• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz: QB change made because of injury, not performance (St. Pete Times)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Placed the ball so that receivers could run after the catch.

This and decision making were really the two glaring advantages I saw in Eveld.  Even when BJ completes shorter passes, it often requires the receiver to contort his body in such a way that it is impossible for him to gain any additional yardage.  Eveld was hitting slants and shorter passes on the spot.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,475

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/holtz-daniels-injury-prompted-qb-change

<blockquote><b>Holtz: Daniels injury prompted QB change</b>

MIAMI -- USF coach Skip Holtz said his decision to use true freshman walk-on Bobby Eveld after halftime in Saturday's overtime win at Miami was prompted by B.J. Daniels aggravating his injured quad, and said he'll wait to evaluate Daniels' health before naming a starter for next week's regular-season finale against Connecticut.

Holtz said that Daniels and trainer Steve Walz came to him at halftime and Daniels said he "felt something pop" in his injured leg on an 11-yard run to the 4-yard line just before halftime.

"He wouldn't tell me he couldn't go. He kept saying 'Coach, I'm hurting. I can't run. If you need me to go, I'll go,' " Holtz said. "I said, 'I'm not going to put you out there on one leg.' I turned and looked at Bobby and said 'Let's go. You're up. It's your turn. Somebody has to step up.'"

Daniels stayed on USF's sidelines in the second half and overtime, talking to Eveld and coaches and cheering for his teammates as the Bulls rallied to force overtime, then prevail 23-20. Daniels' numbers weren't good -- 4-for-12 for 39 yards, with 2 rushing yards -- and he was nearly intercepted on an ill-advised lob pass at the end of the first half. Eveld, who had seen only mop-up duty before Saturday, went 8-for-15 for 120 yards in the second half, leading the Bulls on two touchdown drives and scoring on a 1-yard keeper to tie the game with 2 minutes remaining.

"Right now, I don't know," Holtz said about making a decision at quarterback for next week. "Right now, I've got nine guys on this injury report. Let's just see where we are, get back home, get him some treatment and we'll make an evaluation from there with where we are. I don't know whether he'll be able to go yet or not."</blockquote>

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Yeah right.... Bj was playing awful. He coulda came in hurt and performed just as bad as he did in the first half.

• Content Count:  10,369

BJ is a team player, listen to CSH talk about him after the game

He is also one of the classiest guys every to play at USF (and we have had some very classy players).  That doesn't mean he should play or shouldn't play, but a lot of the discussion against him seams so personal!

• Content Count:  2
  • Days Won:  0

I actually was hoping BJ got benched.  To me, the reason he has been a very successful quarterback for us.. is because he is one hell of an athlete.  Being a duel threat allows him to make up where he lacks the most.. which is is passing accuracy.  Every time he tosses the ball, its hit or miss whether it will be a perfect ball, or a completely off target ball.

Before his injury, teams had to adjust their defense completely for his running ability.  The last 2 games, you could tell, the threat just wasnt there, and at that point BJ can only do what he is weakest at, passing.

That being said, BJ is definitely my starter IF and ONLY IF he is healthy.  If he cant run, you put Evald in since it appears he is a better passer.

Then again, in the end Skip and coaches watch both on a daily basis at practice, so they probably know best ;)

• Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

BJ has been injured since the UL game and his play has suffered because of it.  I think Skip knows who gives us the best chance to win, despite what some A$$hole fans on here think.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

BJ has been injured since the UL game and his play has suffered because of it.  I think Skip knows who gives us the best chance to win, despite what some ******* fans on here think.

In no way do I want BJ injured... but there's also no way he makes the throw to Bogan or the slant to Miller in OT... his arm isn't that good.

Archived