• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz: QB change made because of injury, not performance (St. Pete Times)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I dont think we are much better off with Eveld as a start in my opinion. Just get BJ healthy and start the competition in spring ball

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Where were all the people demanding Daniels be yanked last year, or before this year?

To be clear, I have been fairly consistent in ridiculing those calling for BJ to be benched.  We have a true freshmen walk-on, so I really expected much worse.  I think if we had put Eveld in earlier in the season that probalby would have been true.  I got to eat some crow, he played much better that I expected.

Not that you asked, but I feel like I should state that my opinion all year has been that Holtz is the only person in a position to make an educated decision on this, and as long as he felt like Daniels was the best choice, that was good enough for me. That's still my position.

It's my position to state that your position on the positioning of your position is a position.

Are you trying to tell me I'm out of position?!?

I dont think we are much better off with Eveld as a start in my opinion. Just get BJ healthy and start the competition in spring ball

I don't think either is going to win the game by themselves, but based on what we saw today I'm hopeful that both will at least be capable of not turning the ball over and making a couple of big throws. It's still going to be up to the defense and special teams though, I think.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

it's kind of strange to see what appears to be the hatred of BJ with the joy expressed over "BJ is BENCHED" during this game when last year he was our hero who made beating FSU possible-- after replacing an injured Matt Grothe to start the game.

Can you imagine someone being happy about a kid being hurt who is trying his best to win a game you are watching? That is pathetic.

I am happy with the win and that Eveld was able to get it done. But if BJ is ok next week, he needs to play.

I'm a BJ Daniels supporter forever. I love the kid's game and what he can do and that he is just a great person with a good head on his shoulders. That said, he just isn't right this year in the passing game. I'm not sure if its mechanics or what but he's just not making the throws. The past few games he is seeing the field correctly and making great reads which means he is coming along as a QB but his throws are way off. I wonder if it's one of his injuries or if he is just trying to change his throwing motion. Look at Tebow when he changed his motion. It takes time to get used to that.....

The entire offense had to adjust to the new system--- and perhaps the toughest challenge was to the linemen who were recruited for zone blocking. Anyway== I doubt BJ can recover by next week. Hamstring injuries take longer than that. It might be best to give Eveld all the reps this week and prep him to start. Let BJ recover and work on getting ready for whatever bowl game we end up in. We also should probably give Landi some reps in case we need an emergency backup.

It would be so sweet to knock UConn off of the BCS picture

• Content Count:  10,369

I wasn't making that leap-- I just know that I've seen people happy about it when others have gone down to injury, paving the way for their guy (at that moment) to start playing. Some people felt that happened with Pat Julmiste-- even though he only left slightly earlier than what Leavitt had planned for that 1-AA warm up game due to a minor injury.

Sorry if I made it sound like the original poster was excited over a player getting hurt. They did seem happy he was out of there whatever the reason. We had similar fans act that way about every single QB this program has ever had-- including Grothe.

You are spot on.  My season tickets used to be next to some fools that booed Pat Julmiste on senior day.  Now I am not going to condone that kind of activity even at professional events, but at least those guys are professionals.  These are amateur athletes representing our school and some times we forget that.

And yeah, second string QB is almost always the most popular guy on the team.

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I am personally doubtful BJ plays next week.  The qb run at the goal line he just fell over.  No push, no cut, nothing.  Something is wrong with the leg.  However if he plays, I'll be rooting for him like I always do.

I think that was the play he hurt himself

He just dropped when he tried to cut and run the opposite way

When I saw him get up, he had a noticeable limp.. and i was in the upper level.

• Content Count:  2,558

it is my duty to remind you guys Go Bulls

• Content Count:  122

BJ is terrible throwing the ball, has been all year (and for most of last year). He consistently misses wide open receivers and throws the ball in places that the receivers have no hope of running after the catch. Hard to execute a screen game with awful passes. Everyone has a lucky day (FSU), but if you look at all BJ's starts it is hard to say he has been a good QB.

Eveld hit the open receivers. Placed the ball so that receivers could run after the catch. I would rather have that then have to rely on a one dimensional offense. BJ had his chance. Lets give Eveld his next week. They can both compete for the starting job this off-season.

• Content Count:  5,881

Where were all the people demanding Daniels be yanked last year, or before this year?

To be clear, I have been fairly consistent in ridiculing those calling for BJ to be benched.  We have a true freshmen walk-on, so I really expected much worse.  I think if we had put Eveld in earlier in the season that probalby would have been true.  I got to eat some crow, he played much better that I expected.

Not that you asked, but I feel like I should state that my opinion all year has been that Holtz is the only person in a position to make an educated decision on this, and as long as he felt like Daniels was the best choice, that was good enough for me. That's still my position.

It's my position to state that your position on the positioning of your position is a position.

Are you trying to tell me I'm out of position?!?

Yes, it is my position to think that you are out of position due to your current positioning on said position.  :P

• Content Count:  3,475

BJ is terrible throwing the ball, has been all year (and for most of last year). He consistently misses wide open receivers and throws the ball in places that the receivers have no hope of running after the catch.

This is the problem with the BJ Daniels haters. If you actually think every throw Daniels ever makes is a bad one, you are watching different games then the ones USF is playing in. Obviously he has made a lot of bad throws, but there have also been many good throws dropped. Those two on the last drive against Pitt, for example, one of which was a screen pass over the middle of the field.

Hard to execute a screen game with awful passes. Everyone has a lucky day (FSU), but if you look at all BJ's starts it is hard to say he has been a good QB.

I agree, but that didn't stop people from saying he was a good quarterback last year. Now some of those same people expect everyone to take their opinions on Daniels as a quarterback seriously.

It has been demonstrated that USF can win big games with BJ Daniels at quarterback. That's all we can ask for until there's a better option at the position. It's possible Eveld is even that better option, but there certainly isn't enough info to make that decision right now. The dude played one half in relief against a defense that knew nothing about him.

Eveld hit the open receivers.

He also made some bad throws and one awful mistake on his feet that could have cost USF the game. I still think that was a safety.

When you blindly ignore all the good things one guy does and all the bad things the other does, of course you're going to think one is better than the other. The coaches, I assume, like to actually analyze entire games, though.

Archived