• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Undefeated Big East team not worthy of NC game discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

During half-time, one of the ESPN announcers stated that an undefeated BE team should not even be in the discussion for the championship game...what is everyone's opinion on this? If that is true, does USF pull back on football funding and concentrate on other sports we have a chance to win it all in...assuming that is always the ultimate goal.

crack_pipe.jpg

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

This year, certainly not.

SEC is very strong this year..... Bama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas A&M would all absolutely crush every team in the Big East this year. I think even Ole Miss and LA Tech would likely beat any team in the Big East.

So would Oregon, Kansas State and possibly Notre Dame.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,894

why should we be in the discussion. UL has escaped in the last few seconds with a win twice already. They are a mediorce team who benefited from a weak schedule. They are not even close to what BOISE ST. was when they were finally getting recognition. Its absolutely understandable that an undefeated big east team does not get any discussion. Those 1 loss teams all play tougher schedules than Louisville anyway. I would go as far to say a two loss sec team is still better off in the NC than UL..Face the facts. Its not pretty and were the worst in the not pretty league. We are marla hooch boys. Unfortunately, we already do have alot of night games and we wear masks and it hasnt helped. Maybe we should create a league of our own. Then we can handpick and go undefeated. Ohh nooo we suck again!!!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  176

UL's strength of schedule is horrible, even going 12-0 would you put them in top of 4 over possible 1 loss teams like KSU, OU, ND, Bama, Florida?

I still think they lose to RU or Cuse, they are getting better but not over dominant, 3 or 4 teams could of beat them including USF.

I don't buy strength of schedule bullcrap. The players can only win the games they are given. If my team wins every game they did the best they could possibly do, so why should they get punished because their athletic department couldn't pay UF enough to play them? Screw that. Undefeated Big East team should be in the NC game all day over a one loss SEC, because the Big East team did their job. The SEC team didn't.

Now, does that put the best two teams in the National Championship game? Hell no. But if that upsets you, make a **** playoff system. Problem solved. Until then, you can't screw over a team that goes out there and does the best they can possibly do.

No they shouldn't. No it's not their fault that they didn't face any worthy opponents, but when teams like Florida, Oregon, Kansas State, LSU, Alabama, Georgia etc....are playing top 25 and top 15 teams for more than half of their schedule, they are showing that they are elite. Houston last year didn't play a single top 25 team until their championship game and they crapped the bed. They would of been killed in a BCS bowl. Remember Hawaii in the 08 Sugar bowl? Went undefeated and they were killed by Georgia. TCU and Boise St have shown that they can hang with the big boys year in and year out plus they play difficult games. These other teams just don't.

SEC teams start the year ranked because they are in the SEC. Notre Dame starts EVERY freaking season ranked. Rankings are arbitrary and stupid.

The way the system is set up now, if 2 undefeated teams remain it should be those two teams in the NC game. Period. End of story. If you want the 2 BEST teams make a **** playoff system. But how dare a bunch of football "experts" make the call that an undefeated group of kids shouldn't play for the Championship over another team that didn't accomplish an undefeated season.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The computers hate Louisville too, I don't think it's that insane to say they don't deserve to be in the discussion at this point. If they keep winning, and a bunch of teams lose, it changed things

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Notre Dame starts EVERY freaking season ranked.

Notre Dame has been ranked in the first AP poll of the season three times in the past nine years. In the coaches poll, it's four times.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,786
  • Days Won:  3

Well, whether we like it or not, strength of schedule DOES MATTER. Going undefeated in the MAC is not the same as undefeated in the SEC

and everyone knows it. I think the 'undefeated BE team' remark was an indication that there is no team in the BE who, this year, is doing any

heavy lifting. I don't think we can rank teams (considering strength of schedule) all year long and then suddenly - at the end of the season - say

"Oh, well, you know this team we had ranked 12th should be playing for the NC 'cause they're really undefeated".

Has L'ville played any ranked teams this season? If not, being ranked 11~16 and finishing undefeated might go the same route*. I'd be hard pressed

to honestly say that L'ville is on par with Alabama & Oregon and even with a 12-0 run deserving of a go at the NC.

* same route as Tulane back in '98 going undefeated and finishing the season ranked tenth and beating BYU in the Liberty Bowl.

That year, the NC went to Tennessee over FSU. The argument against the undefeated Tulane being kept out of the NC was that

they played no ranked teams and strength of schedule kept them ranked tenth, which outweighed the win/loss record. Tall midgets.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

UL's strength of schedule is horrible, even going 12-0 would you put them in top of 4 over possible 1 loss teams like KSU, OU, ND, Bama, Florida?

I still think they lose to RU or Cuse, they are getting better but not over dominant, 3 or 4 teams could of beat them including USF.

I don't buy strength of schedule bullcrap. The players can only win the games they are given. If my team wins every game they did the best they could possibly do, so why should they get punished because their athletic department couldn't pay UF enough to play them? Screw that. Undefeated Big East team should be in the NC game all day over a one loss SEC, because the Big East team did their job. The SEC team didn't.

Now, does that put the best two teams in the National Championship game? Hell no. But if that upsets you, make a **** playoff system. Problem solved. Until then, you can't screw over a team that goes out there and does the best they can possibly do.

You clearly don't understand big time football.

So an undefeated SunBelt team deserves a shot at the Natty over a one loss SEC champ or a team with a scheule like ND with one loss?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Agree this season. More BE teams need to start the season ranked, and finish undefeated or with one loss(to a ranked team, not Ball St or ******* Toledo). Until then, they shouldnt be in the discussion.

As far as the basketball thing is concerned, I would much rather be a basketball school than a football school anyway. I would rather be a Duke or Marquette any day of the week.

CBB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CFB