• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pac 12 Big 12 Bowl alliance

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

So a worthy champ at say 11-1 will be ranked higher than a 12-0 champ from say cusa????? Maybe maybe not

really? we're taking the top 4 teams from c-usa + boise state. highly unlikely.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I think lost in this is the missing $17-20 mil a year we lose by losing a BCS caliber bowl. That's where the "big 5" are the "big 5"

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

I think lost in this is the missing $17-20 mil a year we lose by losing a BCS caliber bowl. That's where the "big 5" are the "big 5"

I'm fairly certain thats what this bowl is though. It will be part of the playoff rotation, meaning at the same level as the Orange/Sugar, etc.....and the payoff should be the same

perhaps you didn't read the article but it states that it will either be the fiesta bowl or a new bowl established in houston. both likely to have big payouts.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No I saw that...I also saw GROUP OF 5 conferences.

Which means we wot necessarily be collecting that check annually like we do now.

Which means we wot necessarily be collecting that check annually like we do now.

it's still works out to less than $1.5M per year per team and that's if we are fortunate enough NOT to make the game where a program routinely losses money on the trip. that's about 3% of our measly budget. insignificant amount

And again, how often do you actually think the MWC or CUSA champ is going to be ranked higher than the Big East champ? This isn't the old MWC with BYU, TCU or Boise anymore. Their best team is Nevada, followed by Fresno and AFA. CUSA has basically been booted down to Sun Belt level losing Houston, SMU & UCF (and Memphis) to the Big East. Could ECU or Southern Miss or Nevada have some miraculous season including a big OOC win over a "BCS" team that gets them ranked over a Big East champion having a down year.....sure. But the likelyhood of that happening is probably once every ten years (if that).

I don't get what people are scared of, this is basically a gauranteed Big East bowl (atleast until the conference is picked apart again by any future expansion).

Edited by Bullshiznitz

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  277
  • Days Won:  0

So a worthy champ at say 11-1 will be ranked higher than a 12-0 champ from say cusa????? Maybe maybe not

This year a 12-0 Ohio Bobcats would probably secure the spot over a Louisville or Rutgers that ends up 10-2 or 9-3. I don't see this being good for us.

This year a 12-0 Ohio Bobcats would probably secure the spot over a Louisville or Rutgers that ends up 10-2 or 9-3. I don't see this being good for us.

Lets see them get there one. Two, they are currently 4-0 and still only ranked 37th in the USA Today Poll, with no major games to give any type of large jump. They still have a long way to climb. And even with that, I think its highly unlikely they're over a 2 loss Rutgers/Ville, possibly a 3 loss. But again you are talking perfect storm.

In the last 10 years, the only mid-major not named Boise, TCU or Utah (all of which will be in major conferences beginning next year) to go undefeated was Hawaii in 2007, and that year included a victory over a top 20 ranked Boise and over Washington.

Not to mention, the Big East gains Boise next year. We're adding a perannial top 25 (typically top 15) team to the conference to go along with a couple programs that have hung around the top 25 the past few years. Its very likely the Big East enters next year with a minimum of 2 top 25 teams (Louisville & Boise) if not 3 (Rutgers) along with others receiving votes (Cincy, UCF). Getting the Big East back to having 4-6 teams in the conference atleast receiving votes helps tremendously in helping secure our Champion being a top 20 team. And as long as the Big East champ is a top 20 team, 9/10 the Big East is getting that bowl slot.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/09/27/bmurphy/commissioner_the_big_east_will_clearly_stand_its_merits

But here are some highlights from my conversation with Aresco:

• On the reported "seventh" new BCS bowl game designed to provide access to the Big East and other conferences when the playoff system begins in 2014: "I and some of the other commissioners have been pressing for more access for, in my case, the Big East. I think it's really important. I'm encouraged by the response, but nothing's set in stone yet."

• According to reports, the automatic spot in the seventh game will be available to the highest-ranked conference champion from the Big East, Mountain West, Conference USA, Mid-American Conference and Sun Belt. On whether lumping the Big East with the other leagues is a good move: "The Big East will clearly stand on its merits and what it does on the field. I'm very confident in what our Big East schools are going to accomplish. Access is access."

• On whether that spot will be reserved for conference champions: "We have been seeking access for conference champions. There is an important distinction to be made for conference champions."

• On divisional alignments for the 12-team Big East in 2013 and the potential 14-team Big East in 2015: "We're looking at some different models for that. We haven't decided yet. We have to get it finished in the next few months. ... I want to do it right. I want to make sure we get the right divisional alignment."

Aresco said the 2013 alignment would serve as the basis for the 2015 alignment. "If you do a divisional alignment, you don't want to radically alter it when you have new teams. We'll have a template that shows 12 and then shows what 14 might look like."

• On expansion: "We know we're going to need to visit it and we're thinking about it. We're thinking about a 14th team. ... I just don't want to get into any specific teams."

• On if adding a Western team is important: "If we did add a 14th member, logically a Western team might make sense. But I'm not mentioning teams and not isolating teams. We'll look at it and try and decide what's best for the conference. We want a quality institution."

• On negotiations with Notre Dame about an early exit: "I don't know what Notre Dame's position will be. We will engage them in talks." Aresco said there has been no negotiations at this time.

• The Big East is in the middle of a 60-day exclusive negotiating window with ESPN. It began on Sept. 1. "We're encouraged. We've had a long history with ESPN. ... We're trying to get something done. There's an awful lot of interest in the Big East from other networks and cable networks. But we're very cognizant of our relationship with ESPN. We grew up with them. They grew up with us. It's been a great relationship."

• On what he is looking for from the television deal: "I don't know what it will ultimately end up being but we're looking for financial stability for our conference and maximum exposure. ... The goal is to get the kind of TV deal that will make our members extremely comfortable and happy."

• Aresco plans to make his first visit to Boise for the Broncos game against UNLV on Oct. 20. Aresco said Boise State President Bob Kustra sent him a piece of blue turf, which he has on his desk. "I'm looking forward to seeing the blue turf in person," Aresco said. "I can't say enough about the program and what it's meant to college football. Boise is a great story."