• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Once again, the unsung heroes

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

In between our praise of B.J. Daniels efficiency and Jerrell Young's playmaking, we have a huge group we are not crediting today.

Our offensive line.

There might have been two or three times during the game where B.J. faced serious pressure. He was only sacked once.

This, against a vaunted ND line that was supposed to rip our reconstructed line to shreds.

It didn't happen. B.J. wasn't running for his life. In fact, most of the time he was moving forward.

Yeah, we didn't exactly run over the ND front seven. But they were most certainly not prepared for the physicality, the preparedness that the USF o-line had waiting for them when we dropped back to pass.

There was only one penalty all night.

We won because of them today as much as we won because of our skill players.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Coach Shank is a helluva coach!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

Agree ... and ND's #5 was barely mentioned.

Our O-Line played very well against a Very Good Front 7

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

And I think we need to mention Bonani ... that early 49 Yard FG was awesome to keeping our momentum of adding points. Skip has confidence in him.

WFVGAOXCWRORWIM.20110903235612.jpg

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

The o line definitely held up better than I expected, particularly the right side.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Content Count:  6,960
  • Days Won:  12

Agreed, congrats to this o line.

Our d line did pretty well. Not FSU well, but I saw good things.

• Content Count:  21,309
  • Days Won:  10

And I think we need to mention Bonani ... that early 49 Yard FG was awesome to keeping our momentum of adding points. Skip has confidence in him.

He had the distance on the 52 yard but just was off to the side.  Very impressive leg. 

Our O-line did well, better than I thought, but we could not really run the ball that well.  They did a good job at closing that down.  If B.J had not gotten hurt having him as the wild card really would have kept them in check.  His running was causing them all kinds of problems. 

• Content Count:  3,114

He had the distance on the 52 yard but just was off to the side.  Very impressive leg.   

Our O-line did well, better than I thought, but we could not really run the ball that well.   They did a good job at closing that down.  If B.J had not gotten hurt having him as the wild card really would have kept them in check.  His running was causing them all kinds of problems. 

No question on that...and I'm fairly sure that when we roll into Pitt in a few weeks he'll be fully rested and his hamstring should be in good shape.

Next week against Balll State should be fairly competitive, so we may not get a sizable lead till the third quarter. But the two games after that will be pretty easy, so we can afford to rest B.J. as much as we need to after next weekend.

• Content Count:  10,369

Agreed, congrats to this o line.

Our d line did pretty well. Not FSU well, but I saw good things.

Good to hear on the D-line side... I really didn't see much out of them.  Only a handful of times do I recall us getting any pressure - though often we rushed only 3.  They seemed to do a decent job against the run, but the score kind of forced ND into obvious passing situations by the second half.

• Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Good call here...O-line looked pretty good, all things considered.  I wish we could have made some bigger holes, but against lesser teams and with more experience that should start to happen.  Kudos also to Bonani...what a leg on that kid!  He was definitely missed last year.

Excited for this season!!

Archived