• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Any chance we win a conference game this year?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,576
  • Days Won:  423

kind of sad when we have to pick the 2nd and 3rd worse teams in conference and make an argument of how we can MAYBE beat them.

For who said St. Johns, we have no shot.  I say 1-2 wins in conference this year.  Bad and mid level conference teams salivate to play us, they see a not so common conference win. We'll lose those.  We will prob sneak up on a ranked team who all blacked out in Channelside the night before to sneak our 1 W...

Again, why did a "football school" who cant compete in football...join a basketball powerhouse conference?

Someone should get an AD for dummies book over to out athletic department with the quickness

Well we truned down the SEC because we didn't want to play UF every year.  We turned down the ACC because we said there would be to many Fl teams in the conference.  We turned down the Big-10 because it gets to cold up there during football season.  We turned down the Big-12 because Texas took more then their fair share of the conference money.  And last but not least we turned down the Pac-10 because we didn't want to be associated with cheaters like USC.

Does that clear it up for ya Bruce ?

not really,  link?

Are you being serious?

You'll have to excuse Bruce, he's from New York .... with apologies to our sane Bull New Yorkers.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

kind of sad when we have to pick the 2nd and 3rd worse teams in conference and make an argument of how we can MAYBE beat them.

For who said St. Johns, we have no shot.  I say 1-2 wins in conference this year.  Bad and mid level conference teams salivate to play us, they see a not so common conference win. We'll lose those.  We will prob sneak up on a ranked team who all blacked out in Channelside the night before to sneak our 1 W...

Again, why did a "football school" who cant compete in football...join a basketball powerhouse conference?

Someone should get an AD for dummies book over to out athletic department with the quickness

Big East = MONEY.. ****, people, everything we do is tied to the dollar.  besides, when did we become a "football school".  That is our newest sport.  We are competitive in many other BE sports. 

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

As of right now this is how I see the BE games going win/loss

Dec 28 Seton Hall  at South Orange, N.J. - Loss(even w/o Hazell)

Dec 31 Connecticut  at Storrs, Conn - Loss

Jan 06 Villanova Tampa - Loss  

Jan 09 Louisville  Tampa - Loss

Jan 12 Cincinnati at Cincinnati, Ohio - Loss

Jan 16 Providence  Tampa - Win

Jan 20 Rutgers at Newark, N.J. - Loss

Jan 23 West Virginia at Morgantown, W.V. - Loss

Jan 27 DePaul Tampa - Loss ( Brandon Young and Cleveland Melvin- Young was the PG we wanted badly and Melvin was the forward we wanted badly in the 2010 class. Both guys have been great for Purnell. What a combo Young and Larkin will be in the backcourt the next few seasons, wow!!) Yep could have been USF with a bight future.

Feb 02 Providence  at Providence, R.I. - Loss

Feb 05 Syracuse Tampa - Loss

Feb 09 Marquette Tampa - Loss

Feb 12 Notre Dame Tampa - Loss

Feb 16 Pittsburgh  at Pittsburgh, Pa. - Loss

Feb 19 Georgetown  Tampa - Loss

Feb 26 DePaul at Chicago, Ill. - Loss  

Mar 02 Pittsburgh Tampa - Loss

Mar 05 St. John's  at Queens, N.Y. - Loss

Big East record of 1 - 17 (That Depaul game in Tampa could be a win for USF, it's very much a toss-up game.)

Coaching change???

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Coaching change???

Hope so!!!

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Yawn...  even if we went 1-17 in conference, there wouldn't be a coaching change.  Not this year.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

And who would take over? USF is a tough, tough gig, and neither the money nor the facilities are there yet.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,576
  • Days Won:  423

And who would take over? USF is a tough, tough gig, and neither the money nor the facilities are there yet.

We have officialy have the "Anybody But Stan Fun Bunch" .... Just like we had the "Anybody But Mac Fun Bunch" and the "Anybody But Seth Fun Bunch" ... Some just don't get it.

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

And who would take over? USF is a tough, tough gig, and neither the money nor the  facilities are there yet.

As a Yankees fan I had no idea that Joe Giradi would be the next manager after Torre. As a 49ers fan I had no idea that George Seifert would succeed Bill Walsh. Had no idea that Steve Mariucci would succeed him, Dennis Erickson succeeding Mariucci, or Mike Nolan succeeding Erickson. I mean how would I know that? That's not my job to know but the powers to be in charge knew who they would hire, it's THEIR job to know. I can go on for days with those kinds of examples.

DePaul is in worse shape then USF(at least they were) yet they went out and hired Oliver Purnell away from Clemson. Don't act like USF isn't capable if they really want to. Once again who knew Purnell would come coach a down and out school like DePaul? The answer is nobody that wasn't a higher up in that athletic department or major booster. USF is a more attractive job now then when Heath came on board. Btw nobody knew he would coach here either.

• Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

BTW, for the record, I did not ask the question as a "Fire Heath" issue.  Just looking at the season as we begin and we do not look like we have the size or the strength to play BE ball.  I watch the other programs and it is scary to think they will pound us like a high school players against a junior high. 

Now, we have won since the post, but I still look at the powerhouses and wonder if we will have a solid game during conference play.  Is that coaching?  Heath cannot hide behind recruiting shortfalls, he has had plenty of time to recruit.  Is it the players not doing their part?  Not getting physical enough? perhaps, but I will say they also do not look that physical.  Is it just that we do not get the big player ever wanting to play down here? Facilities? Program succees?

It is probably all of this, I do hold myself out as an expert on basketball, I did not play it in HS, and am not even a fanatic, just a Bulls fan who watches from the sidelines, but I can see a mismatch.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Stan Heath is a very good coach and for $700,000 he is a "steal" relatively speaking.  I also think Gus being so average (10 ppg) along with shoddy pg play (Crater is improving, but cannot drive)Has this team really struggling.

I'm sure most had Gus averaging about 17 ppg.  Add 7 points as an average to the games he has played and we are probably 8-4 or 9-3 (all things being equal).  Unfortunately our "star" player drank a major case of suckage (he is still very good though, just not showing it) during the offseason and Haynes and Noriega are not as good as advertised. 

Hopefully miracles ensue and we finish the season with about a 0.500 record.

Archived