• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Now That The NBE Is Shutout Of The NCG...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Getting picked up by a "better" conference isn't a sure thing either, maybe they don't want to deepen the pool with new guys and cut into their precious money pie.

My biggest concern is that with this new big 4 setup is that the "middle" conferences as i will now refer to them as, will definitely have teams that are competitive and have great years, but the sustainability factor goes way down. any coach with a glimpse of success will be snatched up before the success gets to the point of being in the 4 team playoff, much less get in and win the whole thing. it's still possible for sure. and there is the exception where a team like boise state can make a great run even from one coach to another over a 5-10 year period.

and not that i'm worried they will snatch up holtz, but it's almost like not only is this shaping up to funnel the money and prestige towards the 4 conferences, but also to shape and funnel prospective coaches into the big 4 and away from anyone in the middle who might have a legit shot for once at getting to the four person big boy table. you won't see as many coaches from the pac12/sec/big12/big10 going to a school in those conferences unless it's a dream job or guy going home to his alumni, or a previous coach getting fired and then later picked up at another school from a top 4 conference. all "new" coaches to the scene will be pillaged from the middle.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Getting picked up by a "better" conference isn't a sure thing either, maybe they don't want to deepen the pool with new guys and cut into their precious money pie.

My biggest concern is that with this new big 4 setup is that the "middle" conferences as i will now refer to them as, will definitely have teams that are competitive and have great years, but the sustainability factor goes way down. any coach with a glimpse of success will be snatched up before the success gets to the point of being in the 4 team playoff, much less get in and win the whole thing. it's still possible for sure. and there is the exception where a team like boise state can make a great run even from one coach to another over a 5-10 year period.

and not that i'm worried they will snatch up holtz, but it's almost like not only is this shaping up to funnel the money and prestige towards the 4 conferences, but also to shape and funnel prospective coaches into the big 4 and away from anyone in the middle who might have a legit shot for once at getting to the four person big boy table. you won't see as many coaches from the pac12/sec/big12/big10 going to a school in those conferences unless it's a dream job or guy going home to his alumni, or a previous coach getting fired and then later picked up at another school from a top 4 conference. all "new" coaches to the scene will be pillaged from the middle.

how is this any different than what we currently have?

correct me if I'm wrong but almost the instant a coach had success in the BE they were off to a power conference. Rich Rod, Brian Kelly, Petrino(via NFL). the big east was never a destination job.

money and prestige funneled to the power conferences before. look at how much the SEC paid out compared to the BE.

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

The way I see it, using the 2007 formula as an example, USF will have to win 2 big games against top ranked (top 20) opponents and go undefeated in the conference in order to be in

the game... but to make it to the top 4, we are ALWAYS going to need help in the form of CHAOS from the other leagues... in 2007 we had a different number 1 every week, that helped

propel USF faster in the polls.

In the future, the new BE might have one or two teams ranked, lets say for example Boise St. and us, and if we play say a Florida or Michigan State on our O.O.C. schedule along with some "easier" games... we will be fine IF we win out, and get some help.

(2007 had WVU at #5 and Auburn at #18)

NO MATTER IF WE WERE IN THE BIG12 OR ACC USF would always need to go this route... UNLESS they adapt Conference Champs as a criteria for making the top 4, then all bets are off and we are DONE!!

Our road has not changed, just the prestige and how much money we receive has...

just my 2 cents... and I also want to go on record and say I think USF is in line to have a special year this year!!

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

I forgot to mention, Penn State's scandal had nothing to do with the talent of the team. I am not aware of any players leaving last year, and this year's class of commits who de-committed do not count.

So you're saying that the scandal at Penn State had no effect on the football team whatsoever, the ouster of their beloved coach notwithstanding?

In terms of the scandal "causing the Penn State football team to lose," we can only speculate. There is no actual proof. And even if so, just beating a team "deserving more than 9 wins" is impressive.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Solution:

Win 10 games a year consistantly and be picked up by a better conference.

That may not be so easy if the SEC, B10 and B12 take the scraps of the ACC if they ever dissolve and there is no room left.

I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but I see all of what's happening in CFB as a consolidation of power, not as a re-distrubtion of it. To this point, we have not been given a seat at the table. What makes some of you think we are (or would be, if we ever won the conference) any different than Boise State, who for all of their recent accomplishments have been denied the respect and prestige they have earned?

Face it, there will ALWAYS be a reason to keep the little guy out of CFB. The abolishing of the BCS just makes it easier.

I love USF - I have given generously to the school and I will continue to in the future. However, I think I am more realistic than some on this board in believing that we will not have a seat at the table when all is said and done.

The fact of the matter is USF is looked down upon by almost all of the collegiate world, athletically and academically. Perhaps the powers that be are threatened by us, but it is what it is. Those in the position of power and prestige are not going to do USF any favors in helping us improve our clout - just look at how biased everything is in Tallahassee.

I think some of you are going to be very disappointed when things don't pan out the way you think they will.

Solution:

That may not be so easy if the SEC, B10 and B12 take the scraps of the ACC if they ever dissolve and there is no room left.

I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but I see all of what's happening in CFB as a consolidation of power, not as a re-distrubtion of it. To this point, we have not been given a seat at the table. What makes some of you think we are (or would be, if we ever won the conference) any different than Boise State, who for all of their recent accomplishments have been denied the respect and prestige they have earned?

Face it, there will ALWAYS be a reason to keep the little guy out of CFB. The abolishing of the BCS just makes it easier.

I love USF - I have given generously to the school and I will continue to in the future. However, I think I am more realistic than some on this board in believing that we will not have a seat at the table when all is said and done.

The fact of the matter is USF is looked down upon by almost all of the collegiate world, athletically and academically. Perhaps the powers that be are threatened by us, but it is what it is. Those in the position of power and prestige are not going to do USF any favors in helping us improve our clout - just look at how biased everything is in Tallahassee.

I think some of you are going to be very disappointed when things don't pan out the way you think they will.

why all the sky-is-falling stuff?

boise state will be better off under a system where they choose 4 teams as opposed to 2 teams. so will we.

they had next to no shot in the old system. they couldn't schedule tough enough to compensate for their weak conference.

the system sucked. they could only select 2 teams and there was no way they would put an undefeated boise ahead of a 13-0 alabama or 13-0 texas or 12-0 cincy or 12-0 TCU and honestly that is the way it should have been. take that 2009 season. a playoff consisting of the top 4 would have included a big east team and a MWC team. as it were those 2 were left out because they could only choose 2.

now at least 2 more teams get included. it's a step in the right direction.

They are not consolidating power. they are expanding it. they are taking control of their postseason. the bowls were horribly corrupt. they siphoned $10's of millions from the schools. this is essentially a 4 team playoff and that is better than a 2 team.

why do people think we are going from an all inclusive system(where nobody from a non power conference played for a title) to a system that excludes (even though it will include 2 more teams which gives non power more chance)? this new system is including more teams and that benefits us.

2010 instead of SEC vs Pac 10. we could have had #1 Auburn vs #4 Stanford and #2 Oregon vs #3 TCU

right there shows you it's better for the small guys. 2009 cincy and tcu make it. 2010 tcu makes it. this is more inclusive.

will it be tough for a non power to make it? absolutely. it should be tough. will it be impossible? no actually it is more likely to happen now than it ever has been.

think of it this way.

was it better for the non power basketball teams when they expanded the ncaa tournament from 8 teams to 16 teams?

of course it was.

now there were double the number of participants just as going from 2 to 4 would double the number of football participants.

eventually they will go to 8 teams when the realize how much more money is out there. this gives us an even better chance. FCS is about to go to 24 team playoff. it might not ever get there for d-1a but it only means more money for all. not less.

basketball doubled it again to 32 which included even more non power teams. see how this works. they are becoming more inclusive. not less. just like basketball did way back when.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Solution:

Well 1st off let's look at the facts. Boise State is Not "denied the respect and prestige they have earned". For anyone who knows anything about CFB, BSU is a known and respected football team and have received the benefit of that knowledge. They have been to a BCS bowl game 2x in the last 5 years. What do you think they got in because of there good looking field?

2nd- "USF is looked down upon by almost all of the collegiate world, athletically and academically". Give me a break. We are the Cinderella waiting for Prince Charming to show up. Every year the pundits pick us to win or compete for the BE title. Our problem has been matching the performance to the expectation. Were you around when we shot to the top of the polls based or wining starts to our FB season and not much else? Geez, we are on the brink of signing the best FB recruiting class in our history after coming off of a disastrous 2011 campaign. We have beautiful new athletic facilities. We have just improved our APR scores at a record pace. Would you rather be prestigious UConn who can't play in the postseason next year, because their BB team is failing everything?

The title of this thread is completely inaccurate. We didn't get "shut out" of anything by that news yesterday. It is in fact a source of an entire new income stream for USF. You need to pepper your argument with supportable facts, rather than crying "no one loves us". You aren't arguing glass half empty... you are trying to say no one will put anything in my glass. We have to go earn this. We do that, we are fine. And thanks for giving to the cause, don't give up yet.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

I've pondered and commented on this previously in this thread, but now I'll ask again, once the 'power conferences' finish their expansion (and there's no reason to believe they are finished now) and the PAC - B10 & proposed B12 - ND scheduling agreements take effect, how will we, or anyone else in the NBE or below schedule 'tough enough' as Bull94 suggested?

If, as I understand it, SOS becomes a bigger component of being favored by the selection committee and earning a spot in the playoffs, I believe the opportunities to play a team from the five top conferences (as they will be larger and have scheduling agreements) will become fewer, harder to schedule and therefore, harder to define our season by.

I'm not being pessimistic as how things are here and now, as they look today - I'm thinking and commenting about how the landscape will look once the dust settles from these recent announcements and expansion is done.

I appreciate the debate and do not mind being told I'm wrong when I am - thank you.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Once the dust settles these teams will still need to schedule easier non power conference teams on their OCC to try and guarantee OCC wins if their conference schedules are as tough a you claim. We'll just have to continue to upset them.