• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz: QB change made because of injury, not performance (St. Pete Times)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I am happy with the win and that Eveld was able to get it done. But if BJ is ok next week, he needs to play.

Big leap from being happy a kid got hurt to thinking, after seeing the difference in the offense between the two, Eveld should at least be considered for the start.  Coaching staff will certainly have a tough decision to make.  BJ offers a lot of athletic ability, but Eveld seems to understand the importance of not making the kind of passes BJ made to end the second quarter.  Just watching the last 60 minutes of football, I'd have to say I'd feel more comfortable with Eveld under center.

Personally I don't care who starts, if BJ is healthy the should both see a fair amount of playing time.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I am personally doubtful BJ plays next week.  The qb run at the goal line he just fell over.  No push, no cut, nothing.  Something is wrong with the leg.  However if he plays, I'll be rooting for him like I always do.

• Content Count:  3,475

I am happy with the win and that Eveld was able to get it done. But if BJ is ok next week, he needs to play.

Big leap from being happy a kid got hurt to thinking, after seeing the difference in the offense between the two, Eveld should at least be considered for the start.  Coaching staff will certainly have a tough decision to make.  BJ offers a lot of athletic ability, but Eveld seems to understand the importance of not making the kind of passes BJ made to end the second quarter.  Just watching the last 60 minutes of football, I'd have to say I'd feel more comfortable with Eveld under center.

Personally I don't care who starts, if BJ is healthy the should both see a fair amount of playing time.

I think you're right, both will probably have a chance to play next week, assuming Daniels is healthy enough to go.

• Content Count:  10,369

Where were all the people demanding Daniels be yanked last year, or before this year?

To be clear, I have been fairly consistent in ridiculing those calling for BJ to be benched.  We have a true freshmen walk-on, so I really expected much worse.  I think if we had put Eveld in earlier in the season that probalby would have been true.  I got to eat some crow, he played much better that I expected.

To suggest that you somehow have to call for BJ to be yanked last year out of consistency seems a bit odd.  New observations change opinions.  Last year most people (I think) felt BJ had a lot of natural ability and needed some time to grow and lean how to be a QB.  Well this year he seemed to actually regress in his judgement and decision making.  So I really see nothing inconsistent with calling for the guy to be benched.

ANd to be clear, I haven't seen anyone hoping for him to be injured or celebrating an injury.  When the original poster started this thread it was unclear why BJ was benched - he had his helmet, was walking around on the sidelines, and there was no obvious injury while on the play.  Would seem reasonable given the pathetic first half performance and the near interception at the end that it could have been purely a performance based decision!

• Content Count:  201
  • Days Won:  0

it's kind of strange to see what appears to be the hatred of BJ with the joy expressed over "BJ is BENCHED" during this game when last year he was our hero who made beating FSU possible-- after replacing an injured Matt Grothe to start the game.

Can you imagine someone being happy about a kid being hurt who is trying his best to win a game you are watching? That is pathetic.

To be fair, at the time of the op it wasn't clear if he was pulled because he got hurt in the first half or if he was pulled for lack of performance. I was happy that he was pulled because BJ was just not performing. Would I have preferred that BJ was at full health and able to make the type of plays that I know he is capable of? Of course. But the fact is that BJ hasnt been fully healthy for a couple of games now and I am happy that CSH had enough faith in his backup to make the switch

• Content Count:  201

it's kind of strange to see what appears to be the hatred of BJ with the joy expressed over "BJ is BENCHED" during this game when last year he was our hero who made beating FSU possible-- after replacing an injured Matt Grothe to start the game.

Can you imagine someone being happy about a kid being hurt who is trying his best to win a game you are watching? That is pathetic.

To be fair, at the time of the op it wasn't clear if he was pulled because he got hurt in the first half or if he was pulled for lack of performance. I was happy that he was pulled because BJ was just not performing. Would I have preferred that BJ was at full health and able to make the type of plays that I know he is capable of? Of course. But the fact is that BJ hasnt been fully healthy for a couple of games now and I am happy that CSH had enough faith in his backup to make the switch

• Content Count:  3,475

Where were all the people demanding Daniels be yanked last year, or before this year?

To be clear, I have been fairly consistent in ridiculing those calling for BJ to be benched.  We have a true freshmen walk-on, so I really expected much worse.  I think if we had put Eveld in earlier in the season that probalby would have been true.  I got to eat some crow, he played much better that I expected.

Not that you asked, but I feel like I should state that my opinion all year has been that Holtz is the only person in a position to make an educated decision on this, and as long as he felt like Daniels was the best choice, that was good enough for me. That's still my position.

To suggest that you somehow have to call for BJ to be yanked last year out of consistency seems a bit odd.

That's not what I'm saying. There's no question Daniels has played poorly this year. But many of the comments I see are too close to "Daniels sucks as a quarterback." If that is true, then it would have been true last year too. If it's NOT true, then his poor play must be explained at least in part by other things, such as injuries, the coaching change, the crappy receiver play for most of the year, etc. If you thought Daniels was a good choice at quarterback last year, than it makes no sense to say he can't play quarterback this year.

• Content Count:  1,079

I'm a BJ Daniels supporter forever. I love the kid's game and what he can do and that he is just a great person with a good head on his shoulders. That said, he just isn't right this year in the passing game. I'm not sure if its mechanics or what but he's just not making the throws. The past few games he is seeing the field correctly and making great reads which means he is coming along as a QB but his throws are way off. I wonder if it's one of his injuries or if he is just trying to change his throwing motion. Look at Tebow when he changed his motion. It takes time to get used to that.....

• Content Count:  5,881

Not that you asked, but I feel like I should state that my opinion all year has been that Holtz is the only person in a position to make an educated decision on this, and as long as he felt like Daniels was the best choice, that was good enough for me. That's still my position.

It's my position to state that your position on the positioning of your position is a position.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I wasn't making that leap-- I just know that I've seen people happy about it when others have gone down to injury, paving the way for their guy (at that moment) to start playing. Some people felt that happened with Pat Julmiste-- even though he only left slightly earlier than what Leavitt had planned for that 1-AA warm up game due to a minor injury.

Sorry if I made it sound like the original poster was excited over a player getting hurt. They did seem happy he was out of there whatever the reason. We had similar fans act that way about every single QB this program has ever had-- including Grothe.

Archived