• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Andrea Adelson is new ESPN Big East blogger

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

She did herself no favors by her first post being the Big East leader is in over his head

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  1

Don't drink the Gatorade folks that Greg is selling... Look what happened to the followers of Jim Jones.

The irony in Greg's statement is laughable: "Guys, I can't say how inconsequential it is in my industry where a writer went to school vs. where they cover a team". Tell me Greg, how did that work out for the UF graduate covering Arkansas? Just so you know, Bobby Petrino got major props from me that day...

Adelson may be talented, but she has no passion for the Big East gig (she's a UF homer as clearly demonstrated in her article after we beat FSU). Like Brian Bennett, she'll be shopping her way to a "better" gig in no time (have fun covering Ohio State while they're enjoying a long probation Brian). You know she truly wants the SEC gig (they are king right now).

That's fine though... I'll keep it simple. USF is on the cusp of greatness. I will enjoy watching another Gator loathe internally over covering USF (que Greg) as USF continues to wreck havoc on a crippled Gator nation (no Urban - uh oh). Deep down, Gators don't want us to succeed (think Braveheart and the English holding the Scottish down). It does not benefit a UF alum for USF to have more relevancy in the

sports world.

I'm pretty certain that a UF course is given to all graduating seniors with the one premise: "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

The Sheriff is here to keep it real for USF graduates...

Get a life

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

She did herself no favors by her first post being the Big East leader is in over his head

I don't think she is that far off base with that.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

AA is a great writer and VERY personable. I like the choice.

And school affiliation? Seriously. Greg is great. He's a Gator. In fact UF has produced a crapload of great CFB writers. Andy Staples is one that comes to mind.

Whatever, I've read Andrea for a few years (she was at my hometown Sentinel). She's good. Go Bulls.

Guest nybullsfan

Somebody once said not to pick fights with anyone who buys ink by the barrel and paper by the ton, but I'll put my money on the scrappy little pit bull every time, LOL

• Content Count:  640
  • Days Won:  0

She never uses contractions. That weirds me out.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

If I recall correctly, I don't think you are "allowed" to use contactions in "proper" English.  Correct me if I am wrong.

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  0

If I recall correctly, I don't think you are "allowed" to use contactions in "proper" English.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Not improper, just frowned upon in formal writing.  Considering the likely audience of the prestigious ESPN Big East blog it would probably be okay.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Not improper, just frowned upon in formal writing.  Considering the likely audience of the prestigious ESPN Big East blog it would probably be okay.

I'm actually in Professional Writing for the summer and we just discussed this.  It depends on your audience and type of writing you are doing.  If it were a formal paper or report, you shouldn't use contractions. Considering this is a sports blog, I'd say contractions are fine.  (Maybe the UF Journalim/English department are just grammar nazis).

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Anyone else find it irritating that Greg is fighting for this woman? GTFO, I don't remember you around here when McMurphy was getting destroyed.

I've been reading her blog items and haven't been very impressed. I think I know more about the BE than she does. Granted, I've been vested in the conference longer than she has. But, I'm not doing it for my job either.

FWIW, school affiliation has no bearing on my current dislike of her. Greg is a great writer and he went to the school. It's the fact that a google search of her name with "UCF", "UF", or "USF" attached will return wildly different types of content (I especially like her snippet about USF beating the almighty UF in baseball for portion of some game she was covering). If it's a function of her OS and non-AQ blog slants, then great. Alas, someone who has been biased to my school in the past is going to receive bias from me until she proves herself capable of separating that previous bias with her new audience.  She hasn't been biased thus far, just inept at knowing the conference...

Archived