• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Am I the only one?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

A quick peruse of the 1st page today, and everyone is on the "FIRE EVERYONE THEY'RE ALL THE WORST COACHES IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL" bandwagon.

I think that 2007 was the worst thing that could happen to this program.

Expectations were raised SO high and were completely unrealistic. Since that 5-0 start, fans and media alike have been trying to put USF back on that level, when the players on the field have not peformed at the level to warrant it..........not even close. They've competed at the level that their talent and coaching were capable of, which is not what fans and media expected, and therefore created a huge, fake sense of disappointment.

The fans and media following this program have been watching FSU, UF, and UM play at such an elite level for such a long period of time, that it has become.....normal. USF football is proof that it is NOT normal and it is NOT easy to reach that level, much less maintain it. It's a huge uphill climb to reach that level, and you must. be. patient. when. climbing. that. mountain.

- We've never had a top level recruiting class, so how does anyone expect to have a championship level team?

- We've never had a 2nd string that pushed the 1st string for playing time, so how does anyone expect to be able to withstand injuries over a long season?

- We've never had the money to spend on top level assistant(and head) coaching, so how does anyone expect individual players, individual groups of players, and the entire team to be coached and perform in a smart, efficient, mistake-free way?

- We've never had an truly unstoppable, marquee player, on either side of the ball, who could take over a football game.

- We've ony had 1 Quarterback in the history of the program, and it's no coincidence that he led our team to it's best season.

What needs to be done to "fix" the apparent problems? I don't know. How it needs to be handled though, is obvious to me: patience.

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

Don't agree totally with everything but the overall theme of the post is dead on .... especially the part about 2007.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The worst thing that happened was 2007? I'll take the travesty of beating auburn, WVU and unc over patiently losing to ball state and temple. But I am, admittedly, often unreasonable.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I'm a believer of higher expectations.... It can motivate or it can kill

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

The worst thing that happened was 2007? I'll take the travesty of beating auburn, WVU and unc over patiently losing to ball state and temple. But I am, admittedly, often unreasonable.

what is this guy saying? the worst thing to happen was to beat auburn and wvu ?? to be ranked #2?? no the worst thing was to lose to Temple and ball state. unbelievable.

we've had more than 1 QB. obvioulsy not paying attention.blackwell, grothe, daniels, etc. 2 QBs in big east and they may both become total yardage leaders of all time in the conference.

we had a guy who is now considered one of the most dominant defensive players in the NFL. so much for no marquee player.

I'm so tired of the money excuse for coaches. we have the 2nd highest paid head coach in the big east. leavitt also rose to #2 in big east at one point

everyone has a first and second string. everyone has a dropoff from first to second string. another excuse.

we have been in the top half of recruiting in big east. nobody thinks we should win national championship. just compete for league title.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

It was the best of times, it is the worst of times.

fixed it

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

So...according to that guy's logic, last year's accomplishments for the basketball team is probably the worst thing that ever happened to our BB program.

What we did in 2007 is the best thing to ever happen to football.

Anyone that doesn't have high expectations to start out has a loser's mentality. If you don't achieve at the highest level then you do what you need to do to get better. Anything less is unacceptable.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  771

So...according to that guy's logic, last year's accomplishments for the basketball team is probably the worst thing that ever happened to our BB program.

What we did in 2007 is the best thing to ever happen to football.

Anyone that doesn't have high expectations to start out has a loser's mentality. If you don't achieve at the highest level then you do what you need to do to get better. Anything less is unacceptable.

+1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  397

A quick peruse of the 1st page today, and everyone is on the "FIRE EVERYONE THEY'RE ALL THE WORST COACHES IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL" bandwagon.

I think that 2007 was the worst thing that could happen to this program.

Expectations were raised SO high and were completely unrealistic. Since that 5-0 start, fans and media alike have been trying to put USF back on that level, when the players on the field have not peformed at the level to warrant it..........not even close. They've competed at the level that their talent and coaching were capable of, which is not what fans and media expected, and therefore created a huge, fake sense of disappointment.

The fans and media following this program have been watching FSU, UF, and UM play at such an elite level for such a long period of time, that it has become.....normal. USF football is proof that it is NOT normal and it is NOT easy to reach that level, much less maintain it. It's a huge uphill climb to reach that level, and you must. be. patient. when. climbing. that. mountain.

- We've never had a top level recruiting class, so how does anyone expect to have a championship level team?

- We've never had a 2nd string that pushed the 1st string for playing time, so how does anyone expect to be able to withstand injuries over a long season?

- We've never had the money to spend on top level assistant(and head) coaching, so how does anyone expect individual players, individual groups of players, and the entire team to be coached and perform in a smart, efficient, mistake-free way?

- We've never had an truly unstoppable, marquee player, on either side of the ball, who could take over a football game.

- We've ony had 1 Quarterback in the history of the program, and it's no coincidence that he led our team to it's best season.

What needs to be done to "fix" the apparent problems? I don't know. How it needs to be handled though, is obvious to me: patience.

You need to just stop. Logic and common sense have absolutely no place on thebullspen and with a large segment of Bulls Fans.

Edited by Plantation Pete
  • Upvote 2