conference, have had a couple miserable seasons and a wavering fan base. WT has getting a lot of hype for national outlets as an up and coming coach. This guy has fire and passion, just like our first coach. I say give him a shot, let him build his staff and get some recruites in here before all the critism and bickering

The thing is, the big names were coming after us. Butch Davis REALLY wanted this job. He even did an interview today with Auman explaining what an awesome opportunity he saw this as. Houston Nutt was really pushing to get this job. Tommy Bowden, etc. etc. etc.

Taggart was the guy all along. He just makes too much sense. I don't think they ever seriously considered anyone but him.

This.

This hire went so smoothly and so quickly,without any kind of controversy. Makes me think there was only one name on Doug's shortlist.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

It would be awesome to see him start a usf chant with our student body! This guy is going to be a great hire. Lets see what happens

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

from today's Bradenton Herald:

At least Manatee High football fans had one reason to rejoice Friday night.

Willie Taggart, the quarterback on the Hurricanes’ 1992 state title-winning team, will be named the new head football coach at the University of South Florida

http://www.bradenton.com/2012/12/07/4308483/reports-manatees-willie-taggart.html

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

Here is the bio on Ray Woodie, Taggart's recruiter mentioned above. http://m.wkusports.c...&DB_OEM_ID=5400

I don't see much risk in this hire, but rather the unknown at this level.

head coach of Bayshore HS should be a major red flag. they are the joke of Manatee Co. football.

lol.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549
  • Days Won:  0

If anyone wants to watch the WKU-UK game...http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/560258/

The teams had similar talent though with an edge to UK. The difference was coaching. You should also watch them play at Alabama this year. Lost 31-0 but it was much closer than that.

And don't sweat their place in the Sunbelt this year, it was a very good league this year and every loss was very close.

I think halfway through this season ended a streak of Western covering the spread in like 20 straight games. That's a coach that gets it done.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Tony Dungy â€@TonyDungy

@Golfguru54 USF new coach Willie Taggart is going to be FANTASTIC. Got to visit with him yesterday and came away super impressed!

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Tony Dungy â€@TonyDungy

@Golfguru54 USF new coach Willie Taggart is going to be FANTASTIC. Got to visit with him yesterday and came away super impressed!

I'll take his recommendation over anyones!
  • Upvote 1