• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GRuehls Passes on to a Better Place - Go Bearcats...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Most of you older salts on here new Greg Ruehlmann by his handle Gruehls. He was a prominent lawyer in Cinci that played football in his college days at Northwestern when Smazza was still attending USF during the disco 70's era and Bulliever was only dreaming about a USF message board. Greg, the son of a Cinci mayor when he was younger (hence his love for the Bearcats), had a love for UC Hoops and Football like ET does for USF. Even more than his love for UC, was Greg's love for tormenting Bulls fans on our message board when Cinci would play us (he especially loved to dig into Collin Sherwin). I called Greg multiple times yesterday to make our annual bet over Montgomery Inn ribs with the UC-USF hoops game on the horizon. This morning, Greg's wife called me back with tragic news. Greg passed away on December 26th. Greg and I always engaged in some spirited phone conversation the week of the UC-USF game (whether in football or hoops) as well as Opening Day for baseball, and he always made sure he came on here to dish out some good spirited barbs to the rest of Bulls nation. Greg will be missed by many, especially me.

Greg and I first met in Cinci during the CUSA tourney (he delivered pastries one morning to 10 very hung over members of GreenbergOpolis unexpectedly). For those that recall, we were flown up to Cinci by the USF Athletic Foundation and some generous donors in 2001 - thanks again Vicki Mitchell. The pastries were a sign of good will on his part - and the first time I met a non-Bulls poster on here that engaged in lively smack talk. I posted about my encounter with Gruehls and the rest of the Cinci trip, unfortunately, the board lost those posts a couple years later (they made for some great stories).

Greg and I kept in contact throughout the years after our initial meeting at the CUSA tourney; he gave me Ohio State - UC football tickets and money for the Montgomery Inn in 2002 when I was dating the nurse at Wittenberg (hey, I was a broke college student). We also bet annually on the USF-UC games even though UC owned us; he would never ask me to pay on a losing bet... instead, he would send the ribs to my parents house when he knew I would be in town to be with them (regardless of whether or not USF won - which wasn't often).

Bulls fans, we've lost a poster to a better place... Wish we had a separate section on the board dedicated to those message board posters that have left us without a final message to pass. I'm devastated to say the least...

In the spirit of Gruehls, I leave a message in his name... "Go Bearcats!".

http://communitypres...-lose-arguments-

Gregory A. RUEHLMANN Sr.

| Visit Guest Book

share_icon.gif

RUEHLMANN

Gregory A. Sr., beloved husband of Jean Ruehlmann (nee Ramsey). Beloved son of Eugene Ruehlmann and the late Virginia Ruehlmann. Loving father of Gregory Jr. (Diana), Amanda, Keith, and Jennifer Terry. Beloved brother of Virginia (David) Wiltse, Pete (Kathy) Ruehlmann, Margie (Thomas) Straus, Andrea (****) Cornett, James (Donna) Ruehlmann, Mark Ruehlmann, and Rick (Wendy) Ruehlmann. Dear friend of Adam Ruehlmann and Josh Hogan. Also survived by many nieces and nephews. Passed away Monday, December 26, 2011, at 56 years of age. Visitation at MEYER FUNERAL HOME, 5864 Bridgetown Road, on Friday, December 30, 2011, 10:30 AM until 1:30 PM. Mass following the visitation at St. Teresa of Avila Church, 1175 Overlook Avenue, (near Glenway) 2:00 PM. Memorials may be made to Caring Response Madagascar Foundation, 1193 Balmoral Drive, Cincinnati, OH 45233 or Catholic Residential Services, 100 E 8th Street, #2, Cincinnati, OH 45202. www.bjmeyersons.com

Published in The Cincinnati Enquirer on December 28, 2011

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Man Sheriff that's sad to hear. He was a good guy. May he rest in peace and continue to follow his Bearcats from the skybox.

Brad via BullPhone

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Really sorry to hear about that.

I enjoyed the always good natured repartee with him, over the years.

May he rest in peace.

• Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

I loved his banter and could always be counted on for good-natured smack. He always came back to eat his crow, though, and didn't rub it in too much when the 'Cats got the best of us.

RIP Gruels.. and Go Bearcats.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Very classy poster on these message boards. I'll miss his Bearcat banter.

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Wow. That's too bad. We all have to go eventually, but this was much too soon.

He will be missed. I always enjoyed his posts. :(

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  568
  • Days Won:  1

I enjoyed the frequent back and forth Terry and Greg had over the years. He was probably the first classy Opponent board member who actually knew how to be classy while giving us all we could handle. What a classy Bearcat fan, Board Member, and Person.

He will be missed.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I never really bantered with Gruels but I did watch and I know he was a great friend of the Sheriff. Terry, I'm sorry for your loss of a friend you spoke of the first time you and I met in LV. It really speaks to the larger impact of NCAA athletics and the deep connections, personal and with your alma mater, that are developed. Anyone who wishes to consider athletics as just a game misses out on so much more of what it gives its fans and their school. All fans of athletics and especially college athletics should mourn the loss of a good and respected man like Greg Ruehlmann. Rest in Peace good man!

Archived