• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz is our

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Exactly my point. Leavitt did more with less. Holtz inherited a lot of talent, but has not figure out how to consistently win.

Holtz inherited talent? Holtz inherited exactly ONE scholarship quarterback and two decent scholarship WRs, and Moise Planchar at RB.

You clearly have a much different definition of talent than I do.

2 weeks prior to beginning of nfl season 10 kids were with nfl squads from last year. I think at least 6 are still there. I define that as talent and look how we did last year.

Leavitt recruited at least a team who could get 8 wins. This team may not get 6. There is talent, just not getting the most of it.

Really, though it is on coaching. Stats show we should have won most of those losses. Yet we lose, in the final minutes. That is coaching. That is play calling. That is a soft D (because of the coaches).

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We sent 10 kids to the NFL last year,

Okay bossman. Thanks for answering the question, "Why are we struggling?"

We strugled last year too, just more this year. That was my point, we under deliver based on the talent we have.

You mean the season where a good portion of our offense was on crutches late?

I guess that makes us USiF? Look at Leavitt's injuries year after year, and he still out performed what we are doing now. That is just an Excuse..... Please....

Okay, so we're on the same page. We've always been this type of team, and Skip has been par or the course thus far.

which when you make a new hire you expect better results. that's why we pay him more and give him more for assistants. are you suggesting that we will never be able to compete in the BE with any coach? we should just accept mediocre at best results?

We paid him a little more tha Leavitt, and he was brought in cause our old coach was fired for results off the field.

I'm not saying we have to accept mediocrity. I'm saying we need to give it more time. Holtz didn't step into a situation where he inherited a 9-3/10-2 team and has them fighting for bowl eligibility. He got a team that was 8-5 and should he win out, could be status quo. Lose one and the results aren't all that different.

We have to give it time.

Leavitt went 8-5 with a red shirt freshman QB. we would have been much better that year with Grothe as a senior if it weren't for the injury.

Holtz is doing worse with that same QB as a red shirt junior.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

when you hire anew coach and pay him more you expect better results.

do you think we should just accept the same results?

We are paying Holtz less than we were paying Leavitt, the extra money went to the assistant coaches pool.

we are paying Holtz $1.8M this year. more than leavitt ever made in a year.

If Leavitt were still the coach, he would be making more money this year than Holtz is. Most people get a raise every year. Leavitt's last year was two years ago.

you said we are paying holtz less than we were paying leavitt. it's not true.

Congratulations. I'm completely wrong.

Holtz was hired at a lower salary and escalators than Leavitt had under his contract.

Is that better?

actually you're wrong. here it is according to espn.

South Florida will pay Skip Holtz slightly more than what Jim Leavitt was making, and the former East Carolina coach is now the second-highest paid coach in the Big East.

Holtz's deal will pay him $9.1 million over five years, with his salary increasing from $1.7 million the next two years to $2 million by the final year of the deal. Leavitt's salary this past season was $1.6 million, and he had a seven-year contract worth $12.6 million total.

The Bulls have added some protection in the contract, as Holtz would owe the school a $1 million buyout should he leave for another job or opportunity before Dec. 8, 2011. That buyout then decreases to $500,000 the following year and to $300,000 after Dec. 9, 2012.

He has been allowed a pool of $1.55 million to pay assistants, which is about a $100,000 more than what Leavitt had to work with.

South Florida hopes to be paying one clause of Holtz's contract: his $100,000 bonus for winning a Big East title.

Holtz will have his official introductory press conference today at noon in Tampa.

http://espn.go.com/b...holtzs-contract

No, you're wrong. What was Leavitt scheduled to be paid in 2010? Look it up. Not less than Holtz got.

• Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

Give him at least 1 more year and then judge. Seriously, give the guy a chance to get more of his kids. Andre Davis is one of his kids and look at the promise he's showing. We could have a better record, and we should be at least 6-4 not Holtz' fault at rutgers. Miami kicker did his job. No one on this board knows more about the kids on this team than Holtz does.

Take off the green goggles, what we 'should' be is not what we are. A field goal shouldn't have determined our game. He has no manhood, no confidence in the players he has now, what makes you think when he has 'more of his players' that he will grow a pair. AND usually when you "know about the kids" you trust them, not lay down on 3 different short yardage 4th down plays, and one 4th and 3...... we're 13-10 under holtz...about to be 13-12, thats barely .500 football....

Exactly my point. Leavitt did more with less. Holtz inherited a lot of talent, but has not figure out how to consistently win.

Holtz inherited talent? Holtz inherited exactly ONE scholarship quarterback and two decent scholarship WRs, and Moise Planchar at RB.

You clearly have a much different definition of talent than I do.

2 weeks prior to beginning of nfl season 10 kids were with nfl squads from last year. I think at least 6 are still there. I define that as talent and look how we did last year.

Leavitt recruited at least a team who could get 8 wins. This team may not get 6. There is talent, just not getting the most of it.

Really, though it is on coaching. Stats show we should have won most of those losses. Yet we lose, in the final minutes. That is coaching. That is play calling. That is a soft D (because of the coaches).

If you define talent as NFL talent (which isn't the best way to define college talent), then tell me how many Miami players have "NFL talent".

More than USF does.

Give him at least 1 more year and then judge. Seriously, give the guy a chance to get more of his kids. Andre Davis is one of his kids and look at the promise he's showing. We could have a better record, and we should be at least 6-4 not Holtz' fault at rutgers. Miami kicker did his job. No one on this board knows more about the kids on this team than Holtz does.

Take off the green goggles, what we 'should' be is not what we are. A field goal shouldn't have determined our game. He has no manhood, no confidence in the players he has now, what makes you think when he has 'more of his players' that he will grow a pair. AND usually when you "know about the kids" you trust them, not lay down on 3 different short yardage 4th down plays, and one 4th and 3...... we're 13-10 under holtz...about to be 13-12, thats barely .500 football....

Yep. Losing to a team that has far superior talent by three points is terrible coaching.

Please.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

We strugled last year too, just more this year. That was my point, we under deliver based on the talent we have.

I guess that makes us USiF? Look at Leavitt's injuries year after year, and he still out performed what we are doing now. That is just an Excuse..... Please....

Okay, so we're on the same page. We've always been this type of team, and Skip has been par or the course thus far.

which when you make a new hire you expect better results. that's why we pay him more and give him more for assistants. are you suggesting that we will never be able to compete in the BE with any coach? we should just accept mediocre at best results?

We paid him a little more tha Leavitt, and he was brought in cause our old coach was fired for results off the field.

I'm not saying we have to accept mediocrity. I'm saying we need to give it more time. Holtz didn't step into a situation where he inherited a 9-3/10-2 team and has them fighting for bowl eligibility. He got a team that was 8-5 and should he win out, could be status quo. Lose one and the results aren't all that different.

We have to give it time.

Leavitt went 8-5 with a red shirt freshman QB. we would have been much better that year with Grothe as a senior if it weren't for the injury.

Leavitt went 8-5 with Grothe as a junior...this argument is as stupid as suggesting we should can Holtz.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Who the F are you to discuss someone's manhood? What qualifies you to say that? We couldn't get 1 yard on 3rd what makes you think that we could get 1 on 4th? Since you apparently KNOW that we're about to be 13-12 can you please tell me the flippin lottery numbers for Wednesday? Just to be perfectly clear, who are you to question someone's manhood? I'm sick and tired of reading that. Would you say that to his face?

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We have to give it time.

Leavitt went 8-5 with Grothe as a junior...this argument is as stupid as suggesting we should can Holtz.

again I didn't ever say we should fire him. I'm only saying I don't believe he is the answer to get us to the next level. 1-4 in this conference with the talent we have is a joke. I'm not saying we have the talent to beat ohio state or oklahoma. I'm saying we have more than enough talent to compete in this conference.

virtually every coach in this league has been at their school for as long as holtz has been at USF. charlie strong took over an absolute disaster at Uofl the same year Holtz came here and they are 4-2 in the conference.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I agree things haven't gone well, but it's not like we've been getting out **** kicked. Give it a year or two if it doesn't improve then things have to change.

Archived