• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz will be USF's Head Coach Next Year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Days Won:  0

So all these threads about firing him and who could we get are really moot

Well that settles that.

Nothing else to talk about until basketball season. Lets all go watch youtube kitty videos instead.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

A coach at a mid level BCS program should get 4 years. Could you imagine what would have happened had Clemson shelved Dabo Swinney?

Could you image how much better Colorado could be doing now if they hadn't stayed with Hawkins so long? You could play that game all day long. There are many programs that stuck with coaches too long only to see them further drive their program into the ******. Outside of a "coach....should get 4 years", what do you see that makes you think Holtz deserves another year? Any examples?

Oh, and year 3 for Dabo Swinney was officially last year when they won the ACC, so not sure why they would have let him go then (he only coached a part of 2008 as an interim coach).

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

If we lose out the rest of the season I think he is canned at the end of the year.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

A coach at a mid level BCS program should get 4 years. Could you imagine what would have happened had Clemson shelved Dabo Swinney?

Here is where we have a difference in opinion. You are probably right. Duke, Vandy, Kentucky... those are mid-level BCS programs to me... meaning that, if they win a conference (or division) once every 8-10 years, go bowling consistently, and keep fan support, they are doing great.

We on the other hand are in a conference that is prime for being better than that. I am not expecting national titles, but, hasn't everyone had a (part of a )conference championship since we've been in the BE except for us an the Cuse?

We should pretend like we are the class of the conference. We should be pissed every time we lose a BE game. We should not settle for losing records and seasons without a bowl. I was a huge Leavitt supporter, and would have said that he didn't have enough time to win the conference, but, he had good will built up from... you know... building the program from scratch and making me Bullieve that MY TEAM was as special as any other school in America.

Whoever we have though... I am not OK with "we're a mid-level team, we have to be happy with 6-6, 7-5, etc." (which by the way, I'd be thrilled with right now). If our coach isn't getting it done... with a senior laden team, working with a lot of talent (at least in my opinion). He does not deserve more time. Cut your losses and try to move on. I don't know how much it costs the program not to go to a bowl, but, I would guess that it's a pretty good bit. Not just from the Bowl revenues, which are likely next to nothing, but, from a brand recognition standpoint, butts in the seats standpoint, season ticket holders. In my opinion, $2.5 million is a bargain compared to that potential loss if we continue down this path.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803

Holtz needs to win out and we need to go to the whocares.com bowl where USF can lose some more money do to unsold tickets for Holtz to keep his job. A 7-5 season is tragic with what this season should have been but it at least shows some improvement and he could change his defensive philosophy for next year. Anything short of that and no AD in his right mind could justify keeping him on...3 non-bowl seasons in a row and the entire program is likely up in smoke...a buyout is better than that.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

in all likelihood, cosh is gone after the season. why not now? dunno...maybe they feel that if they're gonna sh;t away his 2nd year, at least ride him out through the entire first year to get their money's worth. i would be really surprised if they don't force holtz to find a new DC. OC? probably keeping fitch, just how it will be. him and holtz are tight, don't expect that to change.

question. big level donor to step up....do we have any of those? legitimate question. is morsani considered a donor? do we have anyone that is REALLY going to care enough to pony up and be the voice? i'm not that "in" with any donors, but perception is we're not a rich program when it comes to donors.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  276

I'm sure they will wait and see if they can straighten it out to finish at least .500 and then hope for a bowl. If we finish under .500 and don't show any progress or heart, you have to think they will start looking at who is available and what financial options they can come up with for a buy out and funds to bring in someone new.

Plus if things get any worse, any waivering recruits will switch or decommit and that sets you back...all those Orlando kids will have second thoughts if this circus keeps going

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

in all likelihood, cosh is gone after the season. why not now?

How many coaches have been fired after a bad stretch of 15 games (3-12)?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  217

If we lose out the rest of the season I think he is canned at the end of the year.

+1

It's hard to keep a coach in town after 10 straight losses regardless of the pre-season expectations.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

in all likelihood, cosh is gone after the season. why not now?

How many coaches have been fired after a bad stretch of 15 games (3-12)?

not saying he would, should clarify, in all likelihood he would have a greater chance to be fired after the year (would take more losing and more pressure too), than being fired now/last week. (in response to people wondering why he's not fired yet - usf doesn't operate that way)