• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SG candidates spar about On Campus Football Stadium

UsfGoose

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

The Greek Village was built in the late 90's. I'm certain that the school is still paying off those construction loans...

In addition, Greek Life tends to have the largest involvement in student government. That guy killed his campaign with his statement.

As a former SG member, I would agree yet disagree.

That guy sounds like the yearly anti-Greek candidate. They sometimes have some good showings in elections but the base they're trying to cater to doesn't care enough to win an election.

True

there is always that anti-frat campaigner.

But the people they would cater to don't care to vote anyways as they see the elections as nothing more than a popularity contest between frats.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

The Greek Village was built in the late 90's. I'm certain that the school is still paying off those construction loans...

In addition, Greek Life tends to have the largest involvement in student government. That guy killed his campaign with his statement.

I'm thinking it's newer than that....I don't remember there even being greek housing on campus at that time.

• Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

I'm thinking it's newer than that....I don't remember there even being greek housing on campus at that time.

I got that from Wikipedia. The page did list other dorms that were built around that time. Maybe the Greek Village was built later in the developments?

• Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

On a side note, they went to a run off.

That Goff kid is running against some girl named Sarah Pollei. I know Goff. I don't know Pollei.

• Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

On the Greek village note I know a Lot of Greeks would love to get rid of Greek village and move to real houses off campus......Greek village is not real Greek housing

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305

Greek Village was built around 2002-2003. I remember my freshman year (2001) there were buildings over there that were small and old but students still lived in them. Some were as small as 2-3 rooms per building. I can't remember what it was called at the moment, but I do remember the captain of the crew team that year lived there (he was dating my best friend at the time). They tore that section of housing down in 2002 if my memory serves me, and Greek Village replaced it to open in 2003 (I may be off by a semester or so). So that section of housing is fairly new, and I wouldn't be surprised if not all the buildings are paid off yet, so the idea that they would come down doesn't sound terribly realistic. Besides, they were built with the mindset that if the Greek organizations couldn't make good on filling the houses, Residential Services could place non-Greek students in them and they would become just like the rest of on-campus housing.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305

Ahhh.... it was the Village Apartments that Greek housing replaced. I thought so, but I was afraid the phrase "Greek Village" was confusing my memory. Ah, the Village. With its A/C units hanging out of each little room... yeah definitely not central A/C. A great half-camping-style grouping of little apartments in a forest of trees. USF certainly has changed in the short 12 years since I first stepped on its campus. I never could imagine that someday I'll be like one of those fellas that I showed around my dorm who came back with their kids because they wanted to show their kids the dorm they lived in 30 years ago... Theta represent!!

Here's an article I found from Google... crazy... I know all the people quoted in it.... makes me feel a tad old, haha....

http://www.sptimes.c...er_in_USF.shtml

• Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Ahhh.... it was the Village Apartments that Greek housing replaced. I thought so, but I was afraid the phrase "Greek Village" was confusing my memory. Ah, the Village. With its A/C units hanging out of each

little room... yeah definitely not central A/C. A great half-camping-style grouping of little apartments in a forest of trees. USF certainly has changed in the short 12 years since I first stepped on its campus. I never could imagine that someday I'll be like one of those

fellas that I showed around my dorm who came back with their kids because they wanted to show their kids the dorm they lived in 30 years ago... Theta represent!!

Here's an article I found from Google... crazy... I know all the people quoted in it.... makes me feel a tad old, haha....

you are not that old! I'm not sure which faza you are but we went to middle school together. Remember the twins?

• 4 weeks later...

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Construction on the "Greek Village" began around 1998 and was compeletd in the early 2000's.

Everyone should note that the current "Greek Village" is only "Phase #1", the University agreed to get the process started to build up USF's Greek community. The current apartment buildings are built very cheap so when phase #2 rolls around they could be completly torn down, or modified greatly into entirely new buildings. The current buildings were never intended to last for more then 10-20 years.

At least this is what my sources in Student Affairs just told me. Also according to my sources most of the loans have been paid off for the Greek Village. USF fronted the money to build the Greek Village and each Frat or Sorority had to pay the University back for the construction costs. I don't have the total costs, but was told that the price per Greek building was cheaper then a 3/2 house.

The only thing holding up the second phase is that the Frats/Sororities have yet to raise enough money to pay for the demolition of their current building, and the construction of a new one. Could not tell you how long that would take, or if the current Frat/Sorority leaders are focused on getting phase #2 off-the-ground.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Construction on the "Greek Village" began around 1998 and was compeletd in the early 2000's.

Everyone should note that the current "Greek Village" is only "Phase #1", the University agreed to get the process started to build up USF's Greek community. The current apartment buildings are built very cheap so when phase #2 rolls around they could be completly torn down, or modified greatly into entirely new buildings. The current buildings were never intended to last for more then 10-20 years.

At least this is what my sources in Student Affairs just told me. Also according to my sources most of the loans have been paid off for the Greek Village. USF fronted the money to build the Greek Village and each Frat or Sorority had to pay the University back for the construction costs. I don't have the total costs, but was told that the price per Greek building was cheaper then a 3/2 house.

The only thing holding up the second phase is that the Frats/Sororities have yet to raise enough money to pay for the demolition of their current building, and the construction of a new one. Could not tell you how long that would take, or if the current Frat/Sorority leaders are focused on getting phase #2 off-the-ground.

I hope you're right. I'd love to see something different done with the Greek Village. I know we won't ever have those ivy covered, southern-style mansions like other schools in the South, but something with a little more individualized architectural pop would do wonders for the Village. As it stands now, the Village just looks like glorified residence halls for Greeks.

Archived