• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Numbers Don't Lie

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

The kickoff was epic... pee wee coaching says... 'hey guys, Lamar and Hopkins are really fast and dangerous, don't be surprised if they don't kick to those guys'

But, we looked totally surprised.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

The entire game the team seamed to play without emotion. Play calling stunk and no defensive pressure. If Futgers didn't shoot themselves in the foot a ew times, this game would have been worse.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Other than play calling, in game adjustments and some management decisions, the coaches shortcomings take place throughout the week and the results end up on what you see during thee games.

The coaches should have known that Rutgers was going to spy BJ, they should have known, they were going to blitz like crazy. There should have been plan B and plan C to adjust to, but they lost the chess match.

One thing that was driving me crazy and has been a problem in years past is our route running. When we need 8 yards for a first down (on 3rd) why do our receivers only run 6 yard routes. That falls on coaching and teaching. Watch most of Rutgers 3rd down pass plays. The receivers need 10 they run 11 yard routes. They ran a few where the receivers ran short routes, but they have big strong receivers. They could get away with it.

Personnel moves fall on the coaches. I questioned before and I will again...Bradley Battles hasn't touched the ball year. Now you decide to give a cold player his first touch at the goal line in the 3rd quarter of the most important game of the year? on the last drive, 3rd and 6 (I think it was) why is your best receiver watching from the sideline? You have a big strong receiver in Dunkley, that showed last week he can go over the middle and catch the ball in traffic. Where was he all game?

BJ certainly deserves some of the blame, but I think Fitch panics as well. If he has a game plan it really seems that if he gets behind he doesn't know how to work the ball down the field. It just seems like he says ok, screw it. Let's just heave it downfied and hope.

I have zero confidence in this coaching staff to manage a situation once we get inside 3 minutes of a half. Again, heave it up and maybe we will get lucky. On either side of the ball the certainly don't command the field. they just seem to hope for the best.

Exxecution kills us for sure, but for the last 3 years the coaching staff seems to try to keep the games close and hope we win the game somehow.

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

as bad as the coaching was we win that game without BJ's bad decision-making and the dozen or so dropped passes by the receivers.

players have limitations. u can coach them all u want but if they can't do something they can't do it. BJ can't see over the middle. he CAN'T, as in does not have the ability. no amount of teaching or coaching is going to change the way his brain works when it comes to that particular skill. we can say "well then CSH shouldn't have thrown it 30+ times" and to a degree that is a legitimate criticism, but if half the passes our receivers dropped-- just the easy ones, like on the goal line-- had been caught, or at least not tipped off our own receivers hands right into the arms of an intercepting defender, we don't lose the game. heaving the ball 30+ times with BJ is not a strategy to win, but we weren't beating them on the ground that night.

IMO if i were to blame this game on any single decision by Holtz it would be the failed 4th and 1 in the first half that would have put us up 9-0. being up by more than a possession increases urgency which leads to mistakes. with a 6 point lead in that situation u take the points.

this loss is on everyone.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687

5 turnovers. Rutgers pressure was too much apparently.

1 dropped punt (coaching/mitchell)

1 throw bounced off the ground (ref, no idea how they can justify that one, it touched the ground without a doubt and the player did not have control of it)

1 tipped off of receiver (Landi)

1 thrown straight to Rutgers (BJ/offensive line)

1 not fielded kick off (coaching????)

Take away any of those first 4 turnovers and we may have won, however all criticisms of the team and staff remain valid.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

as bad as the coaching was we win that game without BJ's bad decision-making and the dozen or so dropped passes by the receivers.

players have limitations. u can coach them all u want but if they can't do something they can't do it. BJ can't see over the middle. he CAN'T, as in does not have the ability. no amount of teaching or coaching is going to change the way his brain works when it comes to that particular skill. we can say "well then CSH shouldn't have thrown it 30+ times" and to a degree that is a legitimate criticism, but if half the passes our receivers dropped-- just the easy ones, like on the goal line-- had been caught, or at least not tipped off our own receivers hands right into the arms of an intercepting defender, we don't lose the game. heaving the ball 30+ times with BJ is not a strategy to win, but we weren't beating them on the ground that night.

IMO if i were to blame this game on any single decision by Holtz it would be the failed 4th and 1 in the first half that would have put us up 9-0. being up by more than a possession increases urgency which leads to mistakes. with a 6 point lead in that situation u take the points.

this loss is on everyone.

great coaches find a way to win. a master chess player doesn't blame his pieces for a loss.

BJ Daniels averaged 4.5 yards per carry. he threw it 33 times in a 1 possession game up until the last 5 minutes.

the coaches aren't using their pieces properly.

Other than play calling, in game adjustments and some management decisions, the coaches shortcomings take place throughout the week and the results end up on what you see during thee games.

The coaches should have known that Rutgers was going to spy BJ, they should have known, they were going to blitz like crazy. There should have been plan B and plan C to adjust to, but they lost the chess match.

One thing that was driving me crazy and has been a problem in years past is our route running. When we need 8 yards for a first down (on 3rd) why do our receivers only run 6 yard routes. That falls on coaching and teaching. Watch most of Rutgers 3rd down pass plays. The receivers need 10 they run 11 yard routes. They ran a few where the receivers ran short routes, but they have big strong receivers. They could get away with it.

Personnel moves fall on the coaches. I questioned before and I will again...Bradley Battles hasn't touched the ball year. Now you decide to give a cold player his first touch at the goal line in the 3rd quarter of the most important game of the year? on the last drive, 3rd and 6 (I think it was) why is your best receiver watching from the sideline? You have a big strong receiver in Dunkley, that showed last week he can go over the middle and catch the ball in traffic. Where was he all game?

BJ certainly deserves some of the blame, but I think Fitch panics as well. If he has a game plan it really seems that if he gets behind he doesn't know how to work the ball down the field. It just seems like he says ok, screw it. Let's just heave it downfied and hope.

I have zero confidence in this coaching staff to manage a situation once we get inside 3 minutes of a half. Again, heave it up and maybe we will get lucky. On either side of the ball the certainly don't command the field. they just seem to hope for the best.

Exxecution kills us for sure, but for the last 3 years the coaching staff seems to try to keep the games close and hope we win the game somehow.

I agree. some of their personnel decisions are baffling. they took out our 6'6" TE, which should be a match-up nightmare, when we were inside their 5 yard line and inserted Dunkley who is a speedster. they threw fades to our 5'5" receiver.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222

I agree. some of their personnel decisions are baffling. they took out our 6'6" TE, which should be a match-up nightmare, when we were inside their 5 yard line and inserted Dunkley who is a speedster. they threw fades to our 5'5" receiver.

winner.jpg

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

Do you mean the put Hopkins in?

They say Dunkley is very good fighting for the ball on the fade.

The other bizarro move was Battles on the goal line. Put the guy that hasn't touched the ball all year and was cold, sitting on the sideline for 2 1/2 quarters the ball in a must score situation. Would be no difference in putting Floyd in there. At least he has taken a few snaps this year.

Do you mean the put Hopkins in?

They say Dunkley is very good fighting for the ball on the fade.

The other bizarro move was Battles on the goal line. Put the guy that hasn't touched the ball all year and was cold, sitting on the sideline for 2 1/2 quarters the ball in a must score situation. Would be no difference in putting Floyd in there. At least he has taken a few snaps this year.

it wasn't so much they put dunkley in at the 5. it was the fact they took our huge TE out and I really don't remember seeing dunkley out there much more.