• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF last in Grad rates and in Football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

As soon as I saw this on ESPN.com I knew someone on here would post it and blame Skip...

I thought the same thing when I saw us lose to Ball State and Temple.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Fair enough about placing the blame solely on Skip,(he has only been here 2 1/2 years). It should be placed on Doug and Judy. They are the ones ultimately responsible for all things USF athletic / graduation related.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462

Here is the Florida schools for Football. Miami crushes everyone, followed by UCF,UF and then a pack of the rest of the schools.

http://fs.ncaa.org/D...ates/index.html

All sports...seems to be the same order http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/public/rates/index.html

Edited by footnfan1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Here is the Florida schools for Football. Miami crushes everyone, followed by UCF,UF and then a pack of the rest of the schools.

http://fs.ncaa.org/D...ates/index.html

All sports...seems to be the same order http://fs.ncaa.org/D...ates/index.html

a lot of these graduation rates are bogus. half of Ufs players graduate with a degree in recreation and tourism. these are just put out by the ncaa so they can show that these athletes are getting degrees. granted they are worthless degrees for the most part but they are degrees.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462

Many Div 1 players could not get an AA without the huge help...much less a 4 year degree. Enter Ryan Lochte....make your own decision. UF grad. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/ryan-lochte-interviews_n_1749273.html

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

I hate the way the NCAA does this. It is like, here is a snapshot of how your recruiting class did academically (7 years ago). I am pretty sure that this class was before that academic review board was set up to improve the academics of USF Athletics.

I also think that it paints a skewed picture like if someone transfers out and graduates from another school, I think that counts against you (and not neutral as it should be). Now it is the same measure for all schools, so I am not claiming it is unfair to USF, just a weird way to measure.

I can say first hand that USF has some awesome people who are responsible for the academic well being of our student athletes. In my last couple years with USF I would serve as a tour guide a couple times a month when new hires from other parts of the university would visit athletics. We would visit the Academic Enrichment Center and have a speaker from that area. That was my most hands on experience with that area, and they are sharp, educated people who care very much about our student athletes well being. Many of them former student athletes who really understand the demands on our athletes time. I have nothing but great things to say about Amy Perkins, Brian Clark, Jodie Heinicka and Jason Linders (and nothing bad to say about anyone else in that department I don't know as well). This area works to ensure the academic progress of our student athletes and also prepares them for success in the real world with programs like Enhancing U. (think logo and not just poor spelling)

I also know that for every story someone has about a student athlete wasting their chance at a degree, I can come back with an example of a young man or woman who used sports to earn a degree they may not have gotten otherwise. I'll give a couple of high profile examples, Anthony Henry - he was a partial qualifier. He had to graduate on time after playing 3 years (with a mandatory redshirt year) to earn the right to play his 4th season. Remember the stories of Terrance Leather, Kion Wilson's and Mistral Raymond. I think they all lost a close relative because their family lived in the wrong neighborhood where violence is a way of life. Football and basketball opened a door to an education.

Yes I want the numbers to be better for USF, but don't think USF is failing its student athletes.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

http://espn.go.com/b...d-rates#comment

USF is in last place on the field and in the classroom. I could see giving Skip some slack if our players were leading the BE in greaduation rates but we are sitting at the bottom.

Sad.

Wake Up Doug and Judy.

How can this be... Skip Holtz keeps saying that he has succeed at bringing the best student athletes... :rolleyes:

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

http://espn.go.com/b...d-rates#comment

USF is in last place on the field and in the classroom. I could see giving Skip some slack if our players were leading the BE in greaduation rates but we are sitting at the bottom.

Sad.

Wake Up Doug and Judy.

How can this be... Skip Holtz keeps saying that he has succeed at bringing the best student athletes... :rolleyes:

You do realize the student athletes he's brought in aren't included in those figures, right?

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Graduation rates are higher since Skip's come aboard. Unfortunately, other than his first year, nothing else has really eeked higher in terms of W-L record.