• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

For those who think Skip is waiting on his QB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The thread was not about BJ being a good quarterback. Just sufficient for what holtz wants to do. He's at worst the #4 qb in the league. We're the #7 team in the same "awful/garbage" league. Apparently the staff needs andrew luck or Tim tebow to get in the upper half.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

The thread was not about BJ being a good quarterback. Just sufficient for what holtz wants to do. He's at worst the #4 qb in the league. We're the #7 team in the same "awful/garbage" league. Apparently the staff needs andrew luck or Tim tebow to get in the upper half.

Im sure Andrew Luck and Tim Tebow would be on the bench if skip holtz had them....

A lot of talent goes over his head...

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Minus a game or two, I think BJ has played very well this year, especially compared to last year. He's never going to be a Vick or a Luck, but he's been doing what he can. Could he be more accurate on his deep passes? Of course. Mistakes are going to happen, no QB finishes the season without throwing a few picks (even Luck does it). I think the playcalling has been suspect on many occasions, as most of us have pointed out before, and the decisions to not rely on the actual running game we have this year at certain times has definitely been questionable.

To me, the defense has been our deal breaker this year. I hate playing the "what-if" game, but going back and looking at some of the defensive meltdowns and bad breaks we've had, you could definitely say we could have likely pulled out the Cincinnati game. Bonani makes that chip shot and we win the Rutgers game. Say we don't make the plays at Notre Dame and they win that one. I'd definitely swap an OOC loss for two conference wins. The Pitt game I leave as is, short week Thursday night on the road in the conference opener with "supposedly" a somewhat ill team, and we just had a bad night. Offensively and defensively, say we pulled out the UConn game. I'd gladly trade the Notre Dame win (which isn't going to win us many recruiting battles, and doesn't do much other than the wow factor), for three conference losses. Even if we lose a shootout with Louisville, we'd be 7-4 right now and 4-2 in conference with a shot at winning it possibly.

But...if's and but's....this is the opposite of last year. We squeaked out some close ones last year against UL and Rutgers and Miami, this year we were on the other side of those, and that's where we are.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

another reason stats are for losers (in college football, particularly with USF players due to our joke of a schedule):

BJ against garbage teams ( FAMU , UTEP , Ball State )

7 TDs, 1 INT

Passer rating: 165.6

Avg # of passing yards per game: 297.6 (without playing the entire games...)

BJ against Big East

4 TDs, 4 INT

Passer Rating: 116.1

Avg # of passing yards per game: 242

including miami/notre dame

5 TDs, 5 INT

lower rating by ~1-2 points

again i dont think this matter but for comparison purposes:

Pinkney against conference

11 TDs, 6 INT

Passer Rating: 139.2

the dude played in conference usa. he played the equivalent of UTEP every game.

Holtz is not some offensive guru like some of you think.

his team in 2009 put up 26.7 points and 370 yards per game. this was in a conference that doesn't believe in defense.

this year we are putting up 29.5 and 436. talk cupcake all you want but one of our cupcakes this year was a c-usa team.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Yet another thinly veiled attempt to praise BJ.

Broken record.

Pinkney and ECU didnt get the luxury of padding their stats against the likes of 3 garbage teams...

instead they played way over their head against UNC, WVU, VT, Arkansas

funny they lost every single one of those games.

you fail to mention games against defensive juggernauts UAB, Memphis,Houston, Tulsa, SMU, Rice, Marshall

exactly. I don't think Daniels is tim tebow. I'm just tired of the excuses for Holtz. many claim he doesn't have his QB to run his System, fact is his system sucked in c-usa. it's not like he had a top 20 offense there either and his conference was garbage.

Pinkney and ECU didnt get the luxury of padding their stats against the likes of 3 garbage teams...

funny how you list one of our conference games as a tough OOC game for him and then consider one of their conference teams UTEP as a garbage team for us.

Holtz was 9-5 both years he won c-usa. we had the same number of losses(5) last year.

while i thought last year was a decent starting point I certainly wouldn't consider it a pinnacle which it was for him at ecu.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

While at ECU they faced weak conference opponents you have to remember that they themselves were a weak team. Using mediocre players to beat mediocre teams is an accomplishment.

USF has above average players and in conference plays above average teams.

I'd say comparing ECU vs conference opponents is a fair comparison to comparing USF to conference opponents.

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

funny they lost every single one of those games.

You continue to be completely misinformed. They in fact beat VT and WVU in back to back weeks.

Archived