• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Possible Agreement With WVU

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

BSU "article" that doesn't add anything, but the poll at the bottom of the page is interesting.

http://www.obnug.com/

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

BSU "article" that doesn't add anything, but the poll at the bottom of the page is interesting.

I did not realize this but Duane Nellis is BSU's president. He is a former WVU Provost at Arts & Sciences who was at one time on short list of WVU presidency. He is well respected by the Big East Conference members, and knows alot of them well. This is a plus to get Boise St this year, even though their AD is saying no.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I did not realize this but Duane Nellis is BSU's president.

He is University of Idaho's president.

• Content Count:  260

I am curious as to why the deal specifically identifies syracuse and pitt as the schools to assist with B-XII scheduling if they request - they are both bolting too eventually. why the heck woud the BE want to help either of them with a potential OOC matchup with a BCS school? why not specifically help one of the schools who will actually continue to remain in the BE, give them a chance at better exposure on tv or even host a BXII school at home?
Maybe the language specific to Pitt and Syracuse is in there because Pitt and Syracuse are bolting the correct way--by honoring the 27 months. Kind of like a reward for not being as big of dicks as WVU.
whether they "honor" the 27 months or not remains to be seen. there are a lot of teams coming into the conference in 2013. i will be extremely surprised if pitt & SU are not gone after this year. and why do they deserve a reward for leaving, regardless of the circumstances? the schools who deserve a reward are the ones who will still be BE members in 3 years. why shouldnt USF or Cincy get the chance to play a notable OOC game? maybe even host it?
If I'm the Big East, I tell Pitt and Cuse that they must pay the same amount as WVU even if they want to get out a year early. WVU has basically agreed that the Big East 27 month window if enforceable. Booting them from the conference keeps the window enforceable. The precedent is to pay out $20M to leave early now. The Big XII TV deal is richer than the ACC deal is - and the Big XII schools were willing to help because they needed a 10th member. Marinatto has said he intends to hold Pitt and Cuse. WVU pressed the issue and paid. Pitt and Cuse could do the same, but I'm not sure they are interested in ponying up so much money to buyout early. They could try suing now to open up the door for 2013, but that gives the BE plenty of time to litigate it. There's also less incentive to let Pitt and Cuse go. With WVU we were facing a scheduling issue with them leaving and an impending deadline that could damage the conference scheduling. Something had to give. With new members coming in, we can allow Pitt and Cuse to breach the contract and see if we can get massive damages for them doing so. Remember, WVU was kicked out and paid. They are free and clear. The tight timeline and issues surrounding both conferences next year caused this (actually, Mizzou really forced it). I doubt the BE is as lenient with Pitt and Cuse, especially with Pitt's people being really two-faced.

your own point about scheduling issues negates the argument of pitt & SU having to pay massive damages - there is virtually no damage to the conference by them leaving early, since all of the replacements (and then some) are in place already - you wont have any scheduling holes in 2013, you may actually see some schools having to cancel OOC games to accomodate an expanded BE schedule.

at the end of the day, the personal issues such as two-facedness have no impact on settling a monetary amount in a business situation. that simply will not factor in. if it did, wvu and the BE would still be negotiating, there is a lot of butthurt in the BE offices over wvu bolting early.

i am predicting they will both leave early with settlement around 10MM each. I think as time goes by this year and everyone steps back and assesses the situation, both sides are going to determine having the two lame ducks is a drag on the conference - they'll want to settle up and part ways and everyone start fresh sooner rather than later.

• Content Count:  1,204

your own point about scheduling issues negates the argument of pitt & SU having to pay massive damages - there is virtually no damage to the conference by them leaving early, since all of the replacements (and then some) are in place already - you wont have any scheduling holes in 2013, you may actually see some schools having to cancel OOC games to accomodate an expanded BE schedule.

at the end of the day, the personal issues such as two-facedness have no impact on settling a monetary amount in a business situation. that simply will not factor in. if it did, wvu and the BE would still be negotiating, there is a lot of butthurt in the BE offices over wvu bolting early.

i am predicting they will both leave early with settlement around 10MM each. I think as time goes by this year and everyone steps back and assesses the situation, both sides are going to determine having the two lame ducks is a drag on the conference - they'll want to settle up and part ways and everyone start fresh sooner rather than later.

I predict you're wrong. WVU didn't leave early. They were kicked out and in being booted admitted that the bylaws are enforceable. The only way for Syracuse and Pitt to force the issue if the BE refuses to negotiate is to file a suit in court. But there's danger there.

The Big East position should be this: $20M to get out early. Period. Doesn't matter if you want out two years early or a month early. The cost is $20M and we'll boot you so you and your new league are fully in the clear. Reading the articles, the Big East was awfully close to filing suit against the Big XII. That's when this got done, with the Big XII loaning money and even paying a little bit - depending on which source you read.

This is not about damages. It is about enforcing bylaws. That is no longer an issue with WVU since they were removed by the league. The fact that Pitt and Cuse leaving early will not hurt the league as much is the major reason to actually fight and go for a judgement. Damages are assigned for breach of contract. I'd dare Pitt and Cuse to breach it and take it all the way through if they choose to move early without a settlement. WVU was different because of all the issues floating around.

What reason does the BE have to settle with Pitt and Cuse since they have no need to move on and no timeline to figure out a schedule. With enough teams in the league after next year, they won't have to deal with empty schedule spots should they fail or should the team pick up and move, taking the risk with damages. They give the league $20M each or the league sees if they can stick them to the wall.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I predict you're wrong. WVU didn't leave early. They were kicked out and in being booted admitted that the bylaws are enforceable. The only way for Syracuse and Pitt to force the issue if the BE refuses to negotiate is to file a suit in court. But there's danger there.

The Big East position should be this: $20M to get out early. Period. Doesn't matter if you want out two years early or a month early. The cost is $20M and we'll boot you so you and your new league are fully in the clear. Reading the articles, the Big East was awfully close to filing suit against the Big XII. That's when this got done, with the Big XII loaning money and even paying a little bit - depending on which source you read.

This is not about damages. It is about enforcing bylaws. That is no longer an issue with WVU since they were removed by the league. The fact that Pitt and Cuse leaving early will not hurt the league as much is the major reason to actually fight and go for a judgement. Damages are assigned for breach of contract. I'd dare Pitt and Cuse to breach it and take it all the way through if they choose to move early without a settlement. WVU was different because of all the issues floating around.

What reason does the BE have to settle with Pitt and Cuse since they have no need to move on and no timeline to figure out a schedule. With enough teams in the league after next year, they won't have to deal with empty schedule spots should they fail or should the team pick up and move, taking the risk with damages. They give the league $20M each or the league sees if they can stick them to the wall.

Mac,

You've been wrong about every prediction in his whole process. Wasn't your original stance that the BE wouldn't get raided because we had that solid 27 month rule? It then changed several times and a few weeks ago you were sure the BE wouldn't let WVU go for 2012.

The BE "kicked out" WVU for legal reasons. It prevents future lawsuits in return for $20 Mil. They didn't actually just decide to kick them out

Pitt and Cuse are gone after next year and we all move on. Quit fighting with the WVU fans and they'll go away.

• Content Count:  4,501

I am curious as to why the deal specifically identifies syracuse and pitt as the schools to assist with B-XII scheduling if they request - they are both bolting too eventually. why the heck woud the BE want to help either of them with a potential OOC matchup with a BCS school? why not specifically help one of the schools who will actually continue to remain in the BE, give them a chance at better exposure on tv or even host a BXII school at home?
Maybe the language specific to Pitt and Syracuse is in there because Pitt and Syracuse are bolting the correct way--by honoring the 27 months. Kind of like a reward for not being as big of dicks as WVU.
whether they "honor" the 27 months or not remains to be seen. there are a lot of teams coming into the conference in 2013. i will be extremely surprised if pitt & SU are not gone after this year. and why do they deserve a reward for leaving, regardless of the circumstances? the schools who deserve a reward are the ones who will still be BE members in 3 years. why shouldnt USF or Cincy get the chance to play a notable OOC game? maybe even host it?
If I'm the Big East, I tell Pitt and Cuse that they must pay the same amount as WVU even if they want to get out a year early. WVU has basically agreed that the Big East 27 month window if enforceable. Booting them from the conference keeps the window enforceable. The precedent is to pay out $20M to leave early now. The Big XII TV deal is richer than the ACC deal is - and the Big XII schools were willing to help because they needed a 10th member. Marinatto has said he intends to hold Pitt and Cuse. WVU pressed the issue and paid. Pitt and Cuse could do the same, but I'm not sure they are interested in ponying up so much money to buyout early. They could try suing now to open up the door for 2013, but that gives the BE plenty of time to litigate it. There's also less incentive to let Pitt and Cuse go. With WVU we were facing a scheduling issue with them leaving and an impending deadline that could damage the conference scheduling. Something had to give. With new members coming in, we can allow Pitt and Cuse to breach the contract and see if we can get massive damages for them doing so. Remember, WVU was kicked out and paid. They are free and clear. The tight timeline and issues surrounding both conferences next year caused this (actually, Mizzou really forced it). I doubt the BE is as lenient with Pitt and Cuse, especially with Pitt's people being really two-faced.

Ever heard of a "women being scorned" ?

Archived