• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz buyout is a poor excuse for not terminating

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  197
  • Days Won:  0

When I hear that we cannot afford to buy out Skip Holtz, I’m going to cry Bull Dung, which I also might begin throwing.

Yes, we do not have a war chest to just buy out coaches like other universities, nor a large base of highly involved and successful alumni that would allow Judy to slap Doug on the butt, wink, and say “Don’t let it happen again.†However, to think that USF athletics does not have the capability to cover Skip’s buyout over time is a bit of a stretch. If Holtz comes back, it’s because they want him back, the buyout excuse holds no water.

Mom and Pop organizations do this all the time with less money, however the same principles still apply. First year business majors learn these creative accounting skills.

First Holtz is not due a lump sum payment at his termination, he is due what his contract stipulates over the remainder of his contract. We can hire a new coach at less salary and save money there.

A new coach would also bring in their own assistants, and their collectively salary could also be less than what Holtz is paying his staff, so in theory we could save money here as well.

Let’s look at Vero Beach, is this necessary, it certainly hasn’t gotten the results the Holtz claims to provide. We must be able to save some money having the camp at USF.

After that we could look at the entire athletics budget, and unfortunately there might be some casualties unrelated to football. This happens in organizations all the time; football is athletics life blood, and must be fed.

Look into any position that is currently vacant and determine if it can be eliminated or merged with another position, or become an internship rather than paid. I do not know how strong the union is at USF but you could also forgo across the board raises to athletic employees.

What about coaches in other sports, unfortunately, we might not be able to give them raises.

These are just some suggestions, but the point of the matter is, I’m crying USF Bull Dung, if they tell me that Holtz is coming back because we cannot afford his buyout.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

The team is not really that far from being good. If the defense was mediocre we'd be in the running to win the conference.

Skip gets full negative marks for hiring Cosh (a bad DC who was likely getting ousted from K-State), but I'm ok with Holtz getting another year so long as Petrino said, "Thanks, but no thanks." Also granted we burn Chris Cosh in effigy or in person. I'd prefer person.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I agree. Apathy and shame take longer to earn back than money.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

It would cost more to the program long term to keep him and his staff. I think we need Skip to replace his staff asap and if that doesn't work then Skip is gone.

As for Vero- it has been stated time and time again that having Camp there really isn't that much more of a significant cost then having at on Campus.

You still need to pay for food and lodging.

The question is- are we getting more ticket sales over in Vero for having our camp over there and exposing USF to that audience on a larger scale?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

email Bill.

bmcgillis@usf.edu

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I have no problem with Vero. I think it is a great thing for our players and for the people of Vero who have interest in our team. Blaming any part of this catastrophe on Vero is just silly. No need to cut back on it unless we REALLY needed that money. I would love to see Vero become a thing we do every year for the life of the program. We need things like that. Traditions.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

I have no problem with Vero. I think it is a great thing for our players and for the people of Vero who have interest in our team. Blaming any part of this catastrophe on Vero is just silly. No need to cut back on it unless we REALLY needed that money. I would love to see Vero become a thing we do every year for the life of the program. We need things like that. Traditions.

I hear it's basically a wash given that we save money on what we'd normally spend at home. I'm with Ghost

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Vero beach is not a wash, don't be naive. Bus transportation is expensive and wouldn't be needed in Tampa. Paying for the hotel rooms for a week would not be needed in Tampa, renting the fields would not be needed in Tampa. Extra food costs would not happen in Tampa, just the standard cost of the meal plan, which is likely already paid for anyway, and not being used while they are in Vero.

I agree, USF can easily afford the buyout. Woolard doesn't have the guts to do it though this year. It will likely take another year like this for him to pull the trigger, just look at the Coach McCollum situation.

• Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  5,241

Pay out Skip's 2.5 at $500,000 over 5 years, with a stipulation that if he takes another coaching job we do not have to pay him anymore. Don't get cheap on hiring a new coach and assistants. Winning and a new coach in town will bring more people into the stadium

Edited by nobull.Bulls

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

Agreed. The numbers add up.

Here are selected coaches, salaries, and win % at current school, that we could give RAISES too and SAVE MONEY

David Shaw - Stanford - $1m - 81%

Tom O'Brien - NC State - $1.3m - 53.5%

Art Briles - Baylor - $1.3m - 49%

Paul Rhodes - Iowa State - $1.15m - 50%

Bronco Mendenhall - BYU - $0.85m - 71%

Gus Malzahn - Ark. State - $0.8m - 62.5%

Pat Fitz - NW - $0.8m - 55%

Mike Riley - Oregon State - $1.5m - 55%

Sonny Dykes - $0.4m - 62.5%

The list goes on.