• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Now That The NBE Is Shutout Of The NCG...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

The issue is the BE was not represented at the meetings. In our moment of greatest weekness we were not even really at the table.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

We have 2 years to win the BE and win 2 BCS bowls, let's do it. If you weren't a grandfathered in school, then it's almost impossible to join their club. Hopefully, this 4 team playoff will only last a couple of years, then bumped up to an 8 team playoff. That would be perfect and fair for all schools. Thank goodness our basketball program seems like it's finally starting to take off.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Will people quite saying the NBE is better than the old. It's not...this whole situation sucks.

Over the last several years, the NBE teams have been at least as good on the field. There are less traditional "prestige" schools. That is why we want the system to be based on on the field performance rather than names. If it is based on the field performance, we have a fighting chance.

While there is a chance, it's not really much of one because, if I understand correctly, while computers will still be involved in rankings so the on the field performance will have value, the 4 playing for the MNC will be chosen by a committee so good luck with that.

This isn't about being in the top 4, it's about getting in the big bowls. The SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 will dominate the top four. The Pac 12 won't even get there often. But the Pac 12 gets in the big bowls where the big money is. That's what you want. If you aren't in the big money bowls, you aren't relevant.

The focus shouldn't be on being one of the top four, it's about being relevant so you can bring in the $$$.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Will people quite saying the NBE is better than the old. It's not...this whole situation sucks.

Over the last several years, the NBE teams have been at least as good on the field. There are less traditional "prestige" schools. That is why we want the system to be based on on the field performance rather than names. If it is based on the field performance, we have a fighting chance.

It won't be. Why do you think expansion has been driven by and involved recognizable & "name brand" schools?

Weren't the losses of Pitt and Syracuse designed by ESPN to strip the NBE of it's most prestigious and name-brand schools (albeit, basketball schools) in an attempt to weaken and ultimately, destroy the conference?

Make no mistake, conference expansion is being driven by accumulating inventory with recognizable names in large markets.

If the conferences are hell-bent on adding big-name, brand schools and their representatives will be on the selection committee, what makes you think we or any other non-brand school has a shot at the NCG?

Don't you think the networks, the advertisers as well as the bowls themselves would prefer guaranteed draws with legions of rabid fans for their televised games? Don't you think their powerful influence would be felt by the selection committee?

Exactly. Forget how the top four is selected, that is irrelevant to us. It's whether we as a conference have a chance to consistently get into the top bowls against the big conferences to create the name recognition and $$$ to be able to consistently compete and force your way in to the top four once in a while.

It isn't about becoming one of the big four, it's about not becoming CUSA. If it's a rankings based system, we're still far above CUSA and MW.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

It's easy when you're playing the Rices and UTEPs of the world. Look at SMU, UCF, Temple, and Houston (w/o Keenum) have done against quality opponents. Your answer is there.

Listen we're in a MUCH better position than everyone else below us. It's the 5, then us, then the 4.

Qqluandlagainst quality opponents

UCF beat Georgia in a bowl game last year, and Houston upset Penn State in this year's Ticket City Bowl.

Edited by Florida Bull

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

It's easy when you're playing the Rices and UTEPs of the world. Look at SMU, UCF, Temple, and Houston (w/o Keenum) have done against quality opponents. Your answer is there.

Listen we're in a MUCH better position than everyone else below us. It's the 5, then us, then the 4.

Qqluandlagainst quality opponents

UCF beat Georgia in a bowl game last year, and Houston upset Penn State in this year's Ticket City Bowl.

That Georgia team finished 6-7, and Penn State wasn't very good and had just been through the worst scandal in college history.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

OMG. The Sky Has Fallen and consistent BE conference hater Brett McMurphy Has confirmed it. Unfortunately for him, as usual, the facts don't support the conclusion. Quoting Brett is like looking at a broken wind vane to see how hard the wind is blowing in a hurricane. Even the quotes within his article, belie his conclusions. The BE is no worse off than let's say Notre Dame? Maybe that's why they are scrambling toward the B12. They haven't been ranked in 5 years while new NBE member Boise is 5th in the country. If Boise can make it into BCS bowls every year despite coming from some conference out west. Why is the BE doomed. We get a revenue source we have never had. The selection comm. composition will be determined by 12 conferences. All this talk about the Big 4 or 5 is paranoid.If the use the last 5 year ranking model to determine revenue distribution, we will have the biggest windfall we have ever had. Using Brett's numbers, here we go:

Playoff revenue est. between 400-500 MM. I use 500MM in my calculation for easy calculation and an optimistic approach.

Big East 2014 members have 130 ranking pts out of a possible 1635. Percentage of the take according to these assumptions.7.95 per cent , we round to 8.

8 per cent of the $500MM revenues equal $40MM. Divided by let assume 12 BE teams $3.33 MM per team.

This is all completely independent of our new TV deal. Are you aware of what our total payout for TV revenue was last year? $3.3 million dollars per school.The playoff revenue split will be greater than what we have been getting for everything each year. And we are going to instigate a bidding war in the fall for the last remaining CFB programming rights. My prediction here and now is that we get somewhere between 10 and 15 million per team. half of what the B12, SEC and P12 get. Far fetched I think not.

Now to the issue of the "selection committee. We use it for CBB and no one grouses that much. It probably has a tilt toward the Elite team, but not much. This selection committe has to be approved by a majority of 11 conferences and ND. They need 7 votes. If they put together a selection committee that isn't fair, it will fail miserably. The 5 Big conferences, even with ND can't get the votes to pass a bogus selection comm. I was pissed when I first heard about this but, it is growing on me as we speak. Sure, the rich get richer. But they were gonna get richer anyway. We may be barnacles on the Queen Mary but we are barnacles with 5 times more revenues than we had yesterday. After analyzing this, I could give a flying **** what BMM says about the BE. We are rich.They got my vote.

Oh and as to the BE being shut out of the NCG, that just flies in the face of the announcement. The top 4 teams by consensus will go. Means you have to play a tougher OOC schedule if you want to get there. tOSU can't schedule all the OH comm. colleges and expect to get in. It will probably improve the team play and level the playing field without giving guaranteed spots to anyone. I like it. BSU is gonna rock in this format. They won't have to climb over every swinging **** conference champion to get in the 4. We better toughen up if we expect to get to that level. time to put up or :stfu:

Edited by Bullwinkle

Oh, another prediction. Andrea Analson will declare the downfall of the BE tomorrow as well.

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

OMG. The Sky Has Fallen and consistent BE conference hater Brett McMurphy Has confirmed it. Unfortunately for him, as usual, the facts don't support the conclusion. Quoting Brett is like looking at a broken wind vane to see how hard the wind is blowing in a hurricane. Even the quotes within his article, belie his conclusions. The BE is no worse off than let's say Notre Dame? Maybe that's why they are scrambling toward the B12. They haven't been ranked in 5 years while new NBE member Boise is 5th in the country. If Boise can make it into BCS bowls every year despite coming from some conference out west. Why is the BE doomed. We get a revenue source we have never had. The selection comm. composition will be determined by 12 conferences. All this talk about the Big 4 or 5 is paranoid.If the use the last 5 year ranking model to determine revenue distribution, we will have the biggest windfall we have ever had. Using Brett's numbers, here we go:

Playoff revenue est. between 400-500 MM. I use 500MM in my calculation for easy calculation and an optimistic approach.

Big East 2014 members have 130 ranking pts out of a possible 1635. Percentage of the take according to these assumptions.7.95 per cent , we round to 8.

8 per cent of the $500MM revenues equal $40MM. Divided by let assume 12 BE teams $3.33 MM per team.

This is all completely independent of our new TV deal. Are you aware of what our total payout for TV revenue was last year? $3.3 million dollars per school.The playoff revenue split will be greater than what we have been getting for everything each year. And we are going to instigate a bidding war in the fall for the last remaining CFB programming rights. My prediction here and now is that we get somewhere between 10 and 15 million per team. half of what the B12, SEC and P12 get. Far fetched I think not.

Now to the issue of the "selection committee. We use it for CBB and no one grouses that much. It probably has a tilt toward the Elite team, but not much. This selection committe has to be approved by a majority of 11 conferences and ND. They need 7 votes. If they put together a selection committee that isn't fair, it will fail miserably. The 5 Big conferences, even with ND can't get the votes to pass a bogus selection comm. I was pissed when I first heard about this but, it is growing on me as we speak. Sure, the rich get richer. But they were gonna get richer anyway. We may be barnacles on the Queen Mary but we are barnacles with 5 times more revenues than we had yesterday. After analyzing this, I could give a flying **** what BMM says about the BE. We are rich.They got my vote.

Oh and as to the BE being shut out of the NCG, that just flies in the face of the announcement. The top 4 teams by consensus will go. Means you have to play a tougher OOC schedule if you want to get there. tOSU can't schedule all the OH comm. colleges and expect to get in. It will probably improve the team play and level the playing field without giving guaranteed spots to anyone. I like it. BSU is gonna rock in this format. They won't have to climb over every swinging **** conference champion to get in the 4. We better toughen up if we expect to get to that level. time to put up or :stfu:

The WAC is dead. There are only 10 conferences.

The WAC is dead. There are only 10 conferences.

They have a representative at the meetings and a voting share in the Presidential Oversight committee.