• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If Skip isn't Fired by Monday, We're Stuck with Him

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  277
  • Days Won:  0

Looking at two recent examples, if Skip is still our coach come Tuesday then I'm afraid we are stuck with him.

1. Tennessee fired Derek Dooley during a miserable season (4-7 and 0 wins in the SEC) and right after a loss to Vanderbilt. Their next game was against Kentucky, a sure win. They found it easier to justify firing a coach BEFORE playing what they saw was winnable.

2. The LA Lakers fired Mike Brown after an 0-3 start. Their next two games? Home against the Golden State Warriors and Sacramento Kings, two games where the Lakes would be heavily favored. The Lakers thought it was better to fire Brown at 0-3 before he would beat a couple of cupcakes and improve to 2-3.

So USF football is at that point right after Tennessee lost to Vanderbilt and the Lakers dropped their third game. The next game on the schedule is winnable (although Pittsburgh played pretty well today). If Skip is fired before next weekend then we have an interim coach lead the team against Pitt, basically a game where the team is playing for pride. Win or lose, nothing really happens and the coaching search begins. If Skip keeps his job and "leads" the Bulls against Pitt and the team wins then it will be much harder to justify firing a coach who "rallied" to keep the Panthers out of a bowl game. I feel the administration is letting Skip audition to keep his job. If we win against Pittsburgh next Saturday, we lose because Skip might have kept his job and 4-8 is acceptable to those writing the checks. And if we lose to Pitt, we just went 3-9 with 1 Big East win.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  936
  • Days Won:  1

I think holtz will still be here and we will lose by 20 plus

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Pitt will be playing for bowl eligibility which lessens our chances. I actually thought we would win it before Pitt won today, now I'm not very sure at all.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Arkansas waited until the season was over to fire John L. Smith.

I think the same thing would apply here.

Edited by South_Florida_Flip

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  2

Woolard said he would review Holtz after the season. I am sure that is still the plan.

Woolard said he would review Holtz after the season. I am sure that is still the plan.

Can't wait to hear what he would say IF he retained Coach Holtz.

I just can't see Coach Holtz being back, regardless of what Greg wrote the other day.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

I just can't see Coach Holtz being back, regardless of what Greg wrote the other day.

I can think of 2.5 million reasons unfortunately

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881

I think you are off...by a year. 1 more year of him. Thing of it is, what if he turns it around and starts winning? Is everyone going to keep clamoring for him to be canned?

If you actually believe that then you should be fired from this message board. Your posts are as redundant as the ones you constantly complain about.

I can think of 2.5 million reasons unfortunately

I understand that, but I think they come up with the money. Isn't the payout over 5 years?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,658
  • Days Won:  29

Money shouldn't be the reason to retain Holtz!