• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What would be the best for the program?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

If we could get a Pete Carroll or Bobby Petrino. A guy with proven BCS level success (a la Bama grabbing Nick Saban) I'm all for canning Holtz this year. Seeing as that's not going to happen, I'm ok holding onto Skip and seeing how it plays out next year.

Disagree. Charlie Strong didn't have proven success, yet he's getting paid less than Skip and is doing OK for UL.

I'd rather take a chance on a well respected assistant than continue a downward spiral with this staff.

I'd love for them to prove me wrong. I still won't like Skip, but, if we win, he'll be a desirable candidate for someone else, so we get him out of here anyway.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

If we could get a Pete Carroll or Bobby Petrino. A guy with proven BCS level success (a la Bama grabbing Nick Saban) I'm all for canning Holtz this year. Seeing as that's not going to happen, I'm ok holding onto Skip and seeing how it plays out next year.

Disagree. Charlie Strong didn't have proven success, yet he's getting paid less than Skip and is doing OK for UL.

I'd rather take a chance on a well respected assistant than continue a downward spiral with this staff.

I'd love for them to prove me wrong. I still won't like Skip, but, if we win, he'll be a desirable candidate for someone else, so we get him out of here anyway.

Charlie Strong was a top notch DC for about 10 years who no one gave a shot to be the head man. I would definitely give Charlie a check mark in the experience category.

• Content Count:  5,900

Charlie Strong was a top notch DC for about 10 years who no one gave a shot to be the head man. I would definitely give Charlie a check mark in the experience category.

OK... I agree then... he's nowhere near Caroll, Saban, or Petrino though. Just looking at your examples. There are other well respected coordinators out there who I'd give a shot...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

What would be best? Easy: STAY INVOLVED. STAY ENGAGED.

1. Attend FB games

2. Attend alumni and non FB events

3. Give to the university

4. Develop relationships with university leadership

No one can do anything right now to win. A university is as good as the people behind it. Change will take time and we can't just ask for it, we have to be it.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  571
  • Days Won:  0

Woolard out, smazza in. Success will come through an iron fisted rule of blind irrationality and unrelenting cynicism.. its a new dawn at the new U, people.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

1. Attend FB games

No one can do anything right now to win. A university is as good as the people behind it. Change will take time and we can't just ask for it, we have to be it.

Spot on!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

I want to win just as much as everyone else, but I don't want Bobby Petrino representing our University! The team HE built is 1-4 and with a loss to Louisiana Monroe and Rutgers, they got their ass handed to them by Texas A&M 58-10. Why does everyone think he's so great?

well it couldn't be John L Smith's fault-- those aren't his players he has to work with. As if a coach is somehow unable to coach people he didn't recruit directly. I hear this often as a reason why Holtz is struggling and can't understand it. His best year so far was with nothing but CJL recruits-- he has gone downhill since that first season. When are his recruits going to start delivering anything positive to this program? And why is it impossible for him to win with the previous coaches guys? Urban Meyer has made a career out of taking what was left behind and building a system that makes that set of players flourish (I'm not a Meyer fan-- but he's done it at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and now OSU).

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

1. Attend FB games

Spot on!

This!

that is what we can do as fans -- the stuff we talk about on the message board is just us talking about our team. But Our impact is all focused on support.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Whats best for the "program" is for USF to win out (no matter who the coach is). That is fact. I'd much rather go 9-3 and keep Holtz than go 5-7 and worry about a coaching change.

However, if the question is realistically whats better: a USF team that goes 6-6 (with a bowl game) that gets Holtz more time that he ultimately keeps us strung along the 5-7 to 7-5 mark, or would we rather a 5-7/4-8 season now that might get Holtz fired and new blood in that could result in much better results?

Well, then I (probably like most) would vote for taking the hit now to reap(hopefully) the benefits later.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034

Winning, regardless who the coach is. That is what is best for the program.

If we go 2-10, Holtz will still be there next year. In fact, Woolard will probably stick with Holtz, much like he has with Heath.