• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why is Fennelly so ridiculously anti-USF?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

I've said this before, but I've been a Tampa resident all of my life, and grew up reading the Tribune. I have NEVER liked this ass clown. I severaly dislike the format in which he writes his columns, and has always been anti-USF. Instead of complaining, write the Tribune and let them know how much of a better paper they would be without letting this guy muddy up their paper with his awful writing.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

it's an opinion...everybody's got one

• Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

He's entitled to his opinion. He didn't write anything a lot different than some on this board have written. I suggest that when you see an article from him you do one of three things,  

1 - read it

2 - ignore it

or

3 - delete it.

Quite glib.  Well, I did option (1), and also took advantage of unlisted option (4), which was to start a thread to open discussion with others regarding what he wrote.  I agree that he's entitled to his opinions, as am I entitled to mine.  Fortunately, I have this wonderful blog to express them, while he has to make due with the Tampa Tribune.  

• Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

Point taken.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

In fact, here are a few examples of what I mean:

"The reality is that this basketball program is up against it in the Big East, always has been, always will be."

We will always be up against it in the Big East in basketball.

"The football team can't even win the Big East. What chance does basketball have?"

when has the football team won the Big East?  Note, he didn't say the football could never win it.

"It's all part of USF's delusions of big time, which have paid off financially, but which present slight problems when you have a Conference USA basketball program trapped in a Big East body."

Okay, this goes a little far.

"It's not going to happen, which is why wins like Tuesday will never be anything more than isolated incidents, no pattern, no real signpost to the promised land."

There has been no evidence to suggest that our basketball team will ever be consistently competitive in the Big East.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

"It's not going to happen, which is why wins like Tuesday will never be anything more than isolated incidents, no pattern, no real signpost to the promised land."

There has been no evidence to suggest that our basketball team will ever be consistently competitive in the Big East.

What was last season then?

Our program can be competitive. It's obvious that recruiting needs to pick up and pick up rapidly, but the pieces are in place with the new practice facility and renovated dome.

• Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

I assume he is hanging on the word consistently

• Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

"The reality is that this basketball program is up against it in the Big East, always has been, always will be."

We will always be up against it in the Big East in basketball.

I'm not even sure I know what "up against it" means.  Will the Big East always be an extremely competitive conference in basketball?  Yes, of course.  But it's competitive for everyone.  Using that same logic all 16 (soon to be at least 17) basketball schools will be "up against it."

"The football team can't even win the Big East. What chance does basketball have?"

when has the football team won the Big East?  Note, he didn't say the football could never win it.

The suggestion is that USF SHOULD have won the Big East by now, only five years into the fight.  Similar standards don't apply elsewhere, however.  (Has Miami, with a far superior tradition of winning, won the ACC since it joined that conference?)  Fennelly just seems too lazy to dig beyond the top layer of analysis.

"It's all part of USF's delusions of big time, which have paid off financially, but which present slight problems when you have a Conference USA basketball program trapped in a Big East body."

Okay, this goes a little far.

As noted, USF is ambitious.  This angers some people who are fans of other "more established" programs.  Why, doesn't USF know it's place?  ::)  

I agree 100% with South_Florida_Flip's comment.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

What was last season then?

A statistical outlier.

Our program can be competitive. It's obvious that recruiting needs to pick up and pick up rapidly, but the pieces are in place with the new practice facility and renovated dome.

I think and hope that we can be competitive on a regular basis.  However, it doesn't look like we are even trending up.

Archived