• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Possible Agreement With WVU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

A couple of interesting notes.

One, I am very excited that in order to resolve this, the Big East voted to kick West Virginia out of the league. West Virginia did not leave, we kicked them out. Sweet!

Second, CUSA and the Mountain West are dissolving to form a new league in 2013. I think that is going to make it more difficult to get any team into the BE in 2012. There is a possibility (I think a strong one) that the teams leaving for the 2013 season won't have to pay any exit fee at all. Kind of hard to pay an exit fee to a league that doesn't exist. They may be able to make the exit fees stand up since it was announced before dissolution was announced. But it puts another kink in the works.

I guess the opposite could be true. Maybe the Big East will offer to help the new league in some way if they can free up a team for 2012. I think the MW is a better bet, since losing a team from CUSA would mean no title game in 2012.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

One, I am very excited that in order to resolve this, the Big East voted to kick West Virginia out of the league. West Virginia did not leave, we kicked them out. Sweet!

Second, CUSA and the Mountain West are dissolving to form a new league in 2013. I think that is going to make it more difficult to get any team into the BE in 2012. There is a possibility (I think a strong one) that the teams leaving for the 2013 season won't have to pay any exit fee at all. Kind of hard to pay an exit fee to a league that doesn't exist. They may be able to make the exit fees stand up since it was announced before dissolution was announced. But it puts another kink in the works.

I guess the opposite could be true. Maybe the Big East will offer to help the new league in some way if they can free up a team for 2012. I think the MW is a better bet, since losing a team from CUSA would mean no title game in 2012.

I found this interesting and entertaining, if they kicked us out ie "YOU'RE FIRED" why are we paying anything?

• Content Count:  21,301
  • Days Won:  10

I want to punch West Virginia in the face. What a scumbag move. Hope someone pays you back in kind.

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

LOL. Yer outta here!!

Don't let the door hitya where the good lord splitya!

Have fun being a tackling dummy for TX and OU. :D

• Content Count:  4,501

I found this interesting and entertaining, if they kicked us out ie "YOU'RE FIRED" why are we paying anything?

Ahhh maybe WV admin isn't to bright ? I dunno - why ya paying ?

• Content Count:  820

Got my answer on getting kicked out.

by getting kicked out of the BE, no other BE school can sue us for lost revenue or any other issues related to our departure. For you not so old timers, remember back when the BE kicked out Temple....same things apply to us

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Got my answer on getting kicked out.

by getting kicked out of the BE, no other BE school can sue us for lost revenue or any other issues related to our departure. For you not so old timers, remember back when the BE kicked out Temple....same things apply to us

Bingo. Now you just need to worry about FSU.

Unfortunately, this may end up resolving the FSU scheduling snafu.

If the BE does not get Boise in for 2012, then the most likely scenario is six of the seven remaining BE schools playing a second game against another BE school. That, unfortunately, would leave one remaining school available to take on FSU, thus letting WVU off the hook for additional damages.

I hope we get Boise for 2012.

• Content Count:  1,204

They got kicked out for violating the bylaws. They have a judgement entered against them by the court in West Virginia.

That is the REAL takeaway. The court in WEST VIRGINIA will issue a judgement against WVU for violating the bylaws. The judgement will also state the bylaws are binding.

WVU has agreed that they violated the bylaws - that is why the damages are in the settlement.

With the court judgement this means that ANY attempt to leave early costs $20M, whether it is a year or two years before the window. It's about the Big East booting you, not paying to leave early. By these becoming court damages, it means Pitt and Cuse are on the hook for $20M each if they decide to leave early. The Big East has a court judgement to point to now.

Kicking WVU does protect the school, but it also protects the conference because WVU was willing to have their state court issue a judgement against them. I would call this a win-win. WVU gets to leave, though they have to pay, and the Big East gets the court judgement they want with hefty fines for anyone that even leaves a month early.

I doubt the Big East will let Pitt and Syracuse out early without the same kind of settlement. And I'm not sure that both schools will decide to sue and risk it, not with a judgement now. But they will have to do something with the court because the precedent is set - in order to leave you must have a court issue a judgement against you.

• Content Count:  260

A couple of interesting notes. One, I am very excited that in order to resolve this, the Big East voted to kick West Virginia out of the league. West Virginia did not leave, we kicked them out. Sweet! Second, CUSA and the Mountain West are dissolving to form a new league in 2013. I think that is going to make it more difficult to get any team into the BE in 2012. There is a possibility (I think a strong one) that the teams leaving for the 2013 season won't have to pay any exit fee at all. Kind of hard to pay an exit fee to a league that doesn't exist. They may be able to make the exit fees stand up since it was announced before dissolution was announced. But it puts another kink in the works. I guess the opposite could be true. Maybe the Big East will offer to help the new league in some way if they can free up a team for 2012. I think the MW is a better bet, since losing a team from CUSA would mean no title game in 2012.

i think the vote-out was a maneuver mainly for posturing - a legal position with SU and Pitt, so that they (Pitt & SU) dont have a legal precedent to cite - the 27 mos. was not "waived", another method to allow the waiver to occur was formulated so that it isnt technically a waiver. Pitt and SU will pay probably 10-12MM each if they want to negotiate out for the 2013 season.

• Content Count:  260

A couple of interesting notes. One, I am very excited that in order to resolve this, the Big East voted to kick West Virginia out of the league. West Virginia did not leave, we kicked them out. Sweet! Second, CUSA and the Mountain West are dissolving to form a new league in 2013. I think that is going to make it more difficult to get any team into the BE in 2012. There is a possibility (I think a strong one) that the teams leaving for the 2013 season won't have to pay any exit fee at all. Kind of hard to pay an exit fee to a league that doesn't exist. They may be able to make the exit fees stand up since it was announced before dissolution was announced. But it puts another kink in the works. I guess the opposite could be true. Maybe the Big East will offer to help the new league in some way if they can free up a team for 2012. I think the MW is a better bet, since losing a team from CUSA would mean no title game in 2012.
They got kicked out for violating the bylaws. They have a judgement entered against them by the court in West Virginia. That is the REAL takeaway. The court in WEST VIRGINIA will issue a judgement against WVU for violating the bylaws. The judgement will also state the bylaws are binding. WVU has agreed that they violated the bylaws - that is why the damages are in the settlement. With the court judgement this means that ANY attempt to leave early costs $20M, whether it is a year or two years before the window. It's about the Big East booting you, not paying to leave early. By these becoming court damages, it means Pitt and Cuse are on the hook for $20M each if they decide to leave early. The Big East has a court judgement to point to now. Kicking WVU does protect the school, but it also protects the conference because WVU was willing to have their state court issue a judgement against them. I would call this a win-win. WVU gets to leave, though they have to pay, and the Big East gets the court judgement they want with hefty fines for anyone that even leaves a month early. I doubt the Big East will let Pitt and Syracuse out early without the same kind of settlement. And I'm not sure that both schools will decide to sue and risk it, not with a judgement now. But they will have to do something with the court because the precedent is set - in order to leave you must have a court issue a judgement against you.

the article contradicts itself - also says the lawsuit is being dismissed,

"The Big East's news release states, "In deciding to terminate West Virginia University's membership, the conference took into account the accusations that WVU asserted against the Big East in the lawsuit that is now being dismissed."

so how can there be a final actual judgement? maybe this refers to the RI case? maybe the WV court will rule the by-laws were enforceable, but again that would merely lead to $$ damages award to the BE, not that they could have forced WVU to remain. i wonder what the exact outcome is/will be. guess we'll know in a few days.

Archived