• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Athletics Facilities Discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

ha your rendering makes mine irrelevant... thats exactly what I was hoping to find before I made it.... good find!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  334

It's a perfect fit! I'm curious as to what the rec fields just north of the rec softball fields are going to be...I drove by the other day and they are doing something back there. Are they going to be astro turf? Is that a field hockey field I see as well?!?

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

It's a perfect fit! I'm curious as to what the rec fields just north of the rec softball fields are going to be...I drove by the other day and they are doing something back there. Are they going to be astro turf? Is that a field hockey field I see as well?!?

I believe they will be IM fields...closer to the dorms. Thats what the master plan has anyways.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

162264283.jpg

The new USF Baseball Stadium, which replaces Red McEwen Field, has 1,500 permanent seats and is scheduled to open later this month. Construction began in mid-June 2010.

New stadiums almost ready to open

By Michael Manganello, SPORTS EDITOR

Published: Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Updated: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 08:02

When Central Connecticut University's softball team visits Tampa on Feb. 24, it will be the first game in a new era for the South Florida softball and baseball teams.

That's the date the USF softball team is scheduled to move into its new home in the southeastern part of campus. The baseball team will step into a new, adjacent stadium shortly after.

"The original plan for baseball and softball was to remodel and upgrade the existing baseball stadium," said Bill Holster, senior project manager for R.R. Simmons Construction Company. "Softball was going on the east side of Sycamore in a bowl stadium with aluminum bleachers."

When USF announced they were building two new stadiums, different construction companies placed bids for the job. R.R. Simmons won the project and a group of staff worked to design the structures.

Holster oversaw the design and construction of the stadiums, which were both built on one construction site. Between the two stadiums is a concourse featuring restrooms, concessions and souvenir stands.

"We had the vision to rotate baseball 90 degrees and put softball right next to it," he said. "That way they shared utilities and concessions. Instead of having two separate facilities in two parts of campus, we combined them."

The new softball stadium sits just south of the new baseball stadium and features 700 permanent folding seats, a massive upgrade from the old metal bleachers, which had seating room for about 100 people.

The dugouts are the largest dugouts of any softball stadium in the country and feature bathrooms at the end of each dugout. The old stadium just had portable restrooms outside of the fence.

Fans sitting in the front row will be sitting at field level, separated from home plate by about 30 feet and a nylon safety net.

The new baseball stadium is even larger, with permanent seating for 1,500 fans and the capability to expand with temporary seating for Big East or NCAA Tournament games.

The baseball stadium also features massive dugouts and will see the Bulls move from the third base dugout to the first base dugout — the traditional side for home teams nationwide.

Both stadiums will feature full video scoreboards and state-of-the-art sound systems.

The scoreboard in the baseball stadium is particularly impressive. Situated in right centerfield above permanent concrete batting cages — a feature both stadiums now enjoy — the scoreboard will be 50 by 57 feet, according to Holster. The old baseball stadium, Red McEwen Field, did not have a video board.

Both stadiums also feature picnic areas, party decks and grassy berm areas where fans can sit for a unique ballpark experience.

Fans will also be able to watch from a raised concourse at press box height. This open-air breezeway will offer high-top tables and permanent seats overlooking the field.

The new stadiums are among the best in the nation and were built in the hopes that USF will be able to draw in more prized national recruits and help the programs compete for Big East and national championships, Holster said.

"Our design process took about six months, our construction starting about the 15th of June, so you're looking at about eight months to do the whole facility," he said.

R.R. Simmons is also constructing the Pam and Les Muma Basketball Center and the new USF Soccer Stadium.

http://www.usforacle.com/new-stadiums-almost-ready-to-open-1.2469231

I'm really excited. Also curious to see how those shadows will play out for evening games. And its going to SUCK to play right field as the sun sets behind the SunDome

• Content Count:  827

162264283.jpg

The new USF Baseball Stadium, which replaces Red McEwen Field, has 1,500 permanent seats and is scheduled to open later this month. Construction began in mid-June 2010.

New stadiums almost ready to open

By Michael Manganello, SPORTS EDITOR

Published: Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Updated: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 08:02

When Central Connecticut University's softball team visits Tampa on Feb. 24, it will be the first game in a new era for the South Florida softball and baseball teams.

That's the date the USF softball team is scheduled to move into its new home in the southeastern part of campus. The baseball team will step into a new, adjacent stadium shortly after.

"The original plan for baseball and softball was to remodel and upgrade the existing baseball stadium," said Bill Holster, senior project manager for R.R. Simmons Construction Company. "Softball was going on the east side of Sycamore in a bowl stadium with aluminum bleachers."

When USF announced they were building two new stadiums, different construction companies placed bids for the job. R.R. Simmons won the project and a group of staff worked to design the structures.

Holster oversaw the design and construction of the stadiums, which were both built on one construction site. Between the two stadiums is a concourse featuring restrooms, concessions and souvenir stands.

"We had the vision to rotate baseball 90 degrees and put softball right next to it," he said. "That way they shared utilities and concessions. Instead of having two separate facilities in two parts of campus, we combined them."

The new softball stadium sits just south of the new baseball stadium and features 700 permanent folding seats, a massive upgrade from the old metal bleachers, which had seating room for about 100 people.

The dugouts are the largest dugouts of any softball stadium in the country and feature bathrooms at the end of each dugout. The old stadium just had portable restrooms outside of the fence.

Fans sitting in the front row will be sitting at field level, separated from home plate by about 30 feet and a nylon safety net.

The new baseball stadium is even larger, with permanent seating for 1,500 fans and the capability to expand with temporary seating for Big East or NCAA Tournament games.

The baseball stadium also features massive dugouts and will see the Bulls move from the third base dugout to the first base dugout — the traditional side for home teams nationwide.

Both stadiums will feature full video scoreboards and state-of-the-art sound systems.

The scoreboard in the baseball stadium is particularly impressive. Situated in right centerfield above permanent concrete batting cages — a feature both stadiums now enjoy — the scoreboard will be 50 by 57 feet, according to Holster. The old baseball stadium, Red McEwen Field, did not have a video board.

Both stadiums also feature picnic areas, party decks and grassy berm areas where fans can sit for a unique ballpark experience.

Fans will also be able to watch from a raised concourse at press box height. This open-air breezeway will offer high-top tables and permanent seats overlooking the field.

The new stadiums are among the best in the nation and were built in the hopes that USF will be able to draw in more prized national recruits and help the programs compete for Big East and national championships, Holster said.

"Our design process took about six months, our construction starting about the 15th of June, so you're looking at about eight months to do the whole facility," he said.

R.R. Simmons is also constructing the Pam and Les Muma Basketball Center and the new USF Soccer Stadium.

http://www.usforacle.com/new-stadiums-almost-ready-to-open-1.2469231

I'm really excited.  Also curious to see how those shadows will play out for evening games. And its going to SUCK to play right field as the sun sets behind the SunDome

I don't think the shadows will play a huge factor. All night games start at 7pm so the sun will be pretty low by then. I am guessing that picture was taken between 3 - 5pm. (Just a guess). And the sun in right field will be no different than it was in the past for left field, which never seemed to be a big issue in the past.

Can't wait till next weekend!

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Factor in daylight savings time next month and shadows will definitely come in to play on that field.

• Content Count:  809

Factor in daylight savings time next month and shadows will definitely come in to play on that field.

Big deal about the shadows. It's part of the game.

Find me a TRUE outdoor baseball stadium that doesn't have shadows cast on it when the sun is setting.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

My response was to the comment about shadows not being a huge factor. It looks like they will be and they certainly are part of the game.

• Content Count:  827

And once again those pics were taken earlier in the day then when the Bulls games start @ 7pm. The only time when shadows are really a factor is when the pitcher is in the sun and the batter is in the shadow or vice versa. My guess is when the 7pm start time (even when daylight savings starts) the full shadow will be past the pitchers mound by then and thus shadows really won't be an issue.

Archived