• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A reason to not OCS so quickly

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I have zero clue what UCF's new stadium tailgating is like, but To suggest tailgating at RJS is close to the experience of tailgating on a campus is absurd.

RJS is nice and all, but it's nothing like that campus experience.

nobody who has gone to a major conference on-campus tailgate/game would disagree with you.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

I have zero clue what UCF's new stadium tailgating is like, but To suggest tailgating at RJS is close to the experience of tailgating on a campus is absurd.

Please explain how tailgating will be so much better on our campus ...

its also an opportunity to go back to the place you graduated.... see familiar places and see the changes on a regular basis.... Seeing campus flooded with people and folks tailgating in lots/fields (on campus of course) would be really cool to see...

some of you guys need to go to away games and see what its like...

That's not the actual tailgating part, that's the visiting the campus part and once you do it the first game each year, as an out of towner, it's done .... and the most recent away game I've gone to was Notre Dame and the tailgating part was basically the same as here .... in a parking lot, surrounded by Bulls fans, colors flying, food and beer.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

RJS tail gating blows away UCFs. at UCF you are scattered around campus. parking garages, lots nowhere near stadium, lots not even on campus. perhaps if you were a top donor you could get a decent spot but not so for the average fan . same with any other campus tail gating. UF, FSU, etc. at UF we basically parked on a side walk in front of a academic building. at FSU we parked in a bar parking lot off campus. campuses aren't built for tail gating. professional football stadiums are.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

RJS tail gating blows away UCFs. at UCF you are scattered around campus. parking garages, lots nowhere near stadium, lots not even on campus. perhaps if you were a top donor you could get a decent spot but not so for the average fan . same with any other campus tail gating. UF, FSU, etc. at UF we basically parked on a side walk in front of a academic building. at FSU we parked in a bar parking lot off campus. campuses aren't built for tail gating. professional football stadiums are.

^+1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

^+1

I'm a tad uneasy agreeing with these two on this ...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Being "scattered" on campus is great while celebrating the beginning of the football day. Most of the best tailgating at Ray Jay happens in NON Ray Jay lots. People parking in small clumps in yards, much like finding a good place on campus for you and some friends. Different strokes, for different folks. I have more fun tailgating on campus.

BTW Friday was AWESOME. Great showing for the kids, team came back, and an opposing coach was so pissed at me after the game that he was starring at me while they were having their "team meeting" on the field. I just smiled at him with the pleasure of knowing that we just beat them.

Edited by Bull-by-Marriage

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

go tell FSU and UF alum their "scattered around campus" tailgates suck.

sorry, i agree with joe and cmhatter. on campus tailgates have an entirely different vibe than RJS.

RJS is cool. but they line you up in rows, it's like an organized block party.

UCF you have some organization, but it feels entirely different. i tailgated for 12 hours in 2008 when we played there. minus the ribbing i took for being the only usf person for 3-4 hours before noon, it was beyond cool. it's like a real party. they're not really different in what goes on, but it just "feels" different.

the tailgating around FSU was like the UF ones I've been to. it's more of that party-party style, just super relaxed. usf's still seems forced. granted, i never did much in the usf student section for tailgates, so maybe I'm just used to the more sedated version of tailgating. which, i actually enjoy. just don't say it outdoes ucf/fsu/uf.

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah I agree with Joe and cmhatter. Go to Gainesville for a gameday or Tally. Go tailgate on their campus. It's a much better atmosphere being on campus. It's YOUR campus and YOUR stadium. USF games feel like NFL games.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

From USA Today ranking of BE stadiums: http://sports.photos.usatoday.com/gallery/Ranking-the-Big-East-football-stadiums?mediagallery

Big East: On-campus sites are where it's at

7) USF, Raymond James Stadium: Raymond James is an NFL stadium and it feels like that taking in a game. There have been a handful of memorable moments, but the seas of empty red seats look and feel ridiculous.

RJS is a great NFL stadium but nothing compares to an on campus experience for college football.

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Simple solution is for you guys that want an OCS stadium come back with the $300 million needed for a quality stadium that fans aren't afraid will collapse on them and donate it to USF. Than the argument is mute.