• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

are you happy with job holtz is doing

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

lol if cincy's QB doesn't get hurt last game we lose as their backup brought them within 10 yards of the end zone.

You have no way of knowing this.  I would agree that if the other two hadn't happen, we probably lose.  On the flip side, had we tackled the punt returner instead of just watching him, the game might not have even been close.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

lol if cincy's QB doesn't get hurt last game we lose as their backup brought them within 10 yards of the end zone. 

If a Bull doesn't fall on Lamar's fumble (or planchers in the end zone) we lose. 

Had the above circumstances not occurred and we lost those 2 games the demeanor of this board would be totally different. 

Not a Leavitt supporter or a Holtz hater, just an observer of the myopic nature of USF fans here.

There are always "what if" plays in ever game that go both ways.  In the Rutgers game, if the 5 guys just make an effort to tackle the punt returner we have them pretty deep in their own territory and they don't have the tying TD.  If Bogan doesn't stumble on that deep pass he catches it in stride for a TD.

If we want to play the what if game, in 2007, if we don't get the stupid ilegal propulsion call and if Mackenzie makes the tackle

on the pass play against  Rutgers we are 6-0 with even more momentum at number 2.  In that same year if Ced Hill doesn't drop the ball that hits him right in the number 9 we win the UCONN game...  Take those two wins and you are probably ranked in the top ten and a BCS berth that year.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Not to discredit the value of what Coach Jim did with this program, I am compelled to offer this. When CJL had this team amped up to start the season, they had very little left with which to finish it. CSH is much more measured in his approach and it is beginning to pay real dividends. The players are fresher. They are making fewer forced errors. BJ is actually becoming MORE comfortable with the offensive playbook as the season progresses and our defense is playing the solid game that it needs to, to keep us in games. The role players on offense are finding their measure. Dontavia, Evan, Moise, Demetrius and Andreas Shields are really starting to settle into assigned roles in this Offense. Our OL is showing their experience and discipline. I sense the real value in having Coach Skip as a teacher and I belive this team will find great value in that. Teams find their own motivation, their are some great stories for those on this team looking for them. Can I get a Skinny shout out here? Even Bonani coming back from a serious injury grounds this team. Our Linebackers are the monster on the Midway. Lot here to like and Coach is bringing them along. I think we are getting ready to add some monster recruiting news to the fray soon as well. Even my VA Tech Brother in Law called on Wed. to razz me, definitely a good sign.

Wow, you're bi-polar.

Nice analysis here.

Still, it's too bad there were the growing pains and slow start to the year this year. Beating even a bad UF would've been a nice feather in our caps, now we get to have an 'L' for the next few years before our next (and possibly last) shot.

• Content Count:  32
  • Days Won:  0

YES!!!

A commentator for ESPN during the Cincy game made an interesting comment about how Holtz and his coaching staff had to come in and first unite this team. That would make it difficult to put a new game plan in place and make it successful from game one.

The coaches are adjusting the game plan; BJ is trying to read the field before he runs or lets loose an INT. He and the offense seem to be letting go of mistakes rather than letting it dictate the game. Our defense is not getting killed on every screen pass and our offense is catching the ball, there are flashes of brilliance in our running game.

So, YES!!!

(any resemblance to an understanding of the game is compliments of HCSH ladies clinic held this past summer)

• Content Count:  5,241

I think he's doing a good job so far.  Ive seen some great adjustments and blitzing I did not see previously with the team. And I actually see BJ improving from last year and the first few games.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,637
  • Days Won:  29

Happy ?

YES !

• Content Count:  21,056
  • Days Won:  38

I was happy with the job Holtz was doing even when we lost to SYR and WVU because I could see what he was TRYING to do with the team.  I am also impressed with the adjustments they made to the offense on the fly.  Remember under the last regime how many times we would wonder when they would finally make some changes on the offense and they rarely did?

• Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

The improvement of the offensive line cannot be understated.  Its amazing how good line play can cure all ills. 

• Content Count:  1,386

too early to tell IMO. Its a transition year. These wins and losses could be flukes, luck, the bounce of the ball...It seems like like he's on track to be doing big things but only time will tell.

What he said.

are you kidding me?  just look at how many LESS penalties we are committing.  If that isn't a tell-all then i don't know what is.

With 8 games so far this year, USF had 5.38 penalties for 42.25 yards and the opponents have 7.38 penalties for 59.88 yards. As you can tell, the opponents have pretty much stayed the same, but USF's have went down.

USF Opp

7.25 60.08 2009 5.75 50.58

8.67 67.67 2008 7.75 63.83

8.67 72.75 2007 6.83 53.50

8.17 71.33 2006 7.50 62.42

9.27 73.73 2005 7.09 57.82

9.64 82.55 2004 6.55 51.73

9.36 83.00 2003 6.27 47.91

11.64 98.73 2002 7.27 60.36 USF record for penalties for a season

10.00 88.00 2001 9.82 82.09

Archived