• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pac 12 Big 12 Bowl alliance

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

so you're upset because an 8-4 UConn won't get to automatically play in a BCS bowl now? who cares? I wouldn't want us playing in and getting destroyed in a top level bowl if we didn't deserve to.

I like this setup better than having to play a crappy acc champ almost every year.

No. I'm upset that the Big East has been relegated. We used to be bottom of the BCS (sometimes ACC was, allegedly). But, we were still BCS. Now, the Big East (deservedly, probably) has been swept together with the rest of the riffraff. That is going to be a major blow to USF and our football for years to come. We're officially outside looking in. Blame performance. Blame ESPN. Blame whoever. But we used to be part of the Big Six. Now there's a Big Five and we ain't one. That's what I'm upset about. We (as a league) didn't push hard enough or grease enough palms to come out of all this at the Big Boy table.

We all knew this was happening, but now's it's looking more and more official as the **** Five get their own bowl to shut up and go away. It's just a hard pill to swallow, whether it's just what we deserve or not. I was still hoping somehow the Big East would manage to attach itself exclusively to a good, traditional, name bowl and somehow push for a Big Six again.

you need to stop watching so much espn. big 5. big 4. big 6. all espn terms for promoting their tv alliances. we are no worse off then we were before except maybe we don't get an 8-4 UConn into fiesta bowl. big freaking deal. I for one didn't think they belonged.

maybe we should worry about earning respect on the field before we worry about it being given to us. if we have a deserving team then we will play in a good bowl.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

you need to stop watching so much espn. big 5. big 4. big 6. all espn terms for promoting their tv alliances. we are no worse off then we were before except maybe we don't get an 8-4 UConn into fiesta bowl. big freaking deal. I for one didn't think they belonged.

maybe we should worry about earning respect on the field before we worry about it being given to us. if we have a deserving team then we will play in a good bowl.

All fair points. The problem, though, is everyone else watches ESPN. We need that exposure (hopefully we'll get some with NBC soon). Being officially removed from the marketing machine that is ESPN (and the rest of the mass media) and its coverage of CFB cannot be a good thing. I would think this has to impact recruiting (maybe not locally), it would impact merchandising, brainshare of casual fans, etc. etc. Like it or not, CFB is a caste system and we just became the untouchables, or maybe a step or two up. Certainly, we're not in a good spot.

Since our (as USF) on-the-field performance isn't exactly lighting any fires, it's even more important to be a part of a conference that's getting good promotion in the media.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Not trying to add salt to the wound, but we as a football team just lost to a team in the MAC. We currently deserve to be in a **** five conference.

You do realize that this is happening a good deal in college football these days? I understand the pain when you add in last year but using just that as barometer isn't really realistic ...

I agree, hence the word currently.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768

so you're upset because an 8-4 UConn won't get to automatically play in a BCS bowl now? who cares? I wouldn't want us playing in and getting destroyed in a top level bowl if we didn't deserve to.

I like this setup better than having to play a crappy acc champ almost every year.

No. I'm upset that the Big East has been relegated. We used to be bottom of the BCS (sometimes ACC was, allegedly). But, we were still BCS. Now, the Big East (deservedly, probably) has been swept together with the rest of the riffraff. That is going to be a major blow to USF and our football for years to come. We're officially outside looking in. Blame performance. Blame ESPN. Blame whoever. But we used to be part of the Big Six. Now there's a Big Five and we ain't one. That's what I'm upset about. We (as a league) didn't push hard enough or grease enough palms to come out of all this at the Big Boy table.

We all knew this was happening, but now's it's looking more and more official as the **** Five get their own bowl to shut up and go away. It's just a hard pill to swallow, whether it's just what we deserve or not. I was still hoping somehow the Big East would manage to attach itself exclusively to a good, traditional, name bowl and somehow push for a Big Six again.

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking here, but for one "the Big Five" is nothing but some sound byte that ESPN is pushing to hurt the Big East. And more importantly, last i checked the playoffs are 4 teams, not 5. The ACC is in no better position to get a team in the playoffs than the Big East. And realistically thats all that matters. These other Bowl games (or glorified exhibition games) are nothing but money grabs for the most part. And if our Bowl game pays out the same as the Orange, and provides us with a similar matchup (ACC champ will be getting a #2/#3 from the SEC/B1G), then I don't really see how they are that much better off than us. Sure their secondary bowl games will probably be better, but thats no different than right now.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If we go 12-0 (if only) then I think we have a decent shot for inclusion in the playoff (provided we schedule a couple good OOC opponents every year), but even at 10-2 or 11-1 and win our conference we would be the top ranked team available for that slot.

All fair points. The problem, though, is everyone else watches ESPN. We need that exposure (hopefully we'll get some with NBC soon). Being officially removed from the marketing machine that is ESPN (and the rest of the mass media) and its coverage of CFB cannot be a good thing. I would think this has to impact recruiting (maybe not locally), it would impact merchandising, brainshare of casual fans, etc. etc. Like it or not, CFB is a caste system and we just became the untouchables, or maybe a step or two up. Certainly, we're not in a good spot.

Since our (as USF) on-the-field performance isn't exactly lighting any fires, it's even more important to be a part of a conference that's getting good promotion in the media.

would you rather play on espn and be relegated to tuesday/wedsnesday nights(primetime thursday/friday are going to bigger conferences now) and crappy saturday slots or play on nbc sports and get all day saturday, thursday/friday nights?

you act as though we are falling behind. we aren't. we have always been in the 5th/6th best conference. we still are. we have always had crappy bowl tie ins. we still do.

we will never surpass sec, big12, pac 12, big 10 in money, exposure, etc.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959

Bull94, as I said before, all fair points. I'm just not confident that the way things are shaking out is going to be good for us. I know we'll never get SEC or Pac 12 money, respect, or exposure as a conference, but it feels less like status quo and more like regressing. Maybe I'm just projecting my disappointed in our on-field performance on this whole conference/bowl/play off thing.

When it's all said and done, though, we are who we are and we'll play where we'll play. I just wish we (USF and the Big East) could have leveraged all of this expansion and general chaos into something better than it appears we're getting. C'est la vie.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I am not a fan of this new "playoff" system, but it doesn't look like theres much that we can do about it. You could always say we'll jump ship to another conference...but lets be honest here, it ain't happening any time soon with how we play. It could always be worse. For a 16 year old team I think we've really done a lot. The problem, is that we are used to this rapid progression that we've been blessed with.

Bull94, as I said before, all fair points. I'm just not confident that the way things are shaking out is going to be good for us. I know we'll never get SEC or Pac 12 money, respect, or exposure as a conference, but it feels less like status quo and more like regressing. Maybe I'm just projecting my disappointed in our on-field performance on this whole conference/bowl/play off thing.

When it's all said and done, though, we are who we are and we'll play where we'll play. I just wish we (USF and the Big East) could have leveraged all of this expansion and general chaos into something better than it appears we're getting. C'est la vie.

I'm not sure how the big east was going to leverage anything. or USF for that matter.

Like Sanjay said, if we go 12-0 with a good schedule we will get into playoffs. if we go 10-2 we're almost assured of going to what may be the fiesta bowl. Personally i think the changes have been for the better for college football as a whole and that includes us. our conference schedule isn't as exciting as i thought with wvu and tcu but I don't mind some new blood. I think our opportunites are just as good as any lower level "big 5 " team. they would need to go 12-0 and have a decent OOC to make playoffs as well. the bluebloods will always have an advantage. they always did. nothing has changed as far as us becoming equal with them. you could say the same for any team from 20 on though no matter what conference they are in.

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

So a worthy champ at say 11-1 will be ranked higher than a 12-0 champ from say cusa????? Maybe maybe not