• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AD leaving?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

@GaUSFBull no nonsense my friend.

Really?  We should dominate football as we are #4 behind traditional powers FSU, UF and Miami, and have only been in the AQ BE for 6 seasons?  Sounds like you expect a lot.

We play in an A.Q conference and its the Big East. Easiest A.Q conference to win out there.  Florida, Florida State and Miami fall backs should be able to win this league. The problem is USF fans expect nothing, so anything is perfectly ok. You can think that way, but I won't. Cincinnati won the Big East, Connecticut won the big east. So your telling me we should not expect to win the Big East, yet we have more talent then both of those teams combined?

We play in the toughest BB conference in the country.  The 9th place team in the conference was national champions.  I agree that it needs to get better, but as others on this site have said on this topic, Heath should get a shot at recruiting with the new facilities that are being built.  If things don't improve after this year, he's probably gone.  But you should still temper your expectations a bit. 

What happened when we finished 9th in the Big East? We looked like a fool in the Big East tournament and then looked even more fake when we lose to N.C State in the first round of the N.I.T at home. A game where our fan base decided not show up for, wait that is every basketball game, I must have gotten confused. I'm not tempering my expectations, this is guy obviously not working out at all so far. Though I will agree that the team should do better this season as most of the team returns. For him to stay we need

1. Much more solid recruiting class

2. Winning record

One of the two will not  be good enough to stay. We can't win 5 games in conference a year...but we should temper our expectations. I think they have already tempered for us my friend.

What's the third program?  I agree with you on the two you have mentioned, and agree with your ultimatum - but I feel that if Men's BB and baseball have bad seasons, Doug will take the appropriate action.  We just need to calm down and let things play out as they will.  There's a reasons that almost on here is or will be an AD.   :)

Being and A.D is pretty simple. The main goal is to please the fans. I don't know about you, but even the students laugh our athletic program and fans are far less then satisfied. So yea, hopefully that appropriate action you speak of is taken.

Woops messed up the format. But time to head out so no time to fix it...

wow a USF fan without green and gold goggles, knows his stuff and calls it straight.  very rare around these parts.  welcome to the board!

It seems here if you are critical to the program, AT ALL, you are not a true fan, which in the real world thats exactly what makes you a true fan. 

like smazza said, if you want to add those "other" sports besides baseball, football and basketball, where are the championships? 

not impressed with crap bowls and exiting the NIT in the 1st round the one year we actually make any tourney.  BYW no i wasnt kidding in my original post. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I guess patience is a virtue not all of us have.  Football is coming along just fine, and I agree we are on the brink of needing action taken in MBB and baseball.  But some of you are turning into WVU-style fans.  I'm trying to avoid that, and if that makes me one of those "green and gold goggle-wearing fans," I guess that's what I am. 

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

There's a difference between being critical of the department and being unrealistic.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I'll live by the old adage "If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything" because I have nothing nice or positive to say about DW.  fuhbull11 is more correct than most of you and even he gives up some love?  :o 

You smooching sunshine blowers will need to brush your teeth and gargle a bit.  And that's all I have to say about that.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I am shocked to learn there are people who don't think Doug Woolard has done a very good job.

I mean, with nonsense like "we're in Florida therefore we should dominate" apparently at the center of the thinking, I'm still not convinced the mindset has any merit. But I'm shocked to learn the mindset exists nonetheless.

• Content Count:  168
  • Days Won:  0

I would give him a 60%.

Football is doing fine. There is a lot of talent in Florida but, there a lot of big name schools that recruit here. It's nice to see young high school kids at the gym with USF gear on. That wasn't the case 5 years ago. It takes time to build a name, and we are getting there.

Basketball is different. We live in TAMPA home of the Rays, Lightning, and Bucs. All three have built teams from nothing by starting with young talent and building from there. USF basketball recruits like they are the Yankees are the Red socks. Unfortunately we don't have the money to buy the experienced players each year the way they do. We get old 3 stars, and by the time they start to get up to speed they are gone. That needs to change.

I don't know whats wrong with baseball because this coaching team did pretty well at UTampa and Louisville. My sons played golf at NC State, LSU and Ole Miss and they tell me that facilities really makes a difference. You would not beleive the baseball facilities at LSU and Ole Miss. Having the upgrades should start to show improvements. If not then we should talk.

• Content Count:  168
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know why but I could not finish my post.

The one sport I don't understand is golf. Tampa has had the best junior program in the nation for at least 25 years. There have been more PGA professionals from the Greater Tampa Golf Association than any other program in the country.

A couple of years ago we had anual match play tournaments at USF. One year we had the #1 golfer in the US who played at Chamberlain, the #5 player from Orlando, 2 players who got scholarships at LSU one who went to UF, 2 that played at GT, 3 at West Florida, one that made the PGA tour while in high school another that went right on the PGA tour out of high school. 6 of the players played on college teams that won the national championship. Three asked to play for USF. One that WON the collegiate National Championship, and Jim Fee would not even talk to any of them!!

Look at our record. It is terrible! We finally replaced him this year but instead of getting fired, he got a raise! Got to wonder what it takes to get fired. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

I'll live by the old adage "If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything" because I have nothing nice or positive to say about DW.  fuhbull11 is more correct than most of you and even he gives up some love?  :o 

You smooching sunshine blowers will need to brush your teeth and gargle a bit.  And that's all I have to say about that.

So he is doing a horrible job in your opinion?  Do you know how badly he wants a good basketball program?  BB is Doug's true love in sports.  Heath had a decent resume coming in.  Like I said in a post on another topic, hindsight is always 20-20.  I mean, even McCollum looked good with what he did prior to coming to USF.  The two appearances in NCAA tourney in the history of a school aren't compelling arguments to convince a kid to come to USF and play in front of 2,000 people every night.

This "we're in FL" argument is nothing but a bunch of crap as it relates to BB.  UF had a couple of great years, but FL BB is nothing compared to the inner cities of the Northeast.

So you don't like the hire of Holtz?  What, Vince Lombardi wasn't available?

Lelo had nice records at UT and UL.  Going after him, at the time, probably looked like a nice get.  Has it worked out?  Not so much.  But how do you fault the AD?

He has overseen the huge improvements on campus.  And they are significant improvements.  We don't yet know how it will relate to on the field performance, but it would be nice to give Lelo and Heath some time to see how it works out.  I don't see how much better he could have done for the relatively short time he's been here.  He'll fire guys when the time comes.  Your idea of when that time is and his might be a bit different. 

And just for argument sakes, what coaches in baseball, BB and football would you have brought in at the same salaries?

I usually start these threads and then just sit back and read, but I had to chime in again on this one.

• Content Count:  2,433

Woolard has done a great job as USF AD.

He hired a great football coach in Skip Holtz.

We have new Baseball, Softball, and Soccer stadiums now.

The Sun Dome is getting renovated.

The Soccer team is one of the best in the nation.

He represents the University very well and listens to A LOT of fan feedback.

• Content Count:  4,259

So he is doing a horrible job in your opinion?  Do you know how badly he wants a good basketball program?  BB is Doug's true love in sports.  Heath had a decent resume coming in.  Like I said in a post on another topic, hindsight is always 20-20.  I mean, even McCollum looked good with what he did prior to coming to USF.   The two appearances in NCAA tourney in the history of a school aren't compelling arguments to convince a kid to come to USF and play in front of 2,000 people every night.

This "we're in FL" argument is nothing but a bunch of crap as it relates to BB.  UF had a couple of great years, but FL BB is nothing compared to the inner cities of the Northeast.

So you don't like the hire of Holtz?  What, Vince Lombardi wasn't available?

Lelo had nice records at UT and UL.  Going after him, at the time, probably looked like a nice get.  Has it worked out?  Not so much.  But how do you fault the AD?

He has overseen the huge improvements on campus.  And they are significant improvements.  We don't yet know how it will relate to on the field performance, but it would be nice to give Lelo and Heath some time to see how it works out.  I don't see how much better he could have done for the relatively short time he's been here.  He'll fire guys when the time comes.  Your idea of when that time is and his might be a bit different. 

And just for argument sakes, what coaches in baseball, BB and football would you have brought in at the same salaries?

I usually start these threads and then just sit back and read, but I had to chime in again on this one.

You're making a whole lot of false assumptions about coaching hires or program successes that have absolutely nothing to do with why I am the anti-DW fan.  Suffice to say, it is for absolutely none of the reasons you list above.  Enough said.

Archived