• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Am I the only one?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

You laugh like Old Joe Biden, but O'Leary is 66 and has an up and down .500 record. Don't shoot me, I'm just reporting things I'm hearing.

I bet you are ....

whisper.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

Trip, if you're saying last year's 5-7 was almost 7-5, the year before's 7-5 was almost 5-7. Works both ways.

You're exactly right. Breaks went our way in 2010 but not in 2011. When you play the kind of ball we historically have played, there's usually not much room for error ... but neither one of those seasons could be called train wrecks, though.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Shoop, like Trip said logic has little to do with this board. Some like to point to stats to try to say that certain players are great, but in the next sentence, bad mouth the coaches that called the plays allowing them to gain the yards. No matter what Skip or anyone else on the coaching staff says they will not be happy. Hell, I'd bet $$ to donuts that if he resigned those same people that want him fired would call him a quitter and say that he abandoned his team.

The funniest thing on this board has been people like you or the OP who use strawman after strawman in attempt to make the fans on this board seem unreasonable or ignorant

We didn't need to make some of them look that way. There was no straw man needed. They did a fine job all by themselves talking about wearing bags and the program spiraling downward after the ******* 3rd game of the season. We're halfway through what's been a train wreck of a season so far. It's not often that coaches are let go after just one train wreck, much less 1/4 or even 1/2 a train wreck so unreasonable and ignorant is a pretty accurate description. I believe the strongest message out of Shoop's post was patience ... he should have known better.

5-7 is **** close to a train wreck. 7-5 the year before was certainly not above expectations.

programs' like ours have to build for an experienced team once every 4 or 5 years. This was his year to proive he was right for the job. we don't reload but we should expect to conted for a league title when we have 16 returning starters, 24 seniors and a 4 year starting QB.

we will be starting over next year. Patience is fine and I have said he should get 1 possibly 2 more years if he can pull this program out of this nosedive this year but he has shown nothing to suggest he is a coach that can take us to the next level (I mean up obviously- he has shown he can take us down a level). If he loses this team and we finish 1-6 in big east again then I could see us cutting him loose.we have to start over again next year anyway. might as well do it with someone that can piosssibly take us to next level. plenty of coaches have success before their 5th year which is what we are realistically looking at with all the seniors leaving.

If we finish strong and he proves he can turn a team around in the face of adversity then he should get a reprieve but finish at or below last year and he should be gone.

the expectations of our program were never high and that is where our problems started

if usf cant get in a big 5 conference i dont see the point in even maintaining the program.how can you justify paying a guy 2 million and you arent even competing for the big prize

it is ironic that usf stopped playing the orlando school years ago because of ego and that school has passed us by------

If you think UCF has passed USF by just wait until they hire Leavitt.

Ya RIGHT! funny

You laugh like Old Joe Biden, but O'Leary is 66 and has an up and down .500 record. Don't shoot me, I'm just reporting things I'm hearing.

I've heard that Mark Stoops has already been offered and he's already accepted the DC/HC in waiting job here. They're going to give Skip at least 1 more year, but they have demanded that he allow Stoops to be the DC and HCIW. Just reporting what I've heard. Or am I??

BTW IF you were a "fan" of USF back when CJL was here, then you'd know that if he were to accept the job at ucf that he would be going against everything that he stood for here. Would he then call us "The school to the West"?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Sounds kind of dumb. You only name a HCIW when a coach is nearing retirement. Not for poor performance. No coach in the prime of their career would agree to something like that.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I've heard that Mark Stoops has already been offered and he's already accepted the DC/HC in waiting job here. They're going to give Skip at least 1 more year, but they have demanded that he allow Stoops to be the DC and HCIW. Just reporting what I've heard. Or am I??

BTW IF you were a "fan" of USF back when CJL was here, then you'd know that if he were to accept the job at ucf that he would be going against everything that he stood for here. Would he then call us "The school to the West"?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have any proof? Or are you just blowing smoke?

Edited by Hem

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

USFgrad and Hem my previous post was pure unadulterated sarcasm. Hence the "or am I". I know just as much as peepee. It's just that easy to spread internet rumors by stating that you know someone who knows someone. It's the " Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

• Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  651
  • Days Won:  0

Let's be honest here.....Do we all really believe that we were the 2nd best team in the country that year? The number 2 spot was held by 7 different teams. Everybody and their brother was losing that year, and we just happened to beat the right teams and move up. I'm won't go as far as to say that 2007 was the worst thing to happen to us, but it certainly has raised our expectations to a level that is truly unrealistic right now. Should we have won the BIG EAST by now, definitely, but a national championship?????? Only if things fell perfectly into place, like in 2007. We are now, 16 years into a program???? I know at some point that can't be a crutch we lean on, but think about all the programs around the country that don't have Conference championships or National Championships that have been around forever........ This is a painful year to watch for sure, but as easy as people say that we could be 1-5 we sure as heck could be 5-1 too. The day that we don't even compete in games on a consistent basis is the day that I become worried about our program........ Look how Auburn is playing right now....... Getting waxed week in and week out........ All we can do is throw our support towards the program and stand behind them.......win or lose........

• Topic Count:  102
  • Content Count:  1,679
  • Days Won:  1

As others have said - the expectation isn't that we reach the top 10 or top 20 every year. It IS, however, that we at least be competitive against the teams that do. That we are not simply a doormat for every A-list school.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,469
  • Days Won:  25

Hell... my only expectations are for a winning W-L record and for this team to compete every game. If they do that we go to a bowl and progress as a program over the years. A BE championship this year seemed an option due to the lower expectations of the other teams in the conference.

Just try... that's what I'm not seeing and that's why I'm pissed.

Edit... oh and I disagree on 2007... 2007 was a season that we'll never forget

DING DING DING DING!

AGREE 100%

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Let's be honest here.....Do we all really believe that we were the 2nd best team in the country that year?

At that particular time, YES, we were the #2 team in the country based on who we had beaten, how we were playing and the losses by the other teams in the country, but the reality is were not the #2 team in the country at the end of the year.

It was just another stop along the upward journey the program has been on since it started up. Until we hit the sink hole in the road these last 2 years.

Saying 2007 was the worst thing to happen to the program is like saying 2002 was one of the worst things to happen to the program because it set the foundation for seeing what a winning program could be.

2007 was best thing to happen to the program and any argument otherwise is downright silly.