• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is why I still believe in Skip

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  848
  • Days Won:  1

Best case scenario: he wins a few this year and can leave on his own instead of being fired. This needs to be is last year here. We need a new beginning. Too much damage weather he's to blame or not. He should go. I don't buy the idea that he needs "his" players to be a success here. We've fallen way too far to get up again with him. I hope I'm wrong.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  397
  • Days Won:  0

So, Skip, just how good are you as a coach?

Holtz pauses, choosing his words carefully.

"If you judge by wins and losses, then I'm not very **** good," he said. "I'm not going to sit and try to argue these numbers. I'm not going to try to sell them and make them look pretty. You can dress up a pig but it's still a pig.

"If you judge by the health of the program, the academics, the character of the kids … give me time and I think I can give you a lot better answer. The guys we brought in are freshmen and redshirt freshmen. I'd at least like to be here long enough to see them shave."

So, Skip, are you the guy to make this program essential?

"I believe I am," he said. "We've won everywhere we've been, and we've built it the right way."

The ****** play sucks, but I believe Skip is 100% correct. We are 2.5 years into the second-coach-ever's era of a 15-year-old football program. I don't think a rah-rah coach who can pull off an upset or two is ideal. I want a coach who wants to patiently construct a well-rounded program for long-term success.

I think he hears our voice. I'm giving him a chance to right the ship. He has made a few tactical errors, sure, but I'm still in.

http://www.tampabay....ootball/1255678

What kind of head wound do you have?

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

So, Skip, just how good are you as a coach?

Holtz pauses, choosing his words carefully.

"If you judge by wins and losses, then I'm not very **** good," he said. "I'm not going to sit and try to argue these numbers. I'm not going to try to sell them and make them look pretty. You can dress up a pig but it's still a pig.

"If you judge by the health of the program, the academics, the character of the kids … give me time and I think I can give you a lot better answer. The guys we brought in are freshmen and redshirt freshmen. I'd at least like to be here long enough to see them shave."

So, Skip, are you the guy to make this program essential?

"I believe I am," he said. "We've won everywhere we've been, and we've built it the right way."

The ****** play sucks, but I believe Skip is 100% correct. We are 2.5 years into the second-coach-ever's era of a 15-year-old football program. I don't think a rah-rah coach who can pull off an upset or two is ideal. I want a coach who wants to patiently construct a well-rounded program for long-term success.

I think he hears our voice. I'm giving him a chance to right the ship. He has made a few tactical errors, sure, but I'm still in.

http://www.tampabay....ootball/1255678

• The program is in tatters...

• Who cares about the academics of our players, last time I checked the SEC was not focused on getting their players to get better grades...

• The character of the kids is one in which most give up when we are down by a single TD... we seldom ever have the ability to come back...

Not sure why you are so happy about Holtz or what he said. There is no excuse for our performance given all of the returning talented seniors on both sides of the ball... he and his staff are not doing their jobs or holding under performing players accountable. I have yet to see Holtz bench a single player for not doing their job which breeds an accountability issue on the team.

While I would like to kick him out now and go get Jay Gruden, Holtz will have a few more years here no matter how much we ***** about him on the pen.

Instead of a Holtz New Era this era of Bulls football should be remembered as the Booze Era since most of us will be resorting to using excessive amount of booze to get through a Bulls football game.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

IF, and I stress IF, Skip rights the ship I am all about eating crow as well

I want what's best for USF, not any one person

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

Who cares about the academics of our players, last time I checked the SEC was not focused on getting their players to get better grades...

Me.

Life is more important than football. Not to mention the SEC has a reputation of below-average academics as well as off-the-field arrests. And if that's not enough, look at Stanford, Notre Dame, USC, etc; you can have very high academic standards and still win at a high level.

I'm not saying we need to be NC contenders and have Ivy standards. But, 100% of the time I will trade a few wins for players who graduate and represent the university well.

Edited by hm101

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Not to mention the SEC has a reputation of below-average academics

They do? Aren't they all AAU institutions?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I said in another thread,I think I'd give him a chance if he cleaned house within his staff - at least oust the coordinators

This is what I said in Leavitt's final 2 seasons.

first thing Skip did was sh!tcan the old staff and bring in his own guys-- save a few here and there. Was that totally necessary? I can see pruning but to remove some key figures from that staff seemed negligent.

Which key figures did he prune?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I said in another thread,I think I'd give him a chance if he cleaned house within his staff - at least oust the coordinators

This is what I said in Leavitt's final 2 seasons.

first thing Skip did was sh!tcan the old staff and bring in his own guys-- save a few here and there. Was that totally necessary? I can see pruning but to remove some key figures from that staff seemed negligent.

Which key figures did he prune?

Auman addressed this one page ago.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Not to mention the SEC has a reputation of below-average academics

They do? Aren't they all AAU institutions?

not sure if srs.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Two and a half years is a pretty long time these days.

his first season wasn't bad. 8-5 with a bowl win over Clemson. cool.

he's really only outright SUCKED for the past 1.5 years.

That, as most things, can be debatable. Just barely over a year ago, we were ranked #16. The rest of the year, while ugly, can't agree we outright sucked. We were still only 2 plays away from 7-5 and another patented mediocre finish ... This year we have sucked in that we've lost to two teams we had absolutely no business losing to.