• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Football Stadium Talk

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I think the indoor practice facility is huge, not just for football, but track, soccer, and other field sports.

This is florida and practices get cancelled regularly in the months of June - Sept, primetime for many of our key sports.

Glad we put this over an OCS.

And no matter how you feel about UCF's practice facility, it is 1000 times better than our indoor practice facility today. That is a selling point and they are fortunate.

yeah I agree. no way should sports be played outdoors.

we shouldn;t subject these poor athletes to the conditions they would find in actually playing the games. I say they tear down the business building and put it there.

It's about the lightning.... troll on

Exactly, Tampa is the lightning capital of the US. Our hockey team is named Lightning, for a reason. http://weather.about.com/od/thunderstormsandlightning/tp/lightningstates.htm Florida is #1, with the next closes being half of the lightning deaths.

http://www.roger-russell.com/lightning/lightning.htm

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,469
  • Days Won:  25

That's why the Rays want to build an open air stadium

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I think the indoor practice facility is huge, not just for football, but track, soccer, and other field sports.

This is florida and practices get cancelled regularly in the months of June - Sept, primetime for many of our key sports.

And no matter how you feel about UCF's practice facility, it is 1000 times better than our indoor practice facility today. That is a selling point and they are fortunate.

we shouldn;t subject these poor athletes to the conditions they would find in actually playing the games. I say they tear down the business building and put it there.

Exactly, Tampa is the lightning capital of the US. Our hockey team is named Lightning, for a reason. http://weather.about.com/od/thunderstormsandlightning/tp/lightningstates.htm Florida is #1, with the next closes being half of the lightning deaths.

Boom there goes the dynamite

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Even the name of the city comes from "tsampa" a Caloosa indian word that means "stick of fire" i.e. lightning.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Reality is they want a retractible roof stadium.

• Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

Reality is they want a retractible roof stadium.

Word. To say the Rays plan on an open air stadium is just straight ign'ant. The Rays will get a new ballpark before we get an OCS. Its too bad USF can't just threaten to leave the city and then get what they want like Pro teams can. But thats a whole different argument.

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Not that he would have done it, but Steinbrenner's family saved more than enough on estate taxes alone when he died last year to fully fund a wonderful stadium. Maybe some day. How about LeRoy Selmon field at Facebook Stadium?

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

Don't want to speak for anyone else, but I'm thinking USF will tell you there are more direct and immediate ways to help the football program. Starting a fund toward an on-campus football stadium -- we'll say $200 million on the very low end -- is earmarking money for something that could be literally decades away. Priority now is an indoor practice facility -- they're working to line up support for that, which should run about $14-million.

$14 Million is a lot of money to enclose a football field... even with a few offices and storage tacked on, plus design fees, and all the other stuff, that is a high number.

There was a thread on this within the past month. It is not a cheap bubble type facility. I think Auburn just spent $16 million for something like we want. FSU should have something similar built within a year. I'm not sure how much they are paying for it, but it's probably close to that.

YqN31l.jpg

$14 Million...... that is roughly $360 per square foot (not including any storage, offices or other space.... field space only, plus a little extra around the boundaries).... that is about what it comes out to.

I'd say high end for what is shown would be $200 per square.

..... just saying that maybe we wouldn't be getting what we were paying for.

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

You think there's some hanky panky going on with the construction bids?

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Don't want to speak for anyone else, but I'm thinking USF will tell you there are more direct and immediate ways to help the football program. Starting a fund toward an on-campus football stadium -- we'll say $200 million on the very low end -- is earmarking money for something that could be literally decades away. Priority now is an indoor practice facility -- they're working to line up support for that, which should run about $14-million.

$14 Million is a lot of money to enclose a football field... even with a few offices and storage tacked on, plus design fees, and all the other stuff, that is a high number.

There was a thread on this within the past month. It is not a cheap bubble type facility. I think Auburn just spent $16 million for something like we want. FSU should have something similar built within a year. I'm not sure how much they are paying for it, but it's probably close to that.

YqN31l.jpg

$14 Million...... that is roughly $360 per square foot (not including any storage, offices or other space.... field space only, plus a little extra around the boundaries).... that is about what it comes out to.

I'd say high end for what is shown would be $200 per square.

..... just saying that maybe we wouldn't be getting what we were paying for.

What about per cubic foot?

Archived