• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does Doug get fired if we get stuck in BE(Conf USA) and Skip mess

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Doug's greatest accomplishments were to sign Skip to a contract than an extentsion, He also got the New SunDome(35 million) and the sports complex upgraded. What if all that money was spent and we get stuck with teams like Tulane, Memphis, SDSU, ect... play in empty buildings because no one wants to see CONF DOA teams play , Visiting teams wont travel to make the trip to Tampa since its so far. USF loses boatloads of money because our TV deal falls apart or is smaller than the current TV deal.

Does Doug get shown the door for allowing all this to happen under his Watch?

he hasnt been fired yet???

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

DW is going nowhere, CSH is going nowhere. Sports is not the reason a University opens their doors.

True, but sports is the reason we hire an AD and a HC. Their job is to keep their respective programs relevant and generating revenue. Both goals are in danger.

USF is a research funded school first, a sports school second.

Academics is the most important aspect of the university by far. But there is no denying that a good football or basketball program will do more to increase the awareness of the school than most anything else. It helps us remain visible to those out of state where our commercials don't play. In the long-term we need to become an attractive option for those outside of Florida.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

The only thing USF can do now is win and grow out fan base even if we're in a crap conference. We need to be a Boise or a TCU.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

DW is going nowhere, CSH is going nowhere. Sports is not the reason a University opens their doors. USF is a research funded school first, a sports school second. And furthermore, before USF was in the BE we used to draw a pretty good crowd for the games. It doesn't matter who we play, if the team wins the crowd will come. I remember when we were trying to position ourselves for a playoff game in 1-aa, we had 30k+ against teams like Western Kentucky and Jacksonville State. I'm not saying those teams will draw that now, I am saying, if we win, we will have a crowd. The city (this board) is full of bandwagon fans, if we are a loser people gripe moan and complain and dont come to the games. If we are a winner people gripe, moan and complain and come to the games. It's tough reading this board because you find yourself getting wrapped up in all the negativity, I've said it before, I don't care who we play, what conference we play in, as long as we are playing. Some of us have been around long enough to remember life before USF football. It totally, absolutely sucked. Everywhere, Gators fans, and you know the kind, the ones who never stepped one foot on the campus let alone went a single class or god forbid actually graduated. it sucked. My perspective is, we were 11-11 in CUSA the two years we were in it, we haven't won anything in the BE, why, for Gods sake, would we want to go to a higher level of competition were we couldn't compete, there is no long term value there. I say bring on the ole CUSA, rename the Big East to the Big USA and have the divisions named the Big West and the Big East, have a conference championship, win a conference championship, this conference will still have the upper hand in getting into that 6th bowl, get into that 6th bowl a couple of years and then, when the big boys come a knocking we will be ready.

Great post .... only fault I find with your scenario is, and by reading this board you should already know this, that the move to the Big East appeared to have created a good amount of snooty, spoiled fans who actually think that schools like Tulane, Memphis, ECU are far far beneath us now and am not sure they'll buy in.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Want a radical line of thought? I think he should get a gold star for extending Skip.

What if he saw this fiasco coming and wanted to lock up the best C-USA coach out there. Our hiring and recruiting are taking enormous blows right now. Just as DW said the extension gives us stability going forward.

Just a different perspective.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

.....that the move to the Big East appeared to have created a good amount of snooty, spoiled fans who actually think that schools like Tulane, Memphis, ECU are far far beneath us now and am not sure they'll buy in.

Yeah, I agree with you and I never understood this. Who have we beaten lately that makes us think we are so much better than Tulane, Memphis and ECU? Only Tulane has a worse record than we do this year and ECU is going to a bowl....yes you can argue sos but whatever.....

Something no one talks about while everyone is talking about the demise of BE, what about CUSA? Think we have it bad, how about LaTech, UTSA, FIU and the mean green as well as a FCS school Old dominion. Now they have to add two more.......yikes, I hear Armwood High is available.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

Want a radical line of thought? I think he should get a gold star for extending Skip.

What if he saw this fiasco coming and wanted to lock up the best C-USA coach out there. Our hiring and recruiting are taking enormous blows right now. Just as DW said the extension gives us stability going forward.

Hmm, interesting thought. It is possible that DW saw us throwing away the ESPN TV contract and knew that ESPN was going to crush the BE in retaliation. But he couldn't have known that we wouldn't land anywhere. What if we had won the BE the past three years, would we be so unwanted as we are now?

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Do you think he's the best C-USA coach? I think many C-USA teams would beat us this year. We're *supposed* to have better talent. We essentially lost to 2 MAC teams if you count Temple.

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

no

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

.....that the move to the Big East appeared to have created a good amount of snooty, spoiled fans who actually think that schools like Tulane, Memphis, ECU are far far beneath us now and am not sure they'll buy in.

Yeah, I agree with you and I never understood this. Who have we beaten lately that makes us think we are so much better than Tulane, Memphis and ECU? Only Tulane has a worse record than we do this year and ECU is going to a bowl....yes you can argue sos but whatever.....

Something no one talks about while everyone is talking about the demise of BE, what about CUSA? Think we have it bad, how about LaTech, UTSA, FIU and the mean green as well as a FCS school Old dominion. Now they have to add two more.......yikes, I hear Armwood High is available.

We're probably just a wee bit better than Tulane. They are 2-10, we are 3-9. They lost to Rutgers at home by 12, we lost to Rutgers at home by 10. Tulane would probably be 2-10 or maybe even get lucky and go to 3-9 with our schedule, only the losses wouldn't have been as close as ours.