• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

EVERYBODY wanted Stan Heath GONE.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

This board could be a case study in differential opinions....

Most make good points for their stance on Skip...

Really an interesting read...

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Two points.

1. I like Heath. I personally don't get into basketball as much as football (I still like to go to the games and watch), so I was never calling for Heath's head, but I'm also not quick to say he's earned his keep. He got a bubble team in on a very down year in the Big East. I do hope he keeps it up, and he got an extension right? (At least his was warranted) He will be here for another year or two minimum, but everyone better hope they don't have two terrible seasons. Anything is possible.

2. The Petrino stuff, I admit, I wouldn't mind that guy bringing his expertise to our program. But I made a list of possible coaching vacancies at the end of this year (there may be more or less), and even IF Holtz got let go, there are 18-20 other programs that will have openings (judging by coaches who aren't in their first 1-2 years), and of that list, there's about ten of them who would be "above" USF in terms of where a coach would likely go before coming here:

Tennessee - Dooley may be out unless they finish really strong

Kentucky - Phillips is all but gone

Arkansas - We know this

Auburn - Chizik is in the same seat as Dooley, maybe even more so

Cal - Tedford usually saves his ass, but possible

Colorado - Embree is in year 2 or 3, but they're just SO bad

Syracuse - Maronne probably survives, but never know

Boston College - Spaziani may be on the way out - new AD gets to pick his guy

Wake Forest - it's not an easy job, but Grobe hasn't been great

USF - who knows at this point

Army - Dunno the specifics, but Ellerson isn't getting it done (another hard job)

UNLV - Hauck hasn't done much there

Idaho - Akey hasn't done anything either, they may be FCS again with the WAC dissolving

New Mexico State - Walker had a few sparks, but still nothing (see idaho)

Eastern Michigan - Ron English has produced some winless seasons...

Buffalo - Quinn (from Cincinnati) has yet to really follow in Turner Gil's footsteps

And there will be a few more depending on who tanks the season.

So yeah.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Two points.

1. I like Heath. I personally don't get into basketball as much as football (I still like to go to the games and watch), so I was never calling for Heath's head, but I'm also not quick to say he's earned his keep. He got a bubble team in on a very down year in the Big East. I do hope he keeps it up, and he got an extension right? (At least his was warranted) He will be here for another year or two minimum, but everyone better hope they don't have two terrible seasons. Anything is possible.

2. The Petrino stuff, I admit, I wouldn't mind that guy bringing his expertise to our program. But I made a list of possible coaching vacancies at the end of this year (there may be more or less), and even IF Holtz got let go, there are 18-20 other programs that will have openings (judging by coaches who aren't in their first 1-2 years), and of that list, there's about ten of them who would be "above" USF in terms of where a coach would likely go before coming here:

Arkansas - We know this

Army - Dunno the specifics, but Ellerson isn't getting it done (another hard job)

Idaho - Akey hasn't done anything either, they may be FCS again with the WAC dissolving

Buffalo - Quinn (from Cincinnati) has yet to really follow in Turner Gil's footsteps

So yeah.

out of those arkansas, auburn , wake forest, cal, and tenn come before us. can't see 10 on there.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Two points.

Arkansas - We know this

So yeah.

out of those arkansas, auburn , wake forest, cal, and tenn come before us. can't see 10 on there.

depends on the perception.

Colorado is a pretty big school, not easy to win, but not a bad job.

Kentucky, you know what you're getting, but look at what James Franklin is doing with Vandy. Kentucky will still pay up well.

Syracuse - it's possible to win there. still a brand better than usf

Boston College - similar to Syracuse.

I'd almost say USF would be a better job than Wake, and maybe BC, and a toss up with SU or UK, but it probably comes down to other factors.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

But then he took the bulls the farthest they've ever been and shut everybody up.....so ya it hasn't been all pretty for skip but that doesn't mean that it absolutely will NOT be. If anything skp has shown to build successful programs, so realistically we STILL DO have a chance at something special here.

+1

Skip will get in done next season.

not me

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Two points.

Arkansas - We know this

So yeah.

Kentucky, you know what you're getting, but look at what James Franklin is doing with Vandy. Kentucky will still pay up well.

I'd almost say USF would be a better job than Wake, and maybe BC, and a toss up with SU or UK, but it probably comes down to other factors.

colorado pays $800k less than us. tougher to win there as well.they are bottom half of pac 12.

kentucky pays less than us in a conference that is almost impossible to compete in.

brand doesn't mean squat. syracuse doesn't pay as much(they pay $700k less than us), is tougher to recruit to, and is in a less desirable location.

boston college pays $800k less than us. again it's tougher to recruit there .

wake is a better job. they pay more, in a great location, just as easy to compete. probably tougher to recruit with academics.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  182
  • Days Won:  2

I'm amazed that there are still people that support Skip.

Saying he will get it done next year, when he failed last year, failed this year, and has recruited poorly is ridiculous. The players coming up are not better than our starters now. In the last few years, the Tampa area has been absolutely loaded with high school talent, and Skip has not capitalized at all. I know most people don't think stars and recruiting ranks matter (I don't put much stock in it myself), but Skip has been a complete failure on the recruiting trail. The cupboard is empty. And if you look at our commitment list this year (which will surely take a hit thanks to our poor performance), it isn't getting better. You can't point out the few successes like Price, Bivins, and Woulard and prove that he can recruit. Look at his classes as a whole. They aren't very good.

If he was coaching up poor players (which we have thanks to his bad recruiting) it would be one thing, but not being able to compete when we have a talented team is on the coaching. Saying last year wasn't a bad year is ridiculous. I know that all teams miss bowl games occasionally, but only winning one conference game is a sure sign of a bad year.

I have seen nothing from Skip to show me that he can be successful here. I've met Skip and think he is a great guy, but he isn't getting the job done. If he is here next year (which is possible), he will fail again.

Where is this optimism coming from? What has he ever done to make you think he can be a successful coach at South Florida?

Excuse all the parenthesis, I just can't stop ranting about this football team.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Two points.

Arkansas - We know this

So yeah.

colorado pays $800k less than us. tougher to win there as well.they are bottom half of pac 12.

kentucky pays less than us in a conference that is almost impossible to compete in.

brand doesn't mean squat. syracuse doesn't pay as much(they pay $700k less than us), is tougher to recruit to, and is in a less desirable location.

boston college pays $800k less than us. again it's tougher to recruit there .

wake is a better job. they pay more, in a great location, just as easy to compete. probably tougher to recruit with academics.

This I think helps paint the picture better. I'll add that both Boston College and Colorado are even bigger dumpster fires than we are, and with the competition in their conference would have longer roads to go inorder to rebuild.

It will all boil down to what that would-be-coach is looking for. If we use Petrino as an example, I think he's looking for a program he thinks he can walk into and win fairly quickly at to rebuild his worth. Auburn, Tennessee, Wake and probably Cal fit that bill (although both Auburn and Cal have huge buyouts - $6.9 million+, so still feel they may be unlikely to make a change yet). Outside that though, the rest would be up for debate as to where they fall. Plus I'd have to think that atleast with Auburn (and possibly Tennessee) they have big enough programs to persue currently employed head coaches at other programs, including some BCS programs. Will also depend on what those programs are looking for (such as would Tennessee go all in with another flight risk in Petrino after the Lane Kiffin fiasco they just recently went through).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

But then he took the bulls the farthest they've ever been and shut everybody up.....so ya it hasn't been all pretty for skip but that doesn't mean that it absolutely will NOT be. If anything skp has shown to build successful programs, so realistically we STILL DO have a chance at something special here.

Just wait 6 months or so....If the BB team doesn't make the dance again this year you will start seeing the "Team Has Regressed" posts.

• Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Different sport, different coach, different team. Different scenarios. Skip out, Heath in. Timetable is different for (what was) a bad basketball team and a football team that was just a coach away from a Big East title.