• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How are ticket sales for the MCCB looking?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

i hope we don't end up losing money.  how much do we need to sell?  is there a figure in terms of dollars?

We wont lose money, but we'll probably only end up a couple hundred thousand over the gross income from the bowl.

it's almost a given we will lose money...

We wont lose money.

wanna bet?

maybe the BE gives us enough to cover expenses but the BE will not get paid enough by the bowl to cover our expenses.

From Skip Holtz's first season with USF Bulls finds success with few scores - By Greg Auman - Dec 8 2010

BIG BILL: One difference between the Meineke Car Care Bowl and USF's last two bowls is a higher expectation of ticket sales. Teams in Charlotte are obligated to buy 12,500 tickets each, as opposed to 10,000 for recent bowls in Toronto and St. Petersburg.

When USF made its first bowl appearance in Charlotte in 2005, the Bulls sold about 6,100 tickets — they'll be fortunate to sell that many this year — and still had to spend $380,000 on unsold tickets, the single largest bowl expense that season and just short of the combined cost of travel, lodging and food for USF's entire athletic department travel party.

USF will get a check for $1.1 million from the Big East as its bowl payout, as well as a smaller payment to defray travel costs, expected to be between $100,000 and $200,000.

I'm going to just assume we'll sell around the same number of tickets, although we likely wont.  It shouldn't be off by too many.

USF Expenses:

- Tickets: $380,000

- travel expenses: ~$400,000 [Guesstimate of the just short the combined... statement above]

Total expenses: ~$780,000

Total Revenues: ~$1,200,000

We're still going to make money, just not a ton.

perhaps that is the case, I'd like to see the breakdown though. sports illustrated did an article on bowl payouts and so did Dan Wetzel.

They said Central Michigan spent $560k going to mobile. Virginia Tech spent close to $4M going to the orange bowl. they estimated they lost $1.2M last year.

they said Florida made a profit of $47,000 in 2009 when they won the national championship!

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/10/13/dollars-and-nonsense-losing-money-for-priceless-exposure/?ncid=edlinkusspor00000003

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

perhaps that is the case, I'd like to see the breakdown though. sports illustrated did an article on bowl payouts and so did Dan Wetzel.

They said Central Michigan spent $560k going to mobile. Virginia Tech spent close to $4M going to the orange bowl. they estimated they lost $1.2M last year.

they said Florida made a profit of $47,000 in 2009 when they won the national championship!

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/10/13/dollars-and-nonsense-losing-money-for-priceless-exposure/?ncid=edlinkusspor00000003

Now that's a question for someone else.  All I can do is point out the articles specifying USF, and that one says we're in a position to make a little bit of money.

to be fair, he is using 2005 cost figures. charlotte increased it's payout to the BE this year so it's quite possible that they may require teams to stay for an additional night or two. tickets may also be more expensive so buybacks could be more.

I wonder what the BE paid out in 2005 and if we made any money? not the same amount I'm sure.

Now that's a question for someone else.  All I can do is point out the articles specifying USF, and that one says we're in a position to make a little bit of money.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

to be fair, he is using 2005 cost figures. charlotte increased it's payout to the BE this year so it's quite possible that they may require teams to stay for an additional night or two. tickets may also be more expensive so buybacks could be more.

I wonder what the BE paid out in 2005 and if we made any money? not the same amount I'm sure.

Off the top of my head I seem to recall we ended up around $300,000 positive that year.  That's why I was almost certain we were in the green this year as well.

I can't source the 2005 game; Just going off my memories.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

In related topics, showing different ends of the spectrum, Louisville has sold their 10K for the BOB Bowl, expecting to bring around 15K while looks like UConn will be eating around $2.5M worth of tickets for the Fiesta Bowl ...

Off the top of my head I seem to recall we ended up around $300,000 positive that year.  That's why I was almost certain we were in the green this year as well.

I can't source the 2005 game; Just going off my memories.

looks like Greg said they made $82,000 in 2005.

interesting that the BE payout for papa john's is $1.1M and they "made" $188,000 in 2006.

I would guess that with the higher ticket prices for this year's bowl we might not make out all that well.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/25/Sports/USF_scores_in_the_wal.shtml

• Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

Its gonna be the band and a handful of beefstuds for this bowl game.

One of the biggest schools in the nation and we can't get ANYONE behind our team...

Brutal...

GO BULLS!!!

8va

• Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

Just have to win more next year. Start dominating next season and those bandwagon fools will be packing the stadium. Sucks that Tampa has so many bandwagon fans, but it is what it is.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Clemson is a couple hours from Charlotte. They'll have plenty of people there

Archived