• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If Big East gets act together, big TV deal still in reach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

I may have missed it but what are you guys talking about - 1st tier and 2nd tier ?

This may help you!

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/05/05/televison-contract-breakdown/

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

big east will not get more money than any other bcs conference

has nd been thrown out yet?

why is their name still affiliated with big east

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Probably not but close to ACC money with fewer teams to split it up with.

No ND has been an outstanding partner for the BE - no reason to even imagine "throwing them out"

see above answer they are in the BE.

• Content Count:  325

Should go to 16 teams if possible or at least 14 to make a better west

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'll remain cautiously optimistic. If the Big East is able to land around the ball park of the ACC give or take a few million per school, it'll be a huge accomplishment.

• Content Count:  1,204

I'll remain cautiously optimistic. If the Big East is able to land around the ball park of the ACC give or take a few million per school, it'll be a huge accomplishment.

We'll do better than the ACC.

The ACC was stupid. They put all their eggs in the ESPN basket and will end up being the only conference to go with one network.

The Big East has a very minor second tier deal with ESPN that expires the year after our first tier rights do. Look for the Big East to expand their second tier lineup and not give all rights to one network.

I also expect we may split up our basketball and football deals just like the Big Ten does. CBS carries Big Ten basketball. And Fox, NBC, and CBS are also looking to beef up their basketball offerings for their sports stations when football is off the air.

We'll get at least $18M a year - and I think that when you couple first tier, second tier, basketball, and the creation of a Big East network all together that it will be $20M or more per school per year.

With Pitt and Cuse being added, the ACC is down to $11M per school per year. But they have become ESPN's lapdog and ESPN is about to be knocked off its college football perch. My bet is that they'll lose the BCS contract after 2013 and will be left with only the ACC as an exclusive. All the other conferences will have games on their competition. But ESPN made its own bed. They grew the college football market and flooded it with cash - but the conferences are getting greedier and ABC/ESPN can't afford to pay everybody. So now Fox, NBC, and CBS want pieces of the action on network and on cable.

ESPN's days as the dominate and controlling force in college football are nearing an end. That's why they reacted so badly when the BE rejected their offer. Disney won't let them spend whatever they want while Comcast, Viacom, and Fox are willing to spend more money right now.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

The ACC was stupid. They put all their eggs in the ESPN basket and will end up being the only conference to go with one network.

The Big East has a very minor second tier deal with ESPN that expires the year after our first tier rights do. Look for the Big East to expand their second tier lineup and not give all rights to one network.

I also expect we may split up our basketball and football deals just like the Big Ten does. CBS carries Big Ten basketball. And Fox, NBC, and CBS are also looking to beef up their basketball offerings for their sports stations when football is off the air.

We'll get at least $18M a year - and I think that when you couple first tier, second tier, basketball, and the creation of a Big East network all together that it will be $20M or more per school per year.

With Pitt and Cuse being added, the ACC is down to $11M per school per year. But they have become ESPN's lapdog and ESPN is about to be knocked off its college football perch. My bet is that they'll lose the BCS contract after 2013 and will be left with only the ACC as an exclusive. All the other conferences will have games on their competition. But ESPN made its own bed. They grew the college football market and flooded it with cash - but the conferences are getting greedier and ABC/ESPN can't afford to pay everybody. So now Fox, NBC, and CBS want pieces of the action on network and on cable.

ESPN's days as the dominate and controlling force in college football are nearing an end. That's why they reacted so badly when the BE rejected their offer. Disney won't let them spend whatever they want while Comcast, Viacom, and Fox are willing to spend more money right now.

I agree. I don't think people realize how much the majors want to get into college sports programming.

Fox and CBS own the NFL. NBC has sunday night games. ESPN was always the fringe sports broadcaster. they picked up stuff the majors didn't want.that's how they started.

live sports advertising is exploding. it's tivo proof. people watch sports live more than any other programming and it's not even close. College football has grown to be one of the most popular sports in the U.S.

they need the live sports programming especially if they are going to expand their channel offerings. they will push ESPN aside just like they have in any other sports programming they have wanted.

• Content Count:  4,642

we're in please-don't-let-us-drown mode. i doubt anyone will overbid for us.

• Content Count:  820

ND is the BE's meal ticket to NBC. This is where the TV money is going to be the greatest. Keeping ND as an independent in football, adding BE games in Tier 1 & 2 and then having basketball.

NBC is going to SHELL out for this lineup only, otherwise TV contract will be small.

ESPN is not happy with BE administration, if UConn and UL happens to leave it will make matters worse.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The ACC is reworking their deal.

Archived