• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good trib article/commentary..........

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I don't know why people keep equating success only as being an elite team. Every step of the way this program has made steady progress (until the last few years). Although it was exciting and gave us a bump into the national picture, the 2007 season should have been the launching point. And it was to some degree.

There's been no steady progress for 5 years. There was no launching point to any degree from 2007. After that season we plateaued for 4 straight years and I include last year because we're only a couple of plays away from the same results as the previous 3 years. Something had to give, one way or the other, and it gave the wrong way. I think Skip gets minimum next year to try and get us back up to that plateau.

Actually, I disagree. 2008 was a step backwards, going 2-5 in conference with a junior QB.

2009 was improvement going 3-4 in conference, beating FSU all with a RS freshman QB.

2010 was on the plateau with a win over Miami, 3-4 in conference and new coaches.

Last year was regression with 1 win in conference and an overall losing record. You may want to believe that last year was the same plateau as 2007 but in 2007 we were an illegal forward propulsion call, Dylan Douglas falling on a blocked punt or dalton mitchell holding onto the ball from being a 10 win team (since we're playing the ifs and buts game).

This year is a dumpster fire with losses to Ball State and Temple.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I view 2010 as an improvement because we all thought we'd take a step back record wise with the new coaching staff. We also had a tougher schedule.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

In games where you walk away saying, "Wow, Ball State (or Temple) is legitimately not a worse football team than USF."

If we had turned the ball over 5 times in each game and just flat out beat ourselves, it's one thing. Or they pulled out all the stops and went for it on every questionable 4th down and used trick plays to beat us, that's ok too. However, Ball State and Temple (and Nevada) lined up toe to toe and strait up proved to be the better teams. It's embarrassing.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  0

" we have taken a step back. from a win loss standpoint it would be hard to argue". What exactly does that mean? Is there something else that I am missing that we haven't taken a step back in?

No bowl appearance money. By not appearing in a bowl that means we take home less of a percentage of the conference bowl money. Attendance is and will be going down, down down. Any donors that were on the fence about contributing to the football program probably have put that idea on hold for the time. Being down in basketball is one thing for this University, but I would have to think that besides the Leavitt situation, this has to be the most difficult time that Woolard has had to deal with. it can't be fun.

Let's face it, big time school or not, Florida is a football first state (when it comes to college sports) and since the inception of the football program it has been a great sense of school spirit and pride for the University.

It starts with wins and losses, but it is about a lot more than wins and losses.

I could not agree more, and I think this goes beyond Florida and into the whole Southeast. A good example of this is the Atlanta pro teams. Friday, the Braves got screwed on a call (and I big Cardinals fan), and the Falcons are 5-0 (busy Sunday did not realize until Monday); however, all I heard over the weekend and Monday is UGA losing and GT's defense. I think our administrators and AD understand this and understand this image. A couple of years ago, I was excited about Skip taking over. My only call out on the AD is the contract extension; however, I wish LRS (RIP) was around b/c he seemed to be that advisor for the football program.

Now, I am hoping for change. It may not be this year, but as far a candidates I hope it is not a knee jerk reaction. We need someone who will excite the program and the fanbase. My wife is a big LSU fan and considering that they have come up short on some expectations, they still love Les Miles. He seems to get more leeway than Saban had, but he is exciting (and Saban is doing better right now).

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Did we ever have the lead against Temple?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Did we ever have the lead against Temple?

First QTR 7-6

Third QTR 14-9

Gave up 2 TD's in both 3rd and 4th QTR. Only 1 in first half

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

I don't know why people keep equating success only as being an elite team. Every step of the way this program has made steady progress (until the last few years). Although it was exciting and gave us a bump into the national picture, the 2007 season should have been the launching point. And it was to some degree.

There's been no steady progress for 5 years. There was no launching point to any degree from 2007. After that season we plateaued for 4 straight years and I include last year because we're only a couple of plays away from the same results as the previous 3 years. Something had to give, one way or the other, and it gave the wrong way. I think Skip gets minimum next year to try and get us back up to that plateau.

Actually, I disagree. 2008 was a step backwards, going 2-5 in conference with a junior QB.

2009 was improvement going 3-4 in conference, beating FSU all with a RS freshman QB.

2010 was on the plateau with a win over Miami, 3-4 in conference and new coaches.

Last year was regression with 1 win in conference and an overall losing record. You may want to believe that last year was the same plateau as 2007 but in 2007 we were an illegal forward propulsion call, Dylan Douglas falling on a blocked punt or dalton mitchell holding onto the ball from being a 10 win team (since we're playing the ifs and buts game).

Didn't mean to include 2007 on the same plateau as the subsequent years. As was pointed out, that should have been a launching point, but it wasn't. We dropped and then plateaued ... To me 2-5, 3-4 in conference is the same plateau ... and I already qualified my opinion on 2011 being basically the same.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Trip, are you agreeing with Fennelly in whole or part? Because that might be a first.

The "one or two plays away" from anything excuse is plain ******** in any sport.

You can pick 1 or 2 plays out in any relatively close game in any sport and point 2 a couple of plays here and there that would have made a difference.

Good teams perform consistently and overcome them.

Wasn't using that as an excuse or trying to justify a good team .... My only point was that, last year, we were 2 plays-as-time-expired away from being the same old 3-4 in conference we'd been the previous several years ... plateau.

Trip, are you agreeing with Fennelly in whole or part? Because that might be a first.

I actually agree with one his earlier columns this year .. but I think it was one of the human interest ones .... and actually I haven't read this one yet ... just responding to posts here ... maybe I'm scared I will agree with him. ;)