• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sun Dome photo update

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

Your hate for social FRATERNITIES (not "frats")

Can you explain something for me? Why do USF fraternities have such an issue with being called frats? I have friends in a few frats at USF that always correct me when I call it that. However, I have friends in frats at FSU, UF, and Alabama (places where Greek is on a whole other level) and they refer to them as Frats or don't correct me when I call it that. I brought up the USF people taking issue to being called frats and theyve just kind of laughed at it. I've heard the "country a..." stuff so don't go there. I just use it as a short cut sometimes.

Like I said, I have plenty of friends in fraternities and sororities at USF, and am really just curious. No hate here.

Edited by SattyBull

• Topic Count:  169
  • Content Count:  1,251

Can you explain something for me? Why do USF fraternities have such an issue with being called frats? I have friends in a few frats at USF that always correct me when I call it that. However, I have friends in frats at FSU, UF, and Alabama (places where Greek is on a whole other level) and they refer to them as Frats or don't correct me when I call it that. I brought up the USF people taking issue to being called frats and theyve just kind of laughed at it. I've heard the "country a..." stuff so don't go there. I just use it as a short cut sometimes.

Like I said, I have plenty of friends in fraternities and sororities at USF, and am really just curious. No hate here.

I was in a fraternity at USF....it never bothered me when people used the word frat.....the word does have a negative connotation attached to it at USF....thats def the view of the fraternities at USF anyway.....also another reason to yell at pledges when they dont use the "proper" term

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I've heard the "country a..." stuff so don't go there.

1:10 Please tell me i'm not the only one that finds this funny.

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Just depends on who you talk to I guess. To me and a lot of people that I know who are Greek, dislike the term "Frat" because of the way its used. Its usually said in a snark, demeaning way. Silly, I know, but are you really that lazy that you cant say 3 more syllables (not you personally, just in general.) I do find it funny you tell me "ive heard the country...so dont go there." Haha really? I wasnt going there to begin with, but glad you put that out there. Also, fraternities up North and on the West Coast generally have members that exemplify the stereotype. Its unfortunate some people let hollywood shape their thoughts and opinions on things they dont know much about.

Hahaha that video is hilarious theman123

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,390

Just depends on who you talk to I guess. To me and a lot of people that I know who are Greek, dislike the term "Frat" because of the way its used. Its usually said in a snark, demeaning way. Silly, I know, but are you really that lazy that you cant say 3 more syllables (not you personally, just in general.) I do find it funny you tell me "ive heard the country...so dont go there." Haha really? I wasnt going there to begin with, but glad you put that out there. Also, fraternities up North and on the West Coast generally have members that exemplify the stereotype. Its unfortunate some people let hollywood shape their thoughts and opinions on things they dont know much about.

Understandable. Like I said, just curious on hearing someone else's view on it. My old roommate said the "would you call a country..." saying all the time so that's ingrained in my memory haha.

Haha its all good. I dont usually correct people or say anything, its not really a big deal.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

1012721218_ThreadDirection_xlarge.jpeg

• Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  3,616

All I'm going to say about FRATERNITIES is that I wish they showed a bigger presence at USF sporting events. Not saying they don't show support, but I wish there was more

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038

All I'm going to say about FRATERNITIES is that I wish they showed a bigger presence at USF sporting events. Not saying they don't show support, but I wish there was more

They do...until after halftime!!!