• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's recruiting classes ranked higher than Cincy's in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

If WVU's recruiting classes were so superior, how come they couldn't win the conference title in 2008 and 2009?

our record in the BE reflects it?!?  UC and UConn WON the Big East... with similar recruiting classes (ranking-wise) than us.. proof that their coaching staffs knew how to develop talent

I never said WVU's classes were "so superior" that they could make up for inept coaching since RichRod left (his BCS win was a fluke).

FYI, in terms of BE recruiting from Rivals:

2010 #1 WVU

2009 #1 WVU

2008 #2 WVU

2007 #1 WVU

2006 #5 WVU

2005 #1 WVU

2004 #2 WVU

They've been the #1 BE class more than they've been anything else combined. It's not surprising to me they've also been the conference torch bearer.

The difference between WVU and Cincy is that when they played BCS level teams they were able to compete because they had BCS talent on the field not just on the sidelines. The sideline talent of Kelly and Edsall was no match for the programs they faced in their bowl games.

maybe the good coaches themselves know how to evaluate talent and develop it in order to win regardless of where rivals ranks them?

perhaps they found the better talent all along?

they certainly built better teams.

It's odd how a program that has success with lower rated rivals recruits all of a sudden starts to bring in higher rated recruits after they have had success.

which comes first? the higher rated recruits then the winning ? or the winning  and then the higher rated recruits?

I think you will find that rivals rates recruiting classes based on how successful a coach and a program have been in the recent past. that's certainly the case with cincy, TCU, Boise state, Utah and many others.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

If WVU's recruiting classes were so superior, how come they couldn't win the conference title in 2008 and 2009?

our record in the BE reflects it?!?  UC and UConn WON the Big East... with similar recruiting classes (ranking-wise) than us.. proof that their coaching staffs knew how to develop talent

I never said WVU's classes were "so superior" that they could make up for inept coaching since RichRod left (his BCS win was a fluke).

2010 #1 WVU

2009 #1 WVU

2008 #2 WVU

2007 #1 WVU

2006 #5 WVU

2005 #1 WVU

2004 #2 WVU

They've been the #1 BE class more than they've been anything else combined. It's not surprising to me they've also been the conference torch bearer.

The difference between WVU and Cincy is that when they played BCS level teams they were able to compete because they had BCS talent on the field not just on the sidelines. The sideline talent of Kelly and Edsall was no match for the programs they faced in their bowl games.

maybe the good coaches themselves know how to evaluate talent and develop it in order to win regardless of where rivals ranks them?

perhaps they found the better talent all along?

they certainly built better teams.

It's odd how a program that has success with lower rated rivals recruits all of a sudden starts to bring in higher rated recruits after they have had success.

which comes first? the higher rated recruits then the winning ? or the winning  and then the higher rated recruits?

I think you will find that rivals rates recruiting classes based on how successful a coach and a program have been in the recent past. that's certainly the case with cincy, TCU, Boise state, Utah and many others.

That and based on how many subscribers they get after a team starts winning.

• Content Count:  521
  • Days Won:  0

2010 #1 WVU

2009 #1 WVU

2008 #2 WVU

2007 #1 WVU

2006 #5 WVU

2005 #1 WVU

2004 #2 WVU

BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION, talent couldn't make up for COACHING.. so you're kind of proving my point in that coaching is the end all be all in college football

and i like how you illustrated how WVU has had the top recruiting classes in the Big East, how you say they are the torch bearers of the conference, and how when they play BCS level talent teams they are able to compete because they have BCS talent on the field....

2010 Champs Sports Citrus Bowl

North Carolina State 23 West Virginia 7

let's not forget our very own Skip Holtz's ECU Pirates beating WVU in Bill Stewart's first year as head coach.. but yea, ECU won that game because they have "BCS level talent" on the field, right?  ::)

i bet WVU would gladly trade in those "top rated BE recruiting rankings" for a good coach right about now

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

2010 #1 WVU

2009 #1 WVU

2008 #2 WVU

2007 #1 WVU

2006 #5 WVU

2005 #1 WVU

2004 #2 WVU

BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION, talent couldn't make up for COACHING.. so you're kind of proving my point in that coaching is the end all be all in college football

and i like how you illustrated how WVU has had the top recruiting classes in the Big East, how you say they are the torch bearers of the conference, and how when they play BCS level talent teams they are able to compete because they have BCS talent on the field....

2010 Champs Sports Citrus Bowl

North Carolina State 23 West Virginia 7

let's not forget our very own Skip Holtz's ECU Pirates beating WVU in Bill Stewart's first year as head coach.. but yea, ECU won that game because they have "BCS level talent" on the field, right?   ::)

i bet WVU would gladly trade in those "top rated BE recruiting rankings" for a good coach right about now

I think what he's saying is you need both...WV had the talent and the coach and won BCS games....cincy had the coach, but without the talent they couldn't get it done....stewart has the talent, but he's not the coach, therefore, he hasn't gotten it done.

I think what he's saying is you need both...WV had the talent and the coach and won BCS games....cincy had the coach, but without the talent they couldn't get it done....stewart has the talent, but he's not the coach, therefore, he hasn't gotten it done.

With all do respect, I disagree..  here are Cincy's recruiting classes since 2002 until they won the BE title on scout:

2002- #95

2003- #84

2004- #75

2005- #70

2006- #70

2007- #80

by NO indication, based upon that logic, should they even be sniffing a conference title... based upon that logic, if phil jackson or john wooden was reborn and reincarnated into a college football coach, there is no way, with that level of talent, even they could coach them up to be conference champs in a BCS conference.. sorry.. [again, using that logic, which i disagree with]

yess, in 2007 they were ranked EIGHTY.. out of 119-- the year before they won the darn conference!  my point is, this whole recruiting stuff is a big sham in my opinion.. i think its become way overblown by ESPN as well as today's twitter/facebook media generation.. outside of the top 15-20 recruits, the entire thing is a huge crapshoot that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.. of course we should feel happy for these kids getting scholarships and making decisions, but c'mon, i think its getting a little ridiculous.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

^ I'm through arguing with you. You obviously have your opinion and I have mine. 2000bull nailed it, I'm just saying while coaching is important so is recruiting. Neither is an "end all be all" which were your words.

You put Cincy in any other Big 6 conference and they don't win with their talent. You put an overrated coach like Stoops on the sideline of a very talented team (Oklahoma) and they perform poorly against other talented teams.

Recruiting rankings aren't a sham, overblown by others? Sure, I'll agree with that.

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

^ I'm through arguing with you. You obviously have your opinion and I have mine. 2000bull nailed it, I'm just saying while coaching is important so is recruiting. Neither is an "end all be all" which were your words.

You put Cincy in any other Big 6 conference and they don't win with their talent. You put an overrated coach like Stoops on the sideline of a very talented team (Oklahoma) and they perform poorly against other talented teams.

Recruiting rankings aren't a sham, overblown by others? Sure, I'll agree with that.

I'm with you 100%.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

With all do respect, I disagree..  here are Cincy's recruiting classes since 2002 until they won the BE title on scout:

2002- #95

2003- #84

2004- #75

2005- #70

2006- #70

2007- #80

by NO indication, based upon that logic, should they even be sniffing a conference title... based upon that logic, if phil jackson or john wooden was reborn and reincarnated into a college football coach, there is no way, with that level of talent, even they could coach them up to be conference champs in a BCS conference.. sorry.. [again, using that logic, which i disagree with]

yess, in 2007 they were ranked EIGHTY.. out of 119-- the year before they won the darn conference!  my point is, this whole recruiting stuff is a big sham in my opinion.. i think its become way overblown by ESPN as well as today's twitter/facebook media generation.. outside of the top 15-20 recruits, the entire thing is a huge crapshoot that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.. of course we should feel happy for these kids getting scholarships and making decisions, but c'mon, i think its getting a little ridiculous.

All you're really doing with this logic is showing just how bad the Big East sucks as a conference right now ... I agree that all this recruiting ******** is blown way out of proportion but there is SOME validity to it.

All you're really doing with this logic is showing just how bad the Big East ***** as a conference right now ... I agree that all this recruiting ******** is blown way out of proportion but there is SOME validity to it.

OK, lets take a sample from the presumed "best" conference in america: the SEC

here are UGA's recruiting classes of the past 4 years:

2007- #17

2008- #5

2009- #4

2010- #21

this year- #6

2010 Liberty Bowl

UCF 10

UGA 6

When Aaron Murray and Orsen Charles were seniors at Plant, the entire nation went after them, and they would have been our prized-recruits here at USF if they stayed at home.. they can't even beat UCF.  ok what gives?  I mean c'mon, just by having top 20 talent alone, all UGA would have to do is show up to beat UCF.. is the SEC a crap conference?

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

All you're really doing with this logic is showing just how bad the Big East ***** as a conference right now ... I agree that all this recruiting ******** is blown way out of proportion but there is SOME validity to it.

OK, lets take a sample from the presumed "best" conference in america: the SEC

here are UGA's recruiting classes of the past 4 years:

2007- #17

2008- #5

2009- #4

2010- #21

this year- #6

2010 Liberty Bowl

UCF 10

UGA 6

When Aaron Murray and Orsen Charles were seniors at Plant, the entire nation went after them, and they would have been our prized-recruits here at USF if they stayed at home.. they can't even beat UCF.  ok what gives?  I mean c'mon, just by having top 20 talent alone, all UGA would have to do is show up to beat UCF.. is the SEC a crap conference?

You keep naming examples with terrible coaches.

Yes, UGA lost with a terrible coach to UCF. It's also no surprise their coach has been on the hot seat for some time.

Archived